mtbr member
    May 2005

Custom 1/2" longer dropouts for 650B wheels

Need to gauge some (serious) interest here for a possible production run of dropouts that would move the wheel back approx. 1/2" and allow better fitment of 650B wheels. No contact with seat post at bottom out, no FD interference, adds some wheel base which aids climbing and keeping the front end down (most Quad Link bikes have somewhat short WB IMO) and a little more stability. Would allow the use of the biggest 650B tires available.

Would fit 2008-2011 Quad Link 2 bikes (Rift Zone, Mount Vision, Wolfe Ridge, Attack Trail)

135x12 or better 142x12 possibilities (no wimpy std. QR)

Possible std. replaceable hanger so the entire dropout doesn't need to be replaced?

Thoughts people...and what are you willing to pay for such an item like this?
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'd take at least one set. I'd expect to pay at least $100 a set though. 135 x 12 would be my pref. not too fussed though as I have convertible hubs on all my wheels. I'd expect earlier Mv's would want a droput that lowered and slackened as compared to AT, WR and XM series.
    Plenty of mfg's online that would have digital file that they could alter to do a custom CNC run. One in UK says they will do bespoke runs.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    I'd take at least one set. I'd expect to pay at least $100 a set though. 135 x 12 would be my pref. not too fussed though as I have convertible hubs on all my wheels. I'd expect earlier Mv's would want a droput that lowered and slackened as compared to AT, WR and XM series.
    Plenty of mfg's online that would have digital file that they could alter to do a custom CNC run. One in UK says they will do bespoke runs.
    75 views so far and only you gvs_nz.

What is bespoke run? You really think there are digital files available for these other than at Marin? That would certainly make it far easier to make this happen.

Where the axle ends up is up for debate. I like a BB of 13.5-14" with 13.75 about ideal for my conditions. That would mean moving the axle slightly up in the new dropouts (which are 650B specific in mind only). Might be a much better market in Europe for these where Marin was more popular than the US.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Their loss. you may get some response on Singletrackworld forum in UK.
    Bespoke is a flash UK term for custom made, usually furniture.
    They just use a digitizer or lazer scanner to copy an original.

This day and age some smartass could even 3d print them for you.Titanium sounds good.
    3D Printing Systems Additive Manufacturing using metals

I suspect some of the CNC bike stuff on Ebay may be made by those with back yard milling machines? May be interested in knocking out a few for a bit of extra cash?

Papa T
    I am interested, but first I need to find out if I am getting a warranty replacement for my AT frame. It has a crack along the top edge of the weld where seat tube and top tube meet.

And then of course I would need to upgrade to 650b wheels, fork , tires.

My thinking, is my next bike will probably be 650b, it may be coming sooner rather than later if my warranty claim falls through. In that case I will be looking somewhere besides Marin as this is the 2nd frame in 2 years to develop cracks.
    Keep your head tube up!
    2012 Marin Mt. Vision XM Pro
    2009 Jamis Dragon ONE

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am potentially interested, but don't have 650b wheels yet.

Undercaffienated
    I'd take one set. Willing to pay $100 or less.

Anyone know if the RS Revelation would have enough clearance for 650b wheel? I haven't really looked into the conversion but now rather interested in in. Just don't want to spend too much beyond dropouts, wheels and tires.

mtbr member
    I would buy some as long as they were well made.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hmorsi View Post

Anyone know if the RS Revelation would have enough clearance for 650b wheel? I haven't really looked into the conversion but now rather interested in in. Just don't want to spend too much beyond dropouts, wheels and tires.
    Revs ae a bit of a lottery. The fork brace height varies with year and axle config. When they do fit it's marginal clearance only for the smaller volume tires.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hmorsi View Post

I think I've read some years will fit while others will not. You would need to do some digging in the 650 forum to figure it out. Some Sectors fit also which I believe use the same lowers as the Rev.

Well, this idea has picked up a bit more steam so that's good. I'll revisit with the company that would possibly produce them sometime in January. I will hit up Singletrackworld to get some more feedback/interest.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Ah, glad to see others interested.

In the past I was focused on an adapter approach. This would be a very basic piece to machine. Sets the axle back a minimum of 15mm. It is a lighter solution possibly. Uses an extra set of the OE bolts.
    Could be most economical when it comes to having a few sets for moving the axle around.

Surely a practical testing approach for final specs.
    '10 Marin MountVision 650b conversion

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    double post
    Last edited by socalscott; 01-13-2013 at 02:32 PM.
    '10 Marin MountVision 650b conversion

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by socalscott View Post
    Ah, glad to see others interested.

In the past I was focused on an adapter approach. This would be a very basic piece to machine. Sets the axle back a minimum of 15mm. It is a lighter solution possibly. Uses an extra set of the OE bolts.
    Could be most economical when it comes to having a few sets for moving the axle around.

Surely a practical testing approach for final specs.
    This would be a nice option for me since I'm still running QR wheels and bought a spare QR hanger.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    interested

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I would be interested too. 142 x 12! It would make me have to get the whole enchalada though. Tires wheels, fork. Last time I check my Rev wouldn't fit 650b. Maybe I could just get some 650b rims laced to my hopes.
    don't sweat the petty things, and pet the sweaty things

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Interested, where would these be made (US or Europe)?

I am in the UK.

142 x 12 with replacable hanger would be ideal.