mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Installed RWC needle bearings on my Mount Vision

Recently replaced the DU bushings on my 2008 Mount Vision's RP23 with needle bearings.

I ordered their needle bearing and DU bushing tools to save some hassle of finding a socket that is the correct size. In the past I would use sockets to push out the old DU bushing and to install them.

Installation went smoothly except for trying to install the two 0.5mm shims on the lower part of the shock. Measuring the original length of the reduces and shock indicated it was 42.17mm. After installing the RWC needle bearing and hat it was 42.02mm. The best I could do was to squeeze in one 0.5mm spacer but I decided to remove this. There was no play with the shock without any spacers installed.

I would also suggest replacing the air sleeve seals since the shock has been removed from the bike. Fox has a great site with instructions on how to open up the shock

Pushing the bike seat down I can feel there is less resistance with the needle bearings vs. bushings, however I still have to take it off road to see how it performs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Installed RWC needle bearings on my Mount Vision-lower_remove_du.jpg  

Installed RWC needle bearings on my Mount Vision-upper_remove_du2.jpg  

Installed RWC needle bearings on my Mount Vision-upper_install_nb_exp.jpg  

Installed RWC needle bearings on my Mount Vision-finished_exp.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I didn't know they did one for the bottom. I use them in the top and just make sure the bottom hardware is free to rotate in the du bush. Relative to the top it hardly rotates at all.I think the bottom dimension is 42 and the top 22mm as compared to the normal 42.2 and 22.2. I tried a 22.2 rockshox bush in the top and it wouldn't go. The shims may be to allow for the wear on the frame if the oem hardware was not free to rotate in the du bush.Quite often the case beacuse the du bushings aren't concentric after being pressed in to the shock. They need a bit of scotchbrite or light sandpaper to free them up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    You are right, RWC originally offered only the top hardware. They recently began to offer needle bearings for the lower part.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Certainly looks nice, especially in the blue. I might add it to the to do list.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Does it make a difference in actual riding?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    After riding with the RWC needle bearings for a year, I did not feel any noticible difference compared to the plain old DU bushings. I'd say that shock setup has a much greater effect (e.g. sag, rebound, ...).

Did not have a chance to remove the bearings to determine if there is any wear yet. But plan to do so the next time the seals on the rear shock are changed.