mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Marin components weight?

Just curious if anyone has swapped out the parts on their bike? Wondering if there is a significant weight savings in swapping out the marin brand, stem, seat post, bars etc?
    Last edited by XCScott; 02-02-2014 at 06:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Swapping out all those may result in maybe 1/2 pound weight reduction at most, depending what you replace them with. It can work out to be quite an expensive way to lose weight. Wheels and tires are usually a much better option for weight saving, as they are often lower spec rims, spokes etc, while the tires can be heavier wire beaded versions as well.
    Going to a 1x 10 system can save a bit as well, as you lose 2 to 3 chainrings, derailleur, shifter, cables etc.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks kiwi! Wheels are definitely on my list to do, I'm a Clyde so I have to be careful with the wheel selection. The Alex rims that came on the bike seem to be holding up good but they are on the heavy side. The tires are Kevlar bead conti x-kings. I have the Stan's kit in the garage ready to go, just waiting for some parts to build a prestaflator to make the swap, that should save me some weight. Going 1x10 is certainly an option too, where I ride it's mostly flat anyway. I figured there wasn't much weight saving in the marin seat post stem and bars, but thought I'd ask my sons spec components on his hot rock are like anchors. Of course it's a sub $500 dollar bike too.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have. Depends on the model. Mine was on the lower specd end but has been slowly upgrading it. If you're on the higher specd model, they usually have lighter components. The biggest upgrade that had the most weight savings for me is the wheelset.

mtbr member
    I can tell you that they are not light. I just put some Syncros 740mm carbon bars on my Mount Vision and they are significantly lighter than the aluminum bars they replaced.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    453.5 grams = 1 pound(I say 450 cause its just easier)

I can tell you both from experience, AND actually weighing a lot of parts on a DS-2 scale. It takes a LOT of swapping out and upgrading to = 450 grams...

Cheap aluminum stem, bars, and seatpost might weigh 850 grams total. To upgrade to top of the line lightweight carbon stuff weighs about 450 grams. So you've saved almost 1 lb. and it cost you $500+... Buy a nice set of wheels instead and save 300-400 grams. It's also rotating mass not "bolt on" weight. You'll be glad you did.

Or if you got $$ burning a hole in your pocket, do both and save almost 2 lbs. But if that was the case, then you probably should have bought the higher end model from day 1. haha
    Bike Doctor

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I have a '13 Palisades trail. I took the bars and stem off last week and weighed them. To my suprise they came in at 353g, and 122g respectively. Not super light, but you'de have to drop quite a bit of money to come close to loosing significant weight. Love the bike by the way!

mtbr member
    Marin components weight?-20140319_195959_resized.jpg
    Marin components weight?-20140127_185505_resized.jpg
    I put my new wider carbon bars on that weigh 198g. I dont have a scale, but the alum bars were close to double the weight. prob in the 350+ range

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Nice! I'm looking at adding a set of Race Face carbon bars in the near future. I think you're about dead on with your weight estimate.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Moefosho, too bad you don't have a scale... I would be very interested to know what it weighs exactly. If it really is 350+ than I will be replacing it also soon :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betzel View Post
    Moefosho, too bad you don't have a scale... I would be very interested to know what it weighs exactly. If it really is 350+ than I will be replacing it also soon :-)
    I think its pretty safe to say that they are 350+ maybe more. I got carbon bars for the vibration damping, and I wanted something wider. the 150g is just a bonus.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    You indeed can tell the different ride between carbon and aluminium. I have a carbon bar in my other MV. Thinking of switching that bar to the XM7 and get 35mm bar and stem combo on my own bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Does someone of you know what brand the Marin hubs are? The sealed cartridge types which are found on the 2013 MV XM7 and many other Marins?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Changed my bar today, new Easton EC70 riser 161gr. The Marin riser weighs 336gr. So big savings there! Another 10gr. on carbon spacers :-)

The stock Marin stem (60mm) is 119gr. That's a keeper!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Just put ec70 carbon on my bike, knocked off about 200g, wider bar too! Rides nice.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk