Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Marin 2012

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Marin 2012

29er and new suspension which looks very much like the Giant maestro.

http://bikemagic.com/gear/marin-laun...3-0-bikes.html

http://www.bicyclesmile.com/news/mar...e-2012-launch/

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Doesn't look as Marin anymore
    2012, year of "sameness"
    Kona and Norco 2012 look the same, Marin and Giant 2012 look the same (even in some color options). Paint the frame black, and no one will recognize it. What a shame

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I think the look of quad link is a problem for them. A ride similar to maestro isn't a bad thing for some. My Trance X is not as progressive but the suspension lacks character.

Oh well,I will be keeping an eye out for some cheap MV XM8 frames coming on to the market.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Wow, gotta say I'm dissapointed that they changed the look. That's what drew me in and I stayed for the awesomeness of the ride. Had they looked that way when I was picking out my XM8 I would have completely overlooked them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I like it.....i to am not necessarily impressed with the looks but it not bad.

realistically they have fixed some real problems.water bottle cage in a real location,stiffer rear triangle that wont flex near as much and better suspension at end of stroke.

these changes will actually KEEP me buying Marin bikes.i look forward to riding and getting one.
    2009 Marin Mount Vision 5.7....a great everything bike...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    I think the look of quad link is a problem for them
    Yes, there are people who dislike Marins because of its look with a swingarm.
    I guess it's not only the look problem. Swingarm frames, as I understand, are harder to manufacture, so they cost more.To keep rear end stiff enough, they have to be heavier compared to other sussers with common rear triangle.

But ... is mountainbike just it? Why do designers bother to make new frame color schemes every year? Many people choose the bike not for it effectiveness, but for its' look.
    Quad 2 Marins were original, unique in some way. They were recognizeable. And now ... close to Giant even in colors

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Cost of the mfg for quad link could be a factor.

A Fs 29er may also have forced their hand? Current design is too active to be any advantage on a 29er and may not be rigid enough for the big wheel. My Giant AX1 29er works well with a less active and less progressive set up . It lets the bigger wheels share the suspension duties while keeping a taught efficient suspension.

I think the 2011 quad link Rift zone frame was about 5.5lbs which is realistic. Might be able to shave 1/2 lb with the Quad 3? I have no problem with the stiffness of the current system but my frames are a bit on the hefty side. AT and XM both have digressive leverage rate at the end of the stroke.So they didn't need to change design to make the XM8 less progressive. Personally I think the XM looks great so I can't understand the change. It has identcal geo to latest 5 spot. Just marginally more active and more progressive than the DW on the 5- spot but with better mid range and anti squat. It was 650B capable to. Hence, I will be snapping one up when the price falls.

Closeups of the 29er shows tire clearance is incredibly tight. And that's a x-king 2.2 which is a small volume tire. Quad link 2 allowed a short chainstay. Giant maestro bikes all have relatively long chainstays. My Trance X is a hand full in the loose as the long chainstays drives the front wheel in to corners. My current WR and MV geo numbers are spot on and much prefer the handling over My trance X. Uk fans may also cry foul as they loved the mud clearance of the old frames.
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 07-28-2011 at 06:25 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I think the 2011 quad link Rift zone frame was about 5.5lbs which is realistic
    Considering '11 Rift Zone, sometimes I think they shaved too much from the swingarm. Compared to MV, Rift Zone's rear end feels noticeably flexier. But I guess it's reasonable - about 600 g weight difference comes at a certain price. Still Giant's Anthem X is lighter, maybe 5.5 lbs was that realistic limit for a lightweight Quad II frame and that held the engineers from creating a lighter one
    But yeah, 2011 was a real perfection for Quad II bikes. Gonna miss them

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Looks like the modular drop outs are gone. I have never noticed any flex in the rear end of my Mt Vision. Escpecially with the 12mm TA conversion. If they kept the general charateristics of the quad link, but actually get to use the last bit of travel and easier acess to the shock I would be stoked. Although, I am NOT going move on from my current bike for some time now. I gotta say I love the way it rides.

mtbr member
    Yeah, they look remarkably like Giants now, which isn't a bad thing based on the great reviews I read of Giants. Sounds like the suspension characteristics were changed a bit as well. Oh well. I do enjoy people looking at the AT and saying, "damn, that's a stout bike." There's nothing out there that looks like my AT, not even close.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Yeh I should call my "stout bike" [Wolf ridge] the Mojo leveller. They seem to want to target my 90's downhill looking bike as race practise. Unfortunately for them I'm as good a climber as they are and this thing literally mows them down on sweeping singletrack and down hills. I actually ran over one guys leg the other day that crashed in front of me.

mtbr member
    Well, here's to hoping for another good Marin warranty return!!!! Maybe the next warranty return will be a 2012 model.

mtbr member
    I also loved the unique looks of the Marin. If this new design keeps the ride quality while reducing weight and price I will be thrilled. A bit bummed that seat-tube angles are a degree shallower but otherwise I'm excited to have a new Mount Vision and Rift Zone 29er next year. I might have to keep the 2011 Mount Vision XM9 I currently have though because I consider it the most beautiful riding and looking bike I have owned to date.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    They've done it cause it converts into a 29er easier I've just gotten a second hand Whyte E5 basically a Marin with lighter stuff and it rides great, super plush and super stable spinning up hills, easy to work on pivots aswell.

I never liked the look of the shock cage and never wanted a marin cause of it, despite them being cheap and slack angles but the E5's look has grown on me.

I'll keep my eyes open in a year or 2 for a cheap 2011 Marin Quad2 I think.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Your right it is Meastro, the next best suspension system I've ridden, Quad 2 and Quad 3 are both VPP's so it might be okay, the huge mud clearance is ofcourse gone and the no chain stays to rattle the chain on

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ROG30Y View Post
    I like it.....i to am not necessarily impressed with the looks but it not bad.

realistically they have fixed some real problems.water bottle cage in a real location,stiffer rear triangle that wont flex near as much and better suspension at end of stroke.

these changes will actually KEEP me buying Marin bikes.i look forward to riding and getting one.
    Although i agree in that everything looks the same (not good) These above points are very true. If you draw a line from the rear axle (on the older bikes) to a point in between the two main pivots and compare to the new design you will find that it is way wider in the new design and therefore will produce far less flex.

I have an attack trail and love it but yeah the shop i work in no longer deals with marin because most people dont seem to feel the way i do. Marin strength for me is the geometry....

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Yeah I've only ridden 2 Marins, Quad 1 and Quad 2 both had terrible rear wheel steering effect, so this is the same through out I didn't buy either of them, thankfully the Whyte E5 with the carbon swing arm and weird bolt through kinda madness is really stiff.

I was hoping they'd sorted the Marins out to, but guess not

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Turveyd View Post
    Your right it is Meastro, the next best suspension system I've ridden, Quad 2 and Quad 3 are both VPP's so it might be okay, the huge mud clearance is ofcourse gone and the no chain stays to rattle the chain on
    Yep my Maestro bikes have the worst chain slap going. The low slung front pivot area gets shot gunned by the chain.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gson View Post
    Although i agree in that everything looks the same (not good) These above points are very true. If you draw a line from the rear axle (on the older bikes) to a point in between the two main pivots and compare to the new design you will find that it is way wider in the new design and therefore will produce far less flex.

I have an attack trail and love it but yeah the shop i work in no longer deals with marin because most people dont seem to feel the way i do. Marin strength for me is the geometry....
    I agree Marin geometry is always spot on. Tighter rear end should be stiffer. Not always the case e.g, Intense Tracer. I feel my Trance X and Anthem X 29er are no stiffer than my MV or WR. If anything, my 09 Trance X has flex in the front end and my Anthem X1 29er has more rear end flex. The front end flex of the Trance X is the most noticeable to handling.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Turveyd View Post
    Yeah I've only ridden 2 Marins, Quad 1 and Quad 2 both had terrible rear wheel steering effect, so this is the same through out I didn't buy either of them, thankfully the Whyte E5 with the carbon swing arm and weird bolt through kinda madness is really stiff.

I was hoping they'd sorted the Marins out to, but guess not
    You must have very rocky, boggy or sandy terrain. I'm only 160 lbs but do ride some sandy trails and can't notice much rear end flex on my 09 MV and WR.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    One of the things most striking when seeing my maestro bikes alongside my Quad 2 bikes is that Giant have minimalist build approach down to pat. They are very under built looking in comparison.They seem to hold up though and I've only broken 1 pivot bolt on my Trance X. But it looks frail compare to my MV.
    My MV's anodised finish looks like new after 2 years and overall it has a much more expensive quality look about it.

The new quad 3 frames look "tinny" even compared to Maestro frames.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    You must have very rocky, boggy or sandy terrain. I'm only 160 lbs but do ride some sandy trails and can't notice much rear end flex on my 09 MV and WR.
    I'm just much much heavier, which does not help, 235ish.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Turveyd....i run into the rear flex issues with my 09 bike.enough that it rubs the rotor on hard turns.with propedal on its much stiffer but loose the plushness of the rear.

i cant wait to ride one of the new ones.if i like it im changing over.

oh btw i only weigh 175
    2009 Marin Mount Vision 5.7....a great everything bike...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    You mean the drop out or the axle may be flexing. Brake and wheel is isolated from the frame. Maxle drop outs will fix any QR axle and QR drop out flex.
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 09-01-2011 at 02:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ROG30Y View Post
    Turveyd....i run into the rear flex issues with my 09 bike.enough that it rubs the rotor on hard turns.with propedal on its much stiffer but loose the plushness of the rear.

i cant wait to ride one of the new ones.if i like it im changing over.

oh btw i only weigh 175
    Ahhhh thats the reason for the big gripper on my Whyte, if there is any rear flex the gripper keeps the disk / wheel from moving seperately, not the ease of locating as they say which lets face it is no different.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast