mtbr member
    Nov 2010

marin pine mountain 95

I have a Marin Pine Mountain frame from 1995 that i am in the process of improving. At the moment there is a set of Rock Shox Judy XC 50mm Travel forks (also from about 1995) on the frame but i would like to use disc brakes on the front and this will involve adding a new set of forks. Does anyone know what fork travel will be suitable for this frame.
    I currently ride cross country around Derbyshire which involves single tracks and rocky roads. I will be getting a new cro moly frame in the next couple of years so I would like to transfer the forks from the marin to the new frame. The marin frame has a 1 1/8" head tube so getting forks to fit shouldn't be a problem. The forks I am interested in are the Rock Shox Sid 100mm travel.
    All advise is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Pine Mountain Resurrection

Quote Originally Posted by markybay
    I have a Marin Pine Mountain frame from 1995 that I am in the process of improving.
    It's cool to find another Pine Mountain rider from before Marin went mainstream and quality went downhill! I had the same Judy fork for years, too.

I have a 1993 Pine Mountain frame that was in storage since 1997 when I moved all the components (then full XTR and custom wheelset) to a Rhygin Juke SS stainless steel frame. Last winter the Rhygin developed a head tube fracture (overheated while welding) so I'm back on the Marin frame again.

I rode the Marin all Spring and Summer and aside from it being 1 1/4lb heavier than the Rhygin, it's really a great frame. I mainly do city riding and some singletrack.

Anyway, it handles my Fox 100mm travel fork just fine.

Have fun on it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Pine Mountain Resurrection Part 2 "The Smell of Fear!!"

thanks for your reply pal.....
    I am not really a mountain bike connoisseur but I do know that the pine mountain 95 model was a quality bike with good spec components that still work well today.My biking buddies were always seemed to be having issues with different bits of their bikes but the Marin just seemed to work well with very little or no maintenance between rides. I have recently upgraded the chainset to 10 speed Shimano XT which works well. I would like to put disc brakes at least on the front which does a new set of forks cause the cantilevers on the bike do struggle in wet muddy rides.
    How does the marin steel frame compare to a more modern bike like the Rhygin Juke SS stainless steel frame you mentioned in your earlier post.

The frame I am looking at swapping it for in the future is an Orange R8 which seems to be a similar style frame, more a XC racing setup.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm not really a connoisseur, but I do like my gear. ;-)

Rhygin went out of business in 2002, I think. It's too bad because their frames were fantastic (titanium weight with steel flex), their business sense was not.

The stainless steel (Columbus Metax) frame was about the same weight as a Merlin Ti frame (3.5 lbs.) at $1000 less. Stainless is very difficult to weld, so few frame builders use it. Desperado Cycles in Wisconsin will custom build a frame with it, but be prepared to pay for it.

I like the Marin frame and steel is tough and flexy and seems to have a more forgiving ride and it's not as stiff as aluminum. It's got what they West Coast frame geometry, I think the head tube is at a less vertical angle than an East Coast frame where trails are narrow, rocky and root filled and there's more tricky maneuvering involved. It's also great in NYC traffic! I'm not exactly sure, but this I've gathered from things I've read over the years.

I'm looking into Ti hardtail frames now. (Litespeed Pisgah? VooDoo D-Jab?) I'd love to lose 1 - 1 1/2 lbs from my bike and may switch to a lighter racing fork, too. The Orange frames look nice, btw, thanks for the tip. Are they sold in the US?

As far as brakes go, I've never tried disks and still use XTR V-Brakes, which have always served me well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

titanium hardtail frames

I did look at titanium hardtail frames....one that caught my eye is another british brand "enigma" that seems to have good reviews.

http://www.enigmabikes.com/ego.html

titanium version
    http://www.bikemagic.com/gear-news/r...-ego/8622.html

steel version
    http://www.bikemagic.com/gear-news/r...o-st/8100.html

not sure about if they despatch to the US but the price does seem amazing for a titanium frame (1130 = $1800 approx)

to be honest though i am still weighing up all the options of whether or not to go for a full suspension frame because of the comfort issues.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ti Frame

Quote Originally Posted by markybay
    I did look at titanium hardtail frames....one that caught my eye is another british brand "enigma" that seems to have good reviews.

to be honest though i am still weighing up all the options of whether or not to go for a full suspension frame because of the comfort issues.
    The Enigma looks VERY nice! The reviews are certainly positive.
    I just love the look of an unpainted metal frame.

As far as the hardtail vs. full-suspension goes, I ride with a Cane Creek Thudbuster/LT suspension seatpost.
    I prefer the simplicity, weight and speed of a hardtail, but the Thudbuster post really smooths out the ride and keeps my old bones from creaking too much. ;-)
    I rode with a Moxey suspension post for a bout 12 years before switching.
    I'm sure there are some purists who would scoff, but it's really a great thing.

http://www.canecreek.com/component-s...ct=long-travel

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Not a Pine Mountain, but this be might helpful:
    What Model Eldridge Grade?
    http://vlm414.multiply.com/photos/al...eldridge_grade

Best mountain bike I've ever had!

Vic