mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Building new Wolfridge......wheels?.....components?

I am building a new 2009 wolfridge and wanted to know what wheels y'all are using for the 12mm Maxle.

Also what front deraileur (top swing), thinking SLX cranks with the 36-22 double.

Considering Sektor 150mm solo-air?

Any inputs and other suggestions. Thnx

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have Transition Revolution 32s on mine, with Nevegals. Mine came with WTB wheels, I'm not sure which model. I put Big Apple street tires on them and they haven't seen much use. (I learned that I am too lazy to ride to work.)

Mine came with a Deore FD but I'm planning to replace it with a chainguide. I'm using a triple-ring crank (Truvativ Blaze, came with the bike), but the outer ring is a bash and the inner ring gets no use. I have no plans to change that. The middle ring is 32t and the cassette is 11-34.

I have a 140mm fork, and I'm sure 150mm would be fine. Marin says the bike has a 67 degree head angle and 34.5cm BB height. Yours would get a little slacker and taller, but not enough to really matter.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I've had Hope rear hub for 12mm maxle. I also have spare set of Marin QR drop outs and usually run them as I can swap out with my 650B wheels.

My terrain allows me to run 1 x 9 [ 28 x 11-34] .

I've run 140 and 150 forks. For general trail riding I like the 140 as it is just a bit crisper in the single track. I just find myself pushing harder and faster in these conditions on the 140. If your doing All Mountain then 150 would be good.I usually run a Fox 140 as it allows me to run 650b.
    A 150 is not a problem , there's no wheel flop and no negative affect on the rear suspension. Just a bit more fork dive, less small bump compliance[ off loading the front] a bit slower steering and wander on the climbs.

Pics
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 08-15-2011 at 02:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Hey gvs,

What is your headtube length. I'm trying to see if a pike with an 8" steerer tube would be ling enough on a medium frame. Can get a good deal in fork, but don't want tube too short.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Also, looking to buy a wheelset. If you got an extra that fits, would be interested if you don't need.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfbeast View Post
    Hey gvs,

What is your headtube length. I'm trying to see if a pike with an 8" steerer tube would be ling enough on a medium frame. Can get a good deal in fork, but don't want tube too short.
    Marin Bikes | 2009 Collection | Mountain FRS | Quad Trail | Wolf Ridge 6.8 - Bubba Green

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfbeast View Post
    Also, looking to buy a wheelset. If you got an extra that fits, would be interested if you don't need.
    No sorry. I think QR dropouts are about $40 from your local Marin Dealer. That would be the cheapest option.