mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Marin Mount Vision shock mount - what size?

I'm trying to fit DT Swiss M210 shock to 2008 Marin Mount Vision frame. I need to buy shock mounts bushes, but have difficulty finding information on correct size. I was trying to measure them, and got 21.6mm for upper and 42mm for lower end. However i'm not sure about it, and DT bushes may be found only in 21.8 or 22.2, and for lower end in 39.9. Are those sizes standard? Maybe my measurements are incorrect? Is there any spec to be found on-line to give me definite answer on what is proper size for shock mount bushes for this frame?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    some in the pics maybe mv pics has a dt swiss rear shock on a mv. maybe he could help you out. good luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I send this question to Marin technical help. Hope they will answer...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    ...and they answered. For future reference, this is:
    Front Reducer 22mm
    Rear Reducer 42mm

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    rekrutacja, this post was a while ago but I hope very much you can help me.

I have just purchased a DT Swiss XR Carbon and need to know the Mounting Hardware for my 2009 Mount Vision. What sizes did you use in the end? You've specified 42mm but as far as I can work out DT Swiss only do a 42mm in 6mm axle width.

Do please help if you can, I've been scouring the internet for days but to no avail!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by potey77 View Post
    rekrutacja, this post was a while ago but I hope very much you can help me.

I have just purchased a DT Swiss XR Carbon and need to know the Mounting Hardware for my 2009 Mount Vision. What sizes did you use in the end? You've specified 42mm but as far as I can work out DT Swiss only do a 42mm in 6mm axle width.

Do please help if you can, I've been scouring the internet for days but to no avail!
    I used 39,9 width and then added two aluminum 1mm spacers, which were in fact wider than claimed 1mm and I carefully sanded them to required width. It took me a lot of time, this was trial and error work. On some stage i even bought a micrometer to have proper measurements, but must say that this was overkill, you just need good sanding paper and a lot of time. Make sure mounting hardware and spacers fit exactly, do not allow for any play in this place. If you sand spacers too much, just throw them away and start over.

I also sanded 22,2 mm mounting kit to fit 22mm frame, and this was done VERY carefully, with very fine sanding paper.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for getting back to me.

Hmm this is turning into a much trickier install than I would've liked.

I'm wondering if DT have simplified their mounting hardware though, as if you look at the Madison Website they list only a few sizes, one of which being "32 - 50 mm". I suppose the end caps screw in further to the shaft to increase/decrease the width. Do please have a look and see what you think:

madison.co.uk/products.aspx?vertical=Cycling&tier1=Components+%26+Hardware&tier2=Suspension+-+Rear+Shock+Mounts]Madison.co.uk : Suspension - Rear Shock Mounts

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    This part must be cut and sanded into correct lenght. I was thinking about it, but could obtain 39,9 locally, and decided to go with spacers. Yes, it is pain in the ass. I do not know why DT doesn't make it easier for us. My afterthought was that it would be better and cheaper to go for Fox shock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    So the 32mm - 50mm has to be cut to the right size? Crazy!

I bought the XR Carbon purely for the full-lockout it has, the weight saving is just a bonus. There's a Fox RP23 in there already, I'm seriously contemplating returning the DT shock and giving up whilst I'm still ahead!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by potey77 View Post
    So the 32mm - 50mm has to be cut to the right size? Crazy!

I bought the XR Carbon purely for the full-lockout it has, the weight saving is just a bonus. There's a Fox RP23 in there already, I'm seriously contemplating returning the DT shock and giving up whilst I'm still ahead!
    UPDATE !!

I decided to send the XR Carbon shock and the 3 mount kits back to the supplier.

I actually got as far as contacting a local engineer to machine off the 8mm each side from the 50mm mount, but saw the light before I went through with it. The shock retails at 600, the mount kits are around 20 each and then I have to spend more to get it to fit.

I've come to the conclusion that DT Swiss produce overpriced, poorly thought out components and they trade purely on the "swiss made" moniker, and have pretty appaling customer service to boot.

Won't be spending anymore of my hard-earned with them. Over and out.