mtbr member

Marin Attack Trail C-XT Pro Build

So I came across this frame...

Beefy downtube protection!

Full carbon rear triangle and 12x142 thru-axle for superb stiffness.

First thing I did was add a RS Pike 160 fork and some wheels I got a smoking deal on from a local bike shop. They are DT 350 hubs with WTB Frequency i23 tubeless rims. I needed a stem to keep the fork on so bought a Spank Spike Race 50mm stem while in the shop too.

I added a Thomson carbon riser bar (that would later be replaced), a random seatpost from my garage to hold it in the bike stand, and a Lezyne side access bottle cage. My dog Rocky decided he wanted to help.

I scored a wicked deal on a complete 1x11 SRAM XO1 drivetrain with Shimano XT brakes, so it was time to get to bolting on some parts.
    SRAM XO1 11 speed RD and cassette

SRAM X01 crankset and PC XX1 hollow pin chain

Shimano XT brakes and ODI Gwin Signature grips. Rocky is still very much involved in the build process, if a bit bored at this stage.

What goes fast must also stop fast...203mm front Ice Tech rotor.

180mm rear rotor. I love Marin's rear brake mount.

Hey it's starting to look like a bike! Still no tires, what gives? Local shops didn't have tires I wanted in stock, so had to order online. Will never build a bike up without putting tires on first again. Pain in the ass because you can't just roll it around and have to be careful about where you set it down.

Ah, now we got some tires!

Maxxis Minion DHF 27.5 TLR EXO front

Maxxis Minion DHR II 27.5 TLR EXO rear

Despite clutch RD and narrow wide chainring, I also added an MRP AMG guide with a taco bash for those gnarly downhills. Bolted on nicely to Marin's ISCG05 plate. I also added Race Face crank protectors for the carbon cranks. They still fit perfect on SRAM's cranks. They're on backwards in this photo because it was late and I wasn't paying attention. I fixed it when I put my pedals on.

Threw on a WTB Laser V SLT saddle I had in the garage. Ah, almost built up and ready to ride! Need dropper post and some pedals!

I added a Specialized Command Post IR, pilfered my Straitline AMPs from my Pivot Mach 5.7, and went riding!

First thing I realized was the cockpit was shorter than what I was used to and my bars felt narrower than they were. Time to go wide! Replaced with Race Face SixC 785mm bar and bike has felt dialed ever since.

And of course this bike really needs its own pedals, and with the really low BB I decided to get the thinnest platforms I could find, the Canfield Brothers Crampon Ultimates.

Overall build is 29.4 lbs for a size large.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

I ride bikes
    Nice build. Those are one of my favorite bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    great build! love the new attack trail! ive got the xt7
    my little Blog - rides and mtb parts
    http://mtb-il.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I have a 2014 Attack Trail C-XT9 -- LOVE IT.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    dont know if you still have the bike but can you remember which accessories came with your frame??? seem to be a bit short on my frame delivery.