mtbr member
    May 2010

Built up a Quake XLT.01.1

Hi guys,

I just built up this bike and wanted to share. I started with a Marin Quake frame - the XLT.01.1 from 2006 or 2007. Not sure but from the previous owner, a dealer, I'm told the frame was one of their demos used at shows.

This was a total budget build. It came with a FOX DHX 5.0 shock, bottom bracket and an FSA headset already installed. From the owner's leftover parts bin I picked up an e.thirteen crank, Marzocchi 04 Z150 Bomber fork, XT shadow rear derailleur and SLX shifters. Found a set of nearly new Avid BB7's with SL levers for $80 via Craigslist. A friend of mine hooked me up with a set of Mavic D321 wheels and MAXXIS tires for $100. Last stop was the local Performance Bikes for a WTB Pure V seat, Forte stem and seat post, SRAM chain, tubes and shifter cable. I came in just under $1k.

I'm running a 1x9 configuration and the bike tips the scales at an even 40 lbs. Had my first test ride yesterday at Wakefield. I need to adjust the derailleur as I was only able to use the top 8 gears.

I've never built up a MTB so this was pretty exciting for me. All I've really rode up till this point has been XC. I'll be taking the plunge with the Quake this weekend at Diablo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Built up a Quake XLT.01.1-marin_first_ride.jpg  

mtbr member
    how did it ride?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Sad story. We had planned to drive up to Diablo on Saturday afternoon. Saturday morning was really nice and I was really itching to ride so I set out to Wakefield again with two buddies of mine. We came across a freshly built jump with a pit in between the gap. It was honestly a pretty small jump that I think most of you all would laugh at. Might have been 5 foot gap? Well, me being 28 and pretty wet behind the ears when it comes to dirt jumping, I probably had this coming...

I didn't carry enough speed and by the time I knew I was gonna eat **** it was too late to bail (I was clipped in). I tried to veer off to the left side of the ramp. Unfortunately there were small logs extending out from the dirt lander and my front wheel hit just before it. The bike somersaulted and I went flying, landing on my head and left shoulder. Seeing double, pissed off, and full of adrenaline, I paced around for a minute before picking up my bike and sitting down in a stupor.

I was fine, just ego bruised. When the double vision went away I hit the jump again (video to come)making sure I had plenty of speed this time. I had too much speed actually but I stuck the landing and made that gap my *****. Neither of my friends would attempt it.

Sore as $h%t afterward, I decided I didn't really want to drive 12 hours only to spend half that time riding Diablo in probably pain. I'm gonna try to make it up one of the next nice weekends in May and ride both days rather than one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    don't ride downhill clipped in. You are nuts for doing that

mtbr member
    Quakes rock!!!

l have been selling them ever since they came out in 2006.

owned a bunch of them --

got some super deals on the close outs too.

can ship close outs (current year models are pick up in person only)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Built up a Quake XLT.01.1-mikercf6_110091.jpg  

Built up a Quake XLT.01.1-mikercf6_110096.jpg  

Built up a Quake XLT.01.1-mikercf6_110093.jpg  

Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...