milwaukee
    May 2010

Marin Muirwoods 29er question...time is crucial!

Hello, I recently found a cheap Marin Muirwoods 29er for sale used, and i was wondering about the wheel size. I've read several posts of people asking similar questions, but nobody fully answered what i am wondering. It says its a 29x1.6 tire on Alex TD-20 rims stock. I was wondering:

-What is the widest tire i could put on these rims and still have clearance in front and back with the stock fork?

I would probably keep the "urban" tires on, as they seem like they would work well for downtown milwaukee riding, but i eventually would like to make it more of an offroad 29er when i move out of the city in a about a year. Is this bike adequate for my long term plans. Specifically, i chose this bike for one reason, budget, as it is the cheapest 29er bicycle i could find out of both new and used searching locally, craigslist and ebay. I have a 26er trek mtb, an old lotus road, a current work in progress klein road, and really just want to try out the 29er, but have an extremely small budget to work with because i want to finish buying components for my quantum race by the time spring rolls around. Time is of the essence, as the seller seems to be urgently in need of money, which is why the price is low. It doesnt have to be the beefiest offroad 2.2 + inch tires to make me happy, as i love my trek 8500sl mtb and could enjoy a light 29er/super heavy cyclo cross type bike in my collection, just dont think id feel comfortable with 1.6 tires on mild to heavy offroad conditions.
    thanks for the help
    bike addict
    Max

Live Free Or Die!
    I purchased a 2010 Marin Muirwoods 29er earlier this year. It has become my main urban commuter.

I think the widest tires it would take is about 2-inch in the back. Maybe a 2.5 in the front as there is much more clearance there.

The stock tires work great for commuting as they are very durable, but I want something wider to cushion the ride more.

milwaukee
    May 2010

cool

awesome, thanks alot, going to buy/try my first marin than, assuming the guy didnt sell it already.