mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Coil on a 2010 Attack Trail

Does anyone know if a coil shock would fit on an AttackTrail?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hey i also had trouble finding out info about this. I have a 2010 marin attack trail 6.8 and ended up just ordering my piggy back shock and hoping for the best.

I ordered a 2010 roco tst r Air. As you probably know there a fair bit bigger than a dhx air so might be equivalent to a coil over..

As far as how it fits.... it does but the piggy back chamber comes so close to the rear swing arm its not funny but doesnt hit. ITs been in for a couple of months now and im not having any problems with it. Fitting the shock has made such a huge difference to how it rides. The monarch that came on it was rubbish. I now have a shock that matches the killer geometry

Hope this helps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coil on a 2010 Attack Trail-shock-fitment.jpg  

mtbr member
    Yes, this is a very big help! I'm gonna try a dhx on my AT and see what happens.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Just a word of caution... You will be able to get a steel fox or marz coil in, but most ti springs are a hair thicker, and will not fit. I ended up with a tst air on mine.

mtbr member
    So, what was the difference in the ride after you put the bigger shock on. What did you have on before, how did it ride, and now? I'm really considering putting a dhx or the like on it. The rear end feels really harsh, and the rp23 doesn't really allow me to do anything about it.

mtbr member
    damn....I should have read your post again...you had a monarch in before.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    I am also interested in other shock options that others have used on this frame.

Rubbish is not a word I would use to describe the Monarch 4.2 shock that came stock on on my 2010 Attack Trail 6.8. So far it has delivered on everything asked of it, which runs the gamut from AZ Sonoran Desert single track to rock gardens to largely gravity runs down the local mountain trails after having pedalled up them.

Descriptions of specific behaviors would be more useful, as well as terrain, riding style, setup and weight of rider.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I had a 2008 wolf ridge with the rp23 which rode really well but the 2010 attack trail with the monarch shock had way too much compression damping. I think the stock tune was the top 'E' rating and it was very harsh over chundery ground, I have replaced mine with a dhx air and all is now super plush and the bike is transformed.

I have seen an attack trail with a Fox Van R fitted, the one with the smaller spring as the DHX spring is too big I think.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pulpwoody View Post
    So, what was the difference in the ride after you put the bigger shock on. What did you have on before, how did it ride, and now? I'm really considering putting a dhx or the like on it. The rear end feels really harsh, and the rp23 doesn't really allow me to do anything about it.
    Did the Pushed RP23 not work out? Does it ramp up to quickly? Hows it ride now compared to your previous MV?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertCrawler View Post
    I am also interested in other shock options that others have used on this frame.

Rubbish is not a word I would use to describe the Monarch 4.2 shock that came stock on on my 2010 Attack Trail 6.8. So far it has delivered on everything asked of it, which runs the gamut from AZ Sonoran Desert single track to rock gardens to largely gravity runs down the local mountain trails after having pedalled up them.

Descriptions of specific behaviors would be more useful, as well as terrain, riding style, setup and weight of rider.
    Fair call about rubbish not really being descriptive.... but i suppose in comparing it how i want it to feel it was the complete opposite.

The bike has a degree of chain growth which provides a solid pedaling base so i really cant see the point in loosing small bump compliance and plushness with what ever kind of tune came on the standard shock when with a shock with absolutely no pedaling platform dampening (marrzocchi) you can still get a bike that pedals extremely well but will still remain active and open.

I think that perhaps they may have put a shock like the monarch as it makes the quirkyness of the rear end noticeable. (pedal feedback in the smaller rings) I have found that this is far more pronounced with the new shock.

Dont get me wrong i absolutely love this bike in fact its my favorite bike that i have owned but while they say that granny ring climbing gives amazing traction it comes from the suspension wanting to extend in the granny ring like any high single pivot. I find that this takes more effort in the long run as on steep climbs your holding your weight up in the travel as well as moving your mass forward.

Also back to the RS shock i found that in decreasing psi to try to get the back end feeling better it would bottom out far too easily (and still never really feel that plush and nice any way)

I really have found that although the pedal feedback is a little more pronounced with a shock with less stiction etc it really does feel insanely good now with the tst r
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coil on a 2010 Attack Trail-img00195-20110211-1349.jpg  

Coil on a 2010 Attack Trail-img00200-20110215-1001.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    meant to say LESS noticeable

makes the quirkyness of the rear end noticeable.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    What's the diameter of the air chamber on the Roco. The model without piggyback may fit on my wolf Ridge.

Rockshox have dimensional drawings of some of their coil shocks on their website and they would fit my WR so will also fit the AT as it's curved links give more space .

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by Gson View Post
    Fair call about rubbish not really being descriptive.... but i suppose in comparing it how i want it to feel it was the complete opposite.

The bike has a degree of chain growth which provides a solid pedaling base so i really cant see the point in loosing small bump compliance and plushness with what ever kind of tune came on the standard shock when with a shock with absolutely no pedaling platform dampening (marrzocchi) you can still get a bike that pedals extremely well but will still remain active and open.

I think that perhaps they may have put a shock like the monarch as it makes the quirkyness of the rear end noticeable. (pedal feedback in the smaller rings) I have found that this is far more pronounced with the new shock.

Dont get me wrong i absolutely love this bike in fact its my favorite bike that i have owned but while they say that granny ring climbing gives amazing traction it comes from the suspension wanting to extend in the granny ring like any high single pivot. I find that this takes more effort in the long run as on steep climbs your holding your weight up in the travel as well as moving your mass forward.

Also back to the RS shock i found that in decreasing psi to try to get the back end feeling better it would bottom out far too easily (and still never really feel that plush and nice any way)

I really have found that although the pedal feedback is a little more pronounced with a shock with less stiction etc it really does feel insanely good now with the tst r

Thanks for the explanation.

I have a 2009 Mount Vision with the RP2. I rarely use the Pro Pedal feature even though there is a slight improvement in climbing with it enabled.

On the 2010 Attack Trail with the Monarch, I find the lockout very handy for climbs and do use it fairly often when running that shock on this bike. There is a pronounced improvement with it on.

I recently put on an 2011 Monarch Plus RC3. So far so good. It seems to be slightly better descending than the 4.2 and also handles the technical climbs very well, especially climbing ledges. I think there is also more pedal movement, on thoise long grinds, but it is tolerable.

I put a 2010 Fox 36 TALAS 160 fork on it and can really feel the difference in front ewnd stability when it gets rough, even though it seemed very decent with the Revelation Team.

I too really enjoy this bike. I'd buy it again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

monarch rc3 plus

hay does the blue comp lever on the rc3 hit the frame on your attack trail???

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by brabant View Post
    hay does the blue comp lever on the rc3 hit the frame on your attack trail???
    Not that I noticed, no. So far so good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    172 mm around the main shock body

mtbr member
    Anyone know the AT eye to eye length? I too find the compression damping too much on the Monarch. I have the sag at 30% and two clicks off full turtle and it just feels harsh. I am getting full travel, but there is no plush sensation just firm on the bigger hits. I see a Monarch Plus RC3 on Craigslist I might grab

mtbr member
    I am also curious about the original question. I have an '09 Wolf Ridge (very similar to AT) that I have wanted to put a coil on the last two years, but just assumed one would not fit. Would love to see some coil shocks mounted on these frames, appease me damnit!

mtbr member
    Found it, 190mm/7.5" eye to eye.

Undercaffienated
    Hmm, this get's me thinking if I can fit a coil/piggyback shock in 2011 XM8 frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hi, Could someone tell me the stroke length on the rear shock on a Marin Attack Trail 2010 6.8? I am fed up with the Rockshox Monarch it came with and also want to upgrade to a rotst air but cant find the stroke length i need.

Many thanks in advance.

Simon
    Last edited by CyclingSi; 09-19-2012 at 02:22 PM. Reason: change post

Papa T
    Rear shock specs from Fox...this should get you the information you are looking for.

WebHelp

Click on QuickTech Rear Shocks in left side panel, then open Rear Shock Fit Chart, this is an excel file with lots of bike manufacturers rear shock specs. You can sort by MFG to make it a much smaller list.

There is no listing for 2010 AT, but assuming it is the same as 2011 AT, the specs for rear shock are:
    7.875" max. length, 2.25" stroke.
    Keep your head tube up!
    2012 Marin Mt. Vision XM Pro
    2009 Jamis Dragon ONE

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gson View Post
    Hey i also had trouble finding out info about this. I have a 2010 marin attack trail 6.8 and ended up just ordering my piggy back shock and hoping for the best.

I ordered a 2010 roco tst r Air. As you probably know there a fair bit bigger than a dhx air so might be equivalent to a coil over..

As far as how it fits.... it does but the piggy back chamber comes so close to the rear swing arm its not funny but doesnt hit. ITs been in for a couple of months now and im not having any problems with it. Fitting the shock has made such a huge difference to how it rides. The monarch that came on it was rubbish. I now have a shock that matches the killer geometry

Hope this helps
    Dude you sold me. Now how did you go about getting the fittings swapped around? Did you install it yourself? The wide one is on top and the smaller one cant be moved. Did you need any shims or additional parts? The Marin dealer here has never seen a full suspension bike. There is a specialized shop I may take it to. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coil on a 2010 Attack Trail-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349833313.446632.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    is it possible to put a coil on?