mtbr member

The best upgrades to my AT.

Here's a list of the things I've added in the last year or so that have made a huge difference in how I ride the bike, improving control, efficiency, and just more fun. This list isn't mind blowing, but for anyone looking to make changes, these are good places to start.

1. Wide handle bars.
    2. Bigger rear cassette. Went to a 36 tooth.....HUGE difference.
    3. Kenda Nevegal in the rear. Works for me and cheap.
    4. Dropper post. This was the biggest and best upgrade by far.

Just my 2 cents.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Seems to me we had a thread similar to this some time ago...anyway, good list.

Here's mine:

31" (~790mm) bars: huge positive difference in control in pretty much all riding conditions.

50mm stem: for me, long torso but short legs, allowed for better weight distribution for descending and drops, and gave up just a little on climbing easily compensated for by technique. This plus the bars changed my riding dramatically literally from one ride to the next.

11-34 cassette: recently switched back to 11-32 now that I am in better shape, but for a while, the two extra teeth and the distritbution of the ratios really made the difference on climbs. Now I climb everything just fine with the 11-32. However, I do run 22/36 chainrings plus bash up front.

Medium cage rear der: keeps it out of the rocks a bit more.

Chain Guide: was losing the chain at least once every ride, now it is a very rare.

Fox 36 160mm TALAS RC2 fork: My AT 5.7 had the 150mm Revelation Team Dual Air. While the Rock Shox worked great, the 36mm Fox is even better. Heavier for sure, but way more rigid. Confidence on descents is unparalleled. I use the TALAS feature on some climbs.

Big brakes: I like brakes. Four piston Hayes calipers and 203mm rotors offer fade-free stopping power and great modulation.

KS-i950R: dropper post works great and makes a huge difference in riding

Other additions, Hadley hubs because I had trouble with the Jumping Flea rear. SRAM was great about its repair/replacement. Replaced the EN321 rims with WTB TCS Freeride. So far these are great wheels and lighter than the stock Sun Ringle/WTB combo.

Lately also been running a true 2.50 tire front and rear. Again, super on descents and sketchy stuff. Kenda sidewalls were not working out for me -- too flimsy for AZ rocks although they do seem to grip well. Run Maxxis Minion DHF/High Roller for a while until they wore out (great traction but too skinny for their size) and now run WTB Prowler MX/WTB Dissent front and rear. They are wearing out too but have been a good all-around tire.

My AT is my do-all bike. It just feels right. Although a bit more portly than when I bought it, I am not too interested in changing much at this stage, except maybe pedals. It works really well.

I am somewhat concerned about what would replace it when the frame wears out. Hopefully I won't need to act on that for a while.

mtbr member
    Hey DC...are you doing the Spring Fling? Also, the Fox over the Revelation....is it just stiffer, plusher?

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by pulpwoody View Post
    Hey DC...are you doing the Spring Fling? Also, the Fox over the Revelation....is it just stiffer, plusher?
    Spring Fling, not sure yet I guess. Looks like the dates are still congealing. I usually don't have enough time but maybe I will try to participate this year. Likely won't be travelling to Sedona or Tucson though. What are you thinking?

The Revelation worked mighty fine and is certainly a lot lighter (around a pound as I recall). I think the Revelation worked at least as well overall as the Fox, but the Fox is noticably stiffer, gives me a small amount more travel, and has the TALAS feature which I use periodically on some climbs.

The difference I notice is less wallowing on some types of features, again, while descending, and maybe some more stability in turns. The Revelation may actually be more supple than the Fox, but that's from memory and impressions so may not be reliable. Both are fine forks, as far as I can tell.

On the downside, the Fox 36 inner bushings seem to wear out fast which has been confirmed by a few locals with the same fork. Mine probably need to be replaced real soon here, and the fork is not even been in use a year.

I also changed out the rear shock for a 2011 HV RC3 and forgot to add that to my list. I do not consider it a significant change, I guess. It works well but the stock shock worked okay too. I did find myself using the platform feature ("pro pedal", lockout, whatever you wish to call it) on climbs, something I do not do with the MV and the RP23 for example. I felt it could be better and was not able to get it there with the adjustments available so I experimented with the RC3. The RC3 seems to be tuned a bit better for chunkier riding, maybe, dunno.

I could have easily gotten by without changing the suspension front or rear, I am just a hack rider, but I wanted to maximize stiffness and travel, and the fact that the upscale version of the AT came with a Fox 36 160mm fork, well, felt like I was missing out on something...lordy...

mtbr member
    Good to know about the fork, doesn't sound like a world of difference.....or at least a couple hundred dollars worth.

I've never been to the Spring Fling, and I have a buddy who might be making it out there. If you've been, how is it?

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Monetary worth is so subjective, but I'd do it again, but that's me, I understand and appreciate that the difference may not be worth it to some or many. I need all the help I can get.

I have not been but people here love it and we get lots of out of towners. The riding in AZ is awesome of course and it is made all the more worthwhile by having knowledgable people show the way. Personally I am not much into crowds and aprties and tend to avoid large groups but if you like the party and fun atmosphere I am sure it is worth it. The riding most certainly is, and at a time of year where you are not parbroiled before the end of the ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    My Float is plusher over sharp multiple hits compared to My Rev. The Rev works well on flat hits and rolling hits like brake moguls where you can work the fat mid range.Also less fork dive.The Fox can take a bit of tuning. But then they are self tunable[ air vol and oil weight], where as, your limited to fork oil weight on the Rev[ I never use low speed compression adjust or platform on any of my forks except when single speeding]. The Bushing thing must be a 36 or very dusty environment thing? Some of my 32's are into their third season on the same bushings.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Could be a 36 thing, yes, and may even just be a 36 TALAS thing. Others around here with the same fork have noted a similar issue on some forks. I will get it rebuilt in a month or so here. I have a non-TALAS 32 too and the only thing ever done to it is seals. I am not sure how dust would be a factor since the bushings are tucked deep away from exposure to the elements, but could be, dunno.

I think the 36 RC2 works better in the faster chunky DH sections than the Rev, but since I got the fork close enough, I just ride it. There's probably room for tuning it even more.