mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Broken Rear Maxle Axle

So I had the inner adjustment rod in a original rear maxle axle shaft for my 09 Mount Vision break. The rear maxle axle was the original design that came with the Marin branded Maxle 135mm x 12mm kit purchased a couple years ago.
    So there is a new RockShox Maxle lite rear axle as the replacement. Web searches for replacement rear Maxle shafts found Universal Cycles having the best price and items in stock. The item # for the replacement Maxle Lite from Universal Cycles is 35742-82258. Price was $56.00 plus shipping. It actually seems to be better than the original rear Maxle lite without the full length inner rod (skewer) for tensioning. However, READ the enclosed instruction sheet. There is still an internal tension adjuster in the new axle. Another point is that the full length of the axle is 12mm, not cut down in the center like some other versions of the 12mm rear Maxle offered.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=35742

* FunFacts * The original design rear “Marin” Maxle shaft weighs in at 105 grams and the new RockShox replacement is 72 grams. Additional information on the packaging includes . . .FS1014, 00.4315.015.010 and the bar code shows 710845656170
    Last edited by card; 04-15-2011 at 05:06 PM.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Interesting.

I had an analogous yet somewhat different experience.

I have a 2009 MV and a 2010 AT.

I purchased the 135mm Maxle Light kit from Marin when the bike was purchased in October 2010. It works great and is showing no issues.

The 2010 AT purchased new this year had a Maxle Light axle also, but it was much lighter than the one in the MV and had the turned down center. It failed in several ways after a handful of rides:

1) internal adjuster seized
    2) the axle split at the internal tensioner where the ball bearings seat
    3) attempts to loosen the axle using a bare hand caused the shoulders to snap off the axle (I am not exactly Arnold Schwarzenegger)

This axle was not abused in any way, just used, and had plenty of lubricant. It isn't like I had not used a Maxle before since I had the one on th MV for so long. Very odd failure, almost like the metal was just not right.

SRAM replaced it quickly (Thanks!) and the replacement I received is a quite different design than the one that failed so miserably. The replacement is a single diameter all the way through, similar but not identical to the Maxle Light that came with the MV kit.

Further, in the meantime I purchased two replacements for spares from a dealer at a great discount (too expensive to buy at full pop). The two I purchased are quite different from the three other examples I have seen first hand.

It is clear there have been production variations for whatever reason. So far I have not had any issues with the replacement axle which has lasted now at least twice as long as the first (short lived) example.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    First pic is the original maxle from the Marin kit.
    I am pretty sure I broke it over time from having it to tight.

Second pic is the Sram/RockShox replacement.
    The version 2 maxle has done well so far with no issues.
    NOTE that there is a "internal" tension adjuster in the new version maxle.
    Although I have not needed to tension it yet, I would recommend checking it before every ride.

I do carry a spare in my pack now.
    I don`t want a long walk out of the woods.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Broken Rear Maxle Axle-marin-maxleaxleold-x.jpg  

Broken Rear Maxle Axle-marin-maxleaxlenew-x.jpg  

Last edited by card; 05-02-2011 at 09:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Yea I know the Maxle version you are talking about.
    It is like the new version but the axle center section is turned down to save weight.
    There were a lot of references of some hub brands braking with that version maxle.
    The "cut down" maxle`s were letting the hubs flex and brake in the center.

It`s poor that shops and ebay sellers were / are still selling the old versions.
    You would of thought the manufacture would have notified the retailers and recalled the older units.
    These were "defects" as far as I am concerned.

You should have good riding with the "new" version.