mtbr member
    May 2009

Help Removing the Rear Shock

My girlfiend's 2009 Quad XC's shock has blown up. I need to take it off to replace / rebuild. The bad news is there are no Marin dealers where I live - I bought the bike in Florida and have since moved.

The question is if I remove the shock by taking out the bolts in the swingarm will I be able to reassemble it without any special tools etc?

I have the 2009 manual but it is greek to me It talks about pressing in the in the bearings with a special tool and all this special lube / grease etc.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    No special tools required besides some metric spanners. I support the bike, with the wheels on the ground, from the rafters in the garage with some rope. this way the linkage doesn't collapse on you. Can be fiddly otherwise. There some end caps covering the pivot bolts then just the pivot bolts. Is more fiddling than other suspension designs but still easy enough.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks - I am going to give it a shot. I have it in a bike stand now, I might try supporting with some ropes. I am hoping I can just slide out the bolts and then slide them back in place after the shock is out.

Undercaffienated
    Fairly straightforward job but refitting can give you a bit of a hard time without a second pair of hands or maybe taking gvs_nz's advice about the ropes due to the design of this frame. Took it all apart recently for a shock rebuild and took me about 40 minutes to tear down, rebuild the shock and put back together. Good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Any particular type of grease / lubricant you used on the shock / washers? I should be getting my GF's shock back on Wednesday...

Undercaffienated
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial
    Any particular type of grease / lubricant you used on the shock / washers? I should be getting my GF's shock back on Wednesday...
    Just the Fox Float fluid that comes with the seal kit. Like this one here http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...leeve+Kit.aspx