Thread: Which bike?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Which bike?

I've narrowed my choice down to 2 bikes, the Marin 2009 Mount vision 5.7 and 2010 Attack trail 6.7. The price difference is $250. Iíve ridden the Mount Vision and really like it and am going to try and ride a 2009 Wolf Ridge as that is the only thing close here in the North Dallas area. All the reports and some individual responses really praise the Attack Trail.

Large part of my ridding will be North Dallas trails with Erwin and Ray Roberts being the main ones.

What are the thoughts of those who have experience with either of these bikes?

Bloodied but Unbowed
    I have a 2009 MV 5.7 and a 2010 AT 6.8.

I have ridden the MV everywhere I have gone with the AT. It is quick, nimble and does everything really well. It seems to be very well built.

The AT pedals a little heavier but is still an extremely capable climber. It descends amazingly well. The slacker geometry makes it more like a mini downhill bike that you can actually pedal. It does it all. It is also burlier. I find it very confidence inspiring. It truly does ride like a bike with more suspension than what the specs state.

I still ride each of them quite a bit. If you are more into very aggressive XC/AM and some DH riding, the AT is probably your bike., If aggressive XC/AM and less DH sort of stuff, the MV will do it well and with less heft.

Both my MV and AT are upgraded, but the AT is now quite a bit heavier than it started. When it was stock, it was only about 1.5 lbs heavier than the MV. Now it is closer to 3.5 lbs, but well worth it.

Seriously, you can't really go wrong with either bike, but from my experience, if you like the descents more than the climbs, the AT may serve you better. Again, I take my MV everywhere the AT goes. My perspective is from AZ riding which tends to be more on the gnarly side of things compared to some areas.

I bet the 2011 MV is awesome, but of course nowhere near the deals you're looking at.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i have attack trail 6.9 very good bikes,the 6.7 would be just as good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks guys for your opinions. I'm also leaning to the MV 2010 5.6 for the upfront price

mtbr member
    If you're in the Dallas area, I think the MV would be better, since the terrain up there doesn't really require 6 inches of travel. You save money and weight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks Pulpwoody, I'm mostly leaning that way.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Wolf ridge is a great trail bike, same geometry as 11 MV. But they are as heavy as the AT. Still climb very well though. Frames were cheap on Ebay and Bob's bicycles.
    I've got both 09 MV and 09WR. Love the slack angled lazy handling of the WR. Great Trail ride. Carves corners all day. MV is a fun xc ride. I always come back with a grin . I can never ride it slow though . It just wants to be hammered. The WR for my long rides, fast open trails and AM duties.
    AT is mini DH geometry . Short cockpit and slack angles.Ideal shuttle run bike. Where as the MV and WR are still a good length in the top tube for a bit more versatility. If your not too tall and your terrain allows you to use a very wide tall bar setup, then AT would be a lot of fun on the down hills.
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 05-11-2011 at 03:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks gvs_nz

I'm 95% shure I'm going with the MV as the price is better. 2 questios for you guys

I test rode a MV large frame at a local LBS and it felt good.
    The place I can get a lot better deal from only has a medium frame. I'm only 5'10" which fits the Marin size chart. would you guys have any concerns?

I'm buying it as a kit and I'm thinking of switchig out the stock Fox 32 F120R forcks for the lower cost Rockshox reba. What our your thoughts on this as well?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    My preference is for a longer wheelbase and short stem. They are a tallish bike so can feel a bit tippy. Combined with the suspension design respond better if you are centred on the bikes. They don't like to much rear weight shift if you need an offset post to fit the smaller frame.
    I've got a 120R on one of my bikes. Swapped out oil for lighter weight and rides as well as my RL. The fox in 100 and 120 size are very good[ rockshox are as good in longer forks] and well matched to the rear end. Others may have opinions on the Reba.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Ready to order bike today and they tell me they have no more 2009 MV in stock. bummer.