Bought a Marin today

Printable View

• 02-01-2013
    azorr
    Bought a Marin today
    Picked up a 2008 Pine Mountain 29er frame today. I am excited to build it up. Currently have a set of Sun Ringle Comp wheels, a NOS 2009 Reba Dual Air Team fork, M660 SLX crankset and a carbon flat handlebar, most of the drive train and brakes I will be borrowing from my current bike until I can afford to buy better for this one. Will post pics as soon as I get to building, as I still need a few more bits (stem, bottom bracket, probably some other stuff that won't transfer over).
  • 02-01-2013
    kjlued
    Congrats, love my 2012 Bolinas Ridge and it is pretty entry level.
  • 02-26-2013
    kwokdog
    I picked up a 2012 XM8 - ground shipping though - can't wait to get it!!!
  • 02-26-2013
    Desertride
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kwokdog View Post
    I picked up a 2012 XM8 - ground shipping though - can't wait to get it!!!

Was it 1799.97? It looks like the 2012 Quad3 Mount Vision had some issues and was not very popular. They seem to have taken their cost cutting too far with the decision to put a standard QR axle on the rear. The 2013 spec looks to have fixed things.

That said, I also ordered one anyway. This will be my third Marin, and first full suspension. Hopefully Marin will honor the warranty despite it being bought off ebay. The chance that the bearings will last more than a year or two...
  • 02-26-2013
    kwokdog
    Thats the one. I imagine Marin will honor the warranty, although it does say specifically in their warranty that they won't for ebay purchases. The listing says "NEW in Box with Warranty " and I contacted the seller and got a verbal confirmation (now that we are discussing I am going to try and get it in writing).

I am just returning to the sport after a 6 year hiatus and I figured this was a great deal. I wasn't looking to spend over $2500. This seemed like a good 'starter' bike - it is souped up with good components and I rode the XM6 around their factory floor and loved it.

What's the issue with the standard QR axle on the rear? Can that be switched out for a thru-bolt and solve the issue? Just returning to the sport so not sure about these things....

Also considering losing the 42 ring and putting on a 32 bash guard.

Any other upgrades you are considering?
  • 02-26-2013
    Desertride
    Some reviews on the bike indicated that the rear had flex issues. If you look at the 2013 model they changed the non-drive side chainstay angle and added the new 142 thru axle to stiffen things. Apparently this solved the problems. I'm not really an aggressive rider so I'm hoping it's not something I will notice.

(The dropouts cannot be changed)

The main upgrade I would look at is a dropper seatpost. Pretty standard these days for an AM/Trail bike but unfortunately rather pricey. Aside from that I'll see how I like the grips. I'm still deciding what pedals to get for it. For commuting (often with a 4 yo on the back) I use flat downhill pedals. But for the Mount vision I'll definitely go with clipless.
  • 02-26-2013
    kwokdog
    I am not a super aggressive rider either, but I am a bit heavy at ~200lbs. I'm 5'10'' and ordered the medium. I had a cannondale super-V 1000 for 8 years and never had any issues - it was a heavier bike. I guess we shall see!!

I'll look at the dropper seat posts after a few rides I'm sure.

I ordered the Shimano XT PD-M785 pedals and also a set of one sided 2013 Shimano PD-M530 MTB SPD Pedals. both were on pretty good sale on amazon so figured I would try both.
  • 02-26-2013
    Desertride
    I'm basically the same height and weight as you. I'm leaning to the time atac line of pedals. And I forgot to mention tubeless tire sealant.
  • 02-26-2013
    kwokdog
    Did you go with the medium?
  • 02-26-2013
    Desertride
    Yup. Wasn't really a question for me because I have short legs. My actual inseam measures about 30.5 So many bikes which are the right size don't have enough clearance. I really need the extra space from the dip in the toptube.
  • 02-26-2013
    kwokdog
    Same same - I'm a 30 inseam.... cool.

One thing I need to figure out is the shock setup - I don't even have a shock pump yet! Is there a standard PSI for the shocks for ~200 lbs? Or is it more trial and error (calculate travel, pump to 50 PSI, sit on it, adjust.....)?

Looking forward to hearing how you like it. I think I will receive mine early next week.

I plan on taking it to Marin County actually for the inaugural ride!
  • 02-26-2013
    Desertride
    The manual will have recommended settings - then you will want to play around with it a bit. Unfortunately I doubt I'll have a chance to get it set up until summer. Work - moving - etc. But I want to hear about your experience.
  • 02-27-2013
    kwokdog
    I will definitely keep you posted. It arrives Saturday!!! Very pumped.
  • 04-19-2013
    ivarulz
    Hi guys,

Di you receive the bikes?

How are they working, how is the fit?
  • 04-30-2013
    ciocc
    I also bought a 2012 XM8 from the same seller at the *Bay site. My only complaint is that they listed 3x10 XT components, but it turned out to be 2x10 X7/X9. I emailed the seller but got no response. However, I really like SRAM since it feels similar to Campy on my road bikes.

I'm not an aggressive rider and has just recently got back to this sport. My last FS bike was a 2001 Enduro Sport. Therefore, it is a huge upgrade.

I'm 5'8" about 30" riding inseam. It fits perfectly. I run the stock Ardent 2.25 tubeless using Stan's sealant and it was very easy to seat the tires using a floor pump.

Overall, I'm very happy about my purchase. It would have cost me more than $2200 to build a similar bike.

kwokdog and Desertride, let's hear your story.
  • 04-30-2013
    Desertride
    I was in the middle of moving when I ordered it and so I had to put it directly into storage. I'm hoping it comes with a 3x10 XT. The 2x9 SRAM was on the euro spec bike. Is the left shifter one that can be switched between two and three gearing? I actually have a nice Truvativ Noir crankset I could switch out.
  • 04-30-2013
    azorr
    4 Attachment(s)
    Sorry, just realized I never responded to this thread. I have had my Marin build and running for a month or so. I named it the Franken-Pine since its only a Marin by frame. Love the bike, its Awsome!

Attachment 795105Attachment 795106Attachment 795107Attachment 795108
  • 05-01-2013
    ciocc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Desertride View Post
    The 2x9 SRAM was on the euro spec bike. Is the left shifter one that can be switched between two and three gearing?

Yeah, mine is a UK spec with a white fork and 2x10 SRAM. I suppose you're referring to the right shifter for the rear derailleur. It does shift up 3 gears with one long push. Shifting down is still one at a time.
  • 05-01-2013
    Desertride
    No I'm asking if the front derailleur and/or shifter can be used in both a 2x10 and 3x10 configuration.
  • 05-02-2013
    ciocc
    I don't have a definite answer for you since I'm not using it for 3x10. However, looking at the stock pictures between a 2x10 and 3x10 FD, the 2x10 has a smaller inner plate, so it would have problem bring the chain up from the smallest to the biggest ring.
  • 05-02-2013
    Desertride
    I'm more concerned about the shifter pod. From what I gather SRAM only makes one x9 front shifter pod for both 3x10 and 2x10. For the derailleur itself I can find a decent direct mount for very little, and Shimano and Sram front Derailleurs are interchangeable.
  • 05-02-2013
    ciocc
    I see where the confusion came from. The bike came with a X7 FD and X7 (S1400) crankset. Only the RD and shifters are X9. On the positive side, the shifters are the new ones with ball bearing. I also believe it works for both 3X and 2X.

The seller should have mentioned there were some SRAM spec'ed models iinstead of XT's.
  • 05-06-2013
    kwokdog
    4 Attachment(s)
    Sorry for the delayed response. I received the bike and love it. It is perfect for me considering I haven't had a bike since my C-dale superv 1000 was stolen in 2009. I wanted something I wouldn't have to do anything to out of the box. It came with the XT components (it is spec to the US 2012 xm8) and I only added a light and XT clip less pedals.

I've done a couple rides in Santa Cruz (way to intense for my first ride out but halfway through the day I was confidently screaming down the hill and throwing this bike off 3 foot drops) and China Camp (the bike shines here on the gradual uphill and fast paced long gradual downhills - lots of control).

I am 5'10'' 205lbs 30 inseam and I picked up the medium - very happy with the size.

I paid the price listed above and am pumped! Huge upgrade from the ol' super v.

Attachment 796897Attachment 796898Attachment 796899Attachment 796900
  • 05-09-2013
    ciocc
    Thanks for the update kwokdog. Nice pictures.

Have you modified anything on your XM8? I converted the SunRingle into tubeless and ran 28 psi / 30 psi, replaced the thin stock grips with ODI; also added a dropper post that my friend gave me. I'm still search for the right rebound settings on both front and rear shocks. Will post some pictures once I get some time.