mtbr member
    Sep 2009

MARIN QUAKE 7.1 SET UP Help:(

Hi Firstly I am a little over weight and bought a Marin QUAKE 7.1 to help me get fit and grow as my abilities get better. But I am such a novice and have no idea how to set the Marzochi AM4 front and Marzochi ROCO TST R (coil) rear and just wondered if any one could answer a few questions

1. my front forks feel a little notchy just at the top as you start to push down is this normal?

2. they also make a sound is this normal

3. been told to change the oil anyone got instructions for this.

4 The ROCO tst r manual it a little vague about rebound it says any more than 5 mm and it could break the spring retainer but 5 mm from where? If it means the end the shock then it has about 20mm.

Really sorry about all the questions but I am brand new to world of full suspension if any one could answer them in lamens terms that would be amazing

Thanks In advance

mtbr member
    1st -- is the bike brand new?

If it is, there's a fair amount of time before it will start to sound/feel normal:

per Zoke --- 10 hours

2nd: Zoke is nitorious for putting forks out there with low, or no oil in the forks. You should at least check it. We often use motorcross fork oil which is much cheaper and a better product.

3rd -- By the way, you'll get more feedback on the fork and rear shock going to the regular FR/DH section of MTBR. Beware, you'll get thrashed on if you don't ask the right questions.
    Feel free to PM me some input on the suspension.

Yes -- they do take a fair amount of fiddlin' before they'll feel normal and there's no doubt you'll do a pretty good chunk of riding you'll be doing before the products get broken in.

4th -- what's a little over weight? are we talking to the point where you might need a heavier spring on the rear shock?

As far as the spring: Just like with Fox and Manipoo... unscrew the spring retainer all the way out so it's just holding on. Then screw tighten in down just about 4 or 5 turns once you reach the threads. Just cause you're a porker doersn't mean you should tighten down the spring real tight. The only thing screwing the spring real tight does is limit your travel. If the bike is just too squishy when you sit on it, you should get a heavier spring.

Quote Originally Posted by QUAKE XLT
    Hi Firstly I am a little over weight and bought a Marin QUAKE 7.1 to help me get fit and grow as my abilities get better. But I am such a novice and have no idea how to set the Marzochi AM4 front and Marzochi ROCO TST R (coil) rear and just wondered if any one could answer a few questions

1. my front forks feel a little notchy just at the top as you start to push down is this normal?

2. they also make a sound is this normal

3. been told to change the oil anyone got instructions for this.

4 The ROCO tst r manual it a little vague about rebound it says any more than 5 mm and it could break the spring retainer but 5 mm from where? If it means the end the shock then it has about 20mm.

Really sorry about all the questions but I am brand new to world of full suspension if any one could answer them in lamens terms that would be amazing

Thanks In advance
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks so much for the info much clearer now Really did not understand that rear shock thing.
    As for the front ones what grade of oil should I use? Is there an instruction video avaliable?
    Sorry for all the questions

mtbr member
    Oil weight -- really depends on a number of things:

rider weight - fork - conditions - rider pref

sometimes we'll mix 5 weight with 15, sometimes we use just 10

shoot, sometimes we just make do with what we have on hand because someone will accidently forget to put the lid on the container so when we're moving stuff around in the shop, all of it spills in the tool box!!!
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...