mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Marin nail trail and eldridge grade

Ive test 10 bikes now and my preference is for Marin. Really impressed with the ride.

Now I can get the 09 Nail Trail or get an 08 Elridge Grade. I am not an expert of components but would the 08 Elridge be a better buy.

Would there be much difference in the ride between the two?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Depends on the price difference between the Nail Trail and Elridge. In theory the 2009 Nail Trail should ride better because of the Fox fork. The Marzocchi MX Super Comp is a low end fork and will be heavier than the Fox. If possible test ride both bikes.

The other components (front, rear derailleurs) are also slightly better than the Elridge Grade. The fork is usually the most expensive part on a bike and costly to upgrade. Thus when comparing components on a bike priority should be given to the fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for you reply.
    They are both about the same price of 800. In the Uk the Nail Trail has a Marzocchi 33 Fork and the Elridge has the Fox 32 fork. I guess I should try and ride an Elridge in my size. I have tested the Nail Trail which was great.
    I sure dont mind an 08 model if the compenents are better for the same price.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Sorry I had based my initial post on the Marin's US specifications which has the Nail Trail as their top of the line Hydro Light HT.

After reviewing the UK specs they both have very similar components specifications. For me it would come down to the forks on the two bikes. Try out both bikes and see which fork you like better.

2009 Nail Trail
    http://www.marin.co.uk/2009/bikedeta...ModNo=3948-1F#

2008 Elridge Grade
    http://www.marin.co.uk/2008/bikedetail.php?ModNo=3847