Hell Track

Can't remove rear wheel on 2013 XM 7

Had to make a new thread as i was starting to hijack another.
    Am i missing something? i can't get the darn rear wheel off. 1st time with through axles. the front is easy as pie. here are some pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can't remove rear wheel on 2013 XM 7-imag0048.jpg  

Can't remove rear wheel on 2013 XM 7-imag0046.jpg  

mtbr member
    The nut should just stay where it is, and the axle should release and then spin counter clockwise out. Is it broken?

Hell Track
    Maybe it's broken. When i spin counter clockwise, the lever just come off as in the pic

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Rear should be the same as the front. Looks broken to me.

Hell Track
    figures i got a bad one.. Marin wants me to go through the retailer for warranty, which is of course an ebay retailer. Not sure how that's gonna work. Even if i get a new axle how do i get the old one off?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Can you get an Allen key in there? Otherwise loosen the small nut holding the big nut. Than loosen the big nut.

Hell Track
    from the retailer's bike tech

"It's a relatively easy fix. This is the first I've heard of this, but I know how to solve the problem. I'm surprised Marin couldn't figure this out... It's an easy fix. He won't need any replacement parts. Only about 5 minutes of his time and a bit of Loctite.
    The skewer is two pieces - the long pice, and the end which has the lever. The Lever part threads into the long piece. At the factory, they'll apply a bit of Loctite on the threads prior to screwing in the lever part into the long skewer piece. The Loctite dries, and makes it difficult to unthread the two later. I had to get a pliers out to separate the two myself on the skewer shown in the photographs - The Loctite on that one held well, only until I overpowered it did it come loose.

It works by making it more difficult to unthread the long piece/lever body than it is to unthread the skewer assembly from the nut on the drive side of the frame. In his case, unfortunately, the nut was a greater hold, and the lever threaded off from the skewer instead.

To fix this, he can either leave the skewer in the frame OR remove the nut on the drive side of the frame (see photo #2 of it removed), unthread the lever, and pull the skewer out from that side and work on it when it's not in the frame. I'd remove the nut from the axle afterwards by holding the skewer with a pliers and unthreading the nut, and reinstall the nut back into the frame.

Apply a bit of Loctite on the threads of the lever (see photo #1). Screw it back into the long piece all the way. Let it dry. Apply grease to the threads that go into the nut. This will make sure the skewer threads/unthreads from the nut easily and he won't have this problem again. Re-install the skewer. Done. "

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Glad that you got it figured out!
    Last edited by Betzel; 11-06-2014 at 03:43 AM.

Hell Track
    thanks man, will work on it tonight. I've got to get those brakes working and cant do that with the rear wheel on. I'm hoping to have it ready to go this weekend so i can finally give it's first ride.

Hell Track
    Is the axle threaded into anything else but the nut? i still can get this sucker out, even after removing the nut

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Now that i'm thinking about this......normally you tighten the axle, than flip the lever. Guess flipping the lever causes some tension....but you already flipped the lever trying to open it right?

Hell Track
    yes, flipped open the lever. loc-tite didn't hold. I put some more on and will let it set another day