mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Lateral stiffness '10 MV...meh

I had read that these are fairly stiff.
    Well, I was stopped on an incline, seated and in 1st/3rd rings. I locked-up the front brake and put a load on the crank and WOW, there was plenty of movement.

Inherent in a high pivot design I gather.
    Still a sweet ride though.

I had concerns about the chain line causing issues/noise at the cluster, but chain lube and cable adjustment resolved that.
    Last edited by socalscott; 03-16-2011 at 08:11 PM.

mtbr member
    I don't know if you've upgraded to the Maxle, but it's well worth it. A buddy of mine has a couple of Turners, high dollar bikes mind you, and I was amazed at how loose his back wheels were on both bikes. After the Maxle upgrade, my rear wheel is solid as a rock and stiff as a board. After I installed mine, I noticed the difference immediately.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Does the Maxle kit work with the XT hub?

mtbr member
    Don't know....whatever hub you have will need a 12mm conversion. I have a hadley on the rear, and it's 12mm convertible. It's worth it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Maybe it's the terrain I ride[ loose but not rocky], but I've used both maxle and QR dropouts on my WR and don't notice any difference with either. I don't notice any flex in either the WR or MV, or for that matter, any of my current bikes[ did on some earlier single pivot designs]. I can notice the difference between a QR and 15mm fork but only when conditions round here get deep sandy in places which puts more twisting lateral loads on the wheel when pushing hard in the corners. The rear end follows along nicely. I do ride with big volume tires just above squirm pressure, so I feel the tire movement first and any frame movement may be xferred to the tires.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The WR swing arm is a bit more stout yes? Oops, chain and seat stays.
    '
    I'm not conscious of the flex, other than actually seeing it as I described. Perhaps the Maxle conversion aids a dead feel I am conscious of whilst climbing at times.

I'm eager to purchase/build a rear 650b wheel. This Maxle kit has been pondered.
    What are the axle conversion and drop-outs costs?