KVW
    Law abiding citizen

Linkage reliability question

Hi all,

New Marin MV owner here - Just have a general question regarding the reliability of the 2010 MV 5.8 linkage and bearing reliability. I just recently purchased this frame for a damn good value (thanks for the heads up, Reek) - it's an OEM take-off which is suppose to retain the warranty... but as I was waiting for it to come in, my continued research on the frame has me a bit spooked with some of the threads/blogs I've encountered.

Are a lot of you having constant reliability issues with the linkage bolts and bearings? I've read threads where they've constantly come loose and in one case, the bearings are prematurely shot and Marin "lifetime bearing warranty" is all talk and they will fight you every step of the way. I think it was even on bike radar where they did a line-up of similar bikes and the Marin was the only one to develop loose bolts during their testing and needed re-torquing.

Now I know the saying, forums can sometimes give a skewed view on reality since people tend to only post their problems, if they're posting at all, but I just wanted to get a reality check from you guys. So what say you? Valid concern or skewed view and it's an extremely rare issue?
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Since you've asked, I checked my linkage. Nothing is loose and everything seems to be at their correct torque.

I have an attack trail though and not a mount vision but they have the same linkage. I'm not sure if my post would affect anything about what you think at all but I think that it's a rare issue.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KVW View Post
    Hi all,

New Marin MV owner here - Just have a general question regarding the reliability of the 2010 MV 5.8 linkage and bearing reliability. I just recently purchased this frame for a damn good value (thanks for the heads up, Reek) - it's an OEM take-off which is suppose to retain the warranty... but as I was waiting for it to come in, my continued research on the frame has me a bit spooked with some of the threads/blogs I've encountered.

Are a lot of you having constant reliability issues with the linkage bolts and bearings? I've read threads where they've constantly come loose and in one case, the bearings are prematurely shot and Marin "lifetime bearing warranty" is all talk and they will fight you every step of the way. I think it was even on bike radar where they did a line-up of similar bikes and the Marin was the only one to develop loose bolts during their testing and needed re-torquing.

Now I know the saying, forums can sometimes give a skewed view on reality since people tend to only post their problems, if they're posting at all, but I just wanted to get a reality check from you guys. So what say you? Valid concern or skewed view and it's an extremely rare issue?
    Not sure how much I'm adding to the discussion as my experience is one you are likely referring to (mine were the bearings that were shot when I checked them after 3 rides).

Regarding the warranty: In my experience, if you are not near a Marin dealer, forget it. They gave me a lot of grief for buying on-line. I won't go into my full experience here, it's posted on this board.

However, the 8 bearings were only about $60 from Real World Cycling, and I had my lbs press all of them in for $20. So I was only out $80.

As far as the bolts coming loose, I did have some issues with needing to re-tighten one bolt a few times, I think this was due to the bearing being seized. Once I replaced the bearings, it has not been an issue. I would not let the loosening issue steer you away, it is an easy fix with a torque wrench and some lock-tight.

Despite my warranty issue, I think these are frames worth considering for the price I have been seeing them go for (under $600 in some cases). In the end, I've put mine up for sale, but more because I am not thrilled with the suspension design and overall ride, and that is just personal preference, others seem to really like it.

So, I would not start second guessing your purchase at this point. Check the bearings and bolts now if it gives you peace of mind.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Thanks guys - I appreciate both of your input on the issue.

Kapusta, yes, your experience is definitely one of the threads I came across. That sucks you had so much trouble with it right off the bat - I can see that leaving quite a sour taste in your mouth. I did get the frame for less than $600 and it was from an online retailer but is represented by a physical shop in Idaho who's suppose to be a licensed Marin dealer which is why the warranty supposedly remains intact. Also, Marin is extremely close to me since I'm in San Jose, CA, however that wont seem to matter since they will require me to go though a shop if a problem arises. I can't just show up and knock on their door now, can I?

I'm not going to abandon the project and sell everything because of the thing's I've read, I just wanted to get an idea if the linkage is a serious pain point and I'm going to have to check monthly. I'm usually the one where if statistically, for example, there's a 1 in 100 chance there will be an issue, I'll be that one out of the 100. However, for the first time in my life, I really have no grounds to argue about odds since the reason why I even purchased this frame is because I just got back from Tahoe and won $900 bucks at a slot machine.

It's sad to see such an established name in the business such as Marin not stand behind their products. That's funny to me, I've had issues with my Motobecane which is considered a bastard child on this forum but my warranty experience with them has been great! They actually jumped on the issue for a speedy resolve when I called on them regarding my failure, no grief, questions asked. And it wasn't even a failure on their part, it was on Rockshox! So much for big brand loyalty. Oh how times have changed...

Anyway, if anyone else has any Quad-link linkage issues (doesn't have to be this exact year/model), good or bad, I'd like to hear it. I'm going to begin building my MV this week since the needed parts are now trickling in. Man I love building up a new ride. Sometimes I wonder if I make excuses for change just so I can enjoy this particular part.
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Just make sure they are torqued correctly. Any new bike can have bolts loosen up on it after a few rides. I periodically check all my bolts anyways. Stem, handlebar, brakes, etc. If the linkages are working loose you are most likely going to hear some creaking. Don't worry about or over think it. Just build it up and ride the hell out of it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Freeing up your shock DU bushings is always a good thing to do. I normally put RWC bearing kits on all my frames but since the MV was already so active I didn't do it for a year. By that time the shock hardware had worn oval , the pivot bolt and frame were showing some wear.Pre 2012 Fox shock hardware is rubbish and DU bushings aren't reamed after they are pressed in. If the hardware can't rotate in the Du bushing then it rotates with the shock, wearing the pivot bolt and your frame. No amount of torque can fix that.
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 02-14-2012 at 11:59 PM.

mtbr "member"
    Nice to see another marin rider out there, considering I just learned now that marin has sold out to a big corporation...

As for bearing reliability, I've been riding marin full suspensions since they were just simple single pivots. And I have had a first generation quad link for years. then moved to an XLT and beat that to hell. Now I have a attack trail and mount vision, without any bearing or pivot issues EVER. Of course, I always check my bolts on my new frames after a few rides. As stated by others, any bike and any pivot can come loose after the first few break in rides.

Having said that, I've had 3 Specialized FSRs with one, a 99 enduro, horst link bearings crap out within the first 300 miles. Which was not covered by the warrantee despite taking it back to the LBS where I bought it. So I thinks its just a matter of bad luck and knowing nothing is 100%. Marins generally have a good track record and I don't think its a trend or a real issue to worry about. Just ride it like you stole it and enjoy!

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    thanks everyone for the advice and input. I'll keep an eye on it for the first couple hundred miles. I imagine it the frame will let me know if one of those bolts start coming loose with some sort of audible creaking. Of course that would mean I'd need to take my ear phones of once in a while which is pretty rare, lol.