• 12-02-2012
    skidad
    Attack Trail owner(s) I need a favor please
    I'm considering one of these bikes for a 650B conversion and need a clearance check done. Large frame would be best as it has the steepest seat tube angle @ 73.8 degrees but I'll be happy with whatever you got available.

If someone owns one these Attack Trails (2010 or 2011) please let ALL the air out of the rear shock, bottom it out hard and see how close it comes to the seat post (or anything else). I'm looking for at least 13mm of clearance space between tire and seatpost and the more the better for a tall 650B tire like the new Nobby Nick. A picture would be great if possible.

Thanks in advance and long live Quad Link 2 :thumbsup:

Skidad
  • 12-02-2012
    zombinate
    can't speak for the AT, but I have a rift zone. I can fit the Quasi-moto, and the neo-moto 2.1. The Neo 2.3 fits in diameter, but is too wide for the chainline.

also might want to check out THIS THREAD
  • 12-02-2012
    skidad
    Rift Zone is a completely different animal. Attack Trail easily handles a 2.35" tire.

Only possible issue with the AT will be seat post contact and/or FD tire contact in granny ring.
  • 12-03-2012
    zombinate
    True, but you will find that others using the Mount Vision and Wolf Ridge frames ran into a similar issue, as shown in the link I provided. The WR, like the Attack Trail, can accept a wide 26" tire, but the issue is with the chainline. Unless you space the crankset out on the drive side, the lowest gearing rubs between tire and chain (assuming a triple). While I have never seen an Attack Trail modified, the swingarm and suspension arc are close to the Wolf Ridge, and so I anticipate similar issues. Even on my Rift Zone, if I switched to a 1x9 or a spaced out 2x9, I could run Neo 2.3's or Nevegals without issue relative to the seatpost spacing at full compression.
  • 12-03-2012
    skidad
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zombinate View Post
    True, but you will find that others using the Mount Vision and Wolf Ridge frames ran into a similar issue, as shown in the link I provided. The WR, like the Attack Trail, can accept a wide 26" tire, but the issue is with the chainline. Unless you space the crankset out on the drive side, the lowest gearing rubs between tire and chain (assuming a triple). While I have never seen an Attack Trail modified, the swingarm and suspension arc are close to the Wolf Ridge, and so I anticipate similar issues. Even on my Rift Zone, if I switched to a 1x9 or a spaced out 2x9, I could run Neo 2.3's or Nevegals without issue relative to the seatpost spacing at full compression.

Well not to get into a pissing match here but I've gone through that link again (which I have read a few times) and the issues I see are potential seat post contact and FD contact. Possibly some seat stay rub was mentioned but I think that was really the lower swingarm (where it could get a little tight up front) as it would be next to impossible to rub the upper arms without something seriously wrong. If you want to call the FD contact a chain issue so be it but the tire is not gonna contact the chain (BTW I have my sons 08 MV right here to look at some of these things but even this bike is different from an 11 MV and the AT).

Almost every year the MV chain stay length has grown to the longest being the 2011 140mm bike @ 430mm. The Attack Trail has 20mm longer CS (440mm) than a 2010 MV (120 travel, 420mm CS) and 10mm longer than the 2011 MV (140 travel, 430mm CS) along with steeper STA. These combined move the tire back into a wider part of the swingarm (the AT also has 142 hub spacing) and away from the FD which moves slightly forward with the steeper STA. Also if you run 2 x 9 or 10 (which I would initially) you can use the Shimano SLX 665 series compact double specific FD which has a much shorter cage than what comes stock on the bikes. It's designed as a 2 x 9 speed FD only (wont work on a triple) but works fine with 10 speed out back. This FD might solve interference issues for current MV owners going 650B? Ultimately a 1x10 (possibly with a custom 38 or bigger top cog) or the XX1 system (when the price drops to mortal levels) would be the ideal setup and dump the FD altogether. It's a few mm here and there that add up to hopefully allowing this to work. My brain hurts from crunching different #'s and scenarios and need someone to just check the AT or a 2011 MV which also could be a possibility.
  • 12-03-2012
    Betzel
    Skidad, i have read your PM. Very busy right now but on Thursday i will have my hands on my bike. I will let you know.

FYI already: I ride Continental Rubber Queen 2.2 aka Trail King i believe.... Sort of tire matters on the space i guess.
  • 12-05-2012
    lolz
    So I ran this image through ImageJ, used seattube diameter as scale and the seattube clearance seems to be... 12.75mm. I'd say the uncertainty is about +/- 1 mm, so it's gonna be tight.

http://i50.tinypic.com/29ooh78.jpg

I cannot comment on the derailleur clearance, cuz I just installed a single ring guide:)

Oh, and this is on a 2010 AT with slightly worn 2.35 Nevs.
  • 12-06-2012
    skidad
    Thanks for snapping the picture :thumbsup: Yes it will be tight/close. A Neo Moto 2.3 might require a shim, a Nevegal 2.35 most likely and the new Nobby Nick 2.35 absolutely which is 6mm taller in radius than the Neo Moto.

I think you measurement is right on the money. See the black clip holding the brake cable to the lower swingarm? That clip is about 6mm wide (in real life) and if I take my caliper to the picture where the tire has the least clearance it's more than twice the width of 2 of those clips from the picture. Scientific huh?

I'd gladly give up a little travel for the 650B tires.
  • 12-09-2012
    Betzel
    And my pic ('11 Mount Vision XM9) - These are Centimeters.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...o/DSC07778.jpg
  • 04-02-2013
    skidad
    650B tire clearance confirmed!!!
    For those that want to know I got my hands on an Attack Trail frame and test fit what is probably the tallest 650B tire out there the Schwalbe NN 2.35" tire (about 27.75" tall). No problem clearance wise what so ever at full bottom out. Couple mm's to spare. No custom dropouts needed for this frame. Dam cool IMO.

What is not so cool is the weight. Frame/shock (X-Fusion 02 RCX)/dropouts/head cups (just the cups which weigh nothing)/and Maxle axle for a medium came in a 8.69lbs. I thought my scale might be wrong so I weighed some light weights and it's bang on correct. So yeah, a bit porky but pretty exciting it clears 650B with no issues.
  • 04-05-2013
    Betzel
    Pics?
  • 04-05-2013
    skidad
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Betzel View Post
    Pics?

Ok, I'll try before I send it back to the seller. He advertised it as a large and it was in fact a medium. Even had Marin run the serial # to confirm the size. Frame is in pristine shape so I was really bummed. Search continues.
  • 04-05-2013
    Betzel
    Bummer! Too bad you're not in the area. I'm looking for an apportunity to get a Attack Trail..... What did you pay (via private message)?
  • 04-05-2013
    skidad
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Betzel View Post
    Bummer! Too bad you're not in the area. I'm looking for an apportunity to get a Attack Trail..... What did you pay (via private message)?

PM sent
  • 04-05-2013
    gvs_nz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    For those that want to know I got my hands on an Attack Trail frame and test fit what is probably the tallest 650B tire out there the Schwalbe NN 2.35" tire (about 27.75" tall). No problem clearance wise what so ever at full bottom out. Couple mm's to spare. No custom dropouts needed for this frame. Dam cool IMO.

What is not so cool is the weight. Frame/shock (X-Fusion 02 RCX)/dropouts/head cups (just the cups which weigh nothing)/and Maxle axle for a medium came in a 8.69lbs. I thought my scale might be wrong so I weighed some light weights and it's bang on correct. So yeah, a bit porky but pretty exciting it clears 650B with no issues.

That's good news. My porky beats yours. My Meta 6 is about 8.8lbs without maxle.
    I think the Rune you were also looking at hits at least 8 lbs?
    Something comes with weight though. Stiffness and no pinging around on the rough stuff. Bit tougher on those short steep climbs though.
  • 04-05-2013
    skidad
    9 Attachment(s)
    Pics
  • 04-06-2013
    gvs_nz
    Bugger it's the wrong size, that's a sweet looking frame.
  • 04-06-2013
    skidad
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    Bugger it's the wrong size, that's a sweet looking frame.

Yup, the thing is just mint so it makes me a bit sick to my stomach it turned out to be the wrong size. I'm gonna keep looking for an AT but today I ordered a new Banshee Spitfire V2 frame and should have it in a week hopefully. Jamis Dakar was finally sold.
  • 04-13-2013
    hmorsi
    Quote:

Yup, the thing is just mint so it makes me a bit sick to my stomach it turned out to be the wrong size. I'm gonna keep looking for an AT but today I ordered a new Banshee Spitfire V2 frame and should have it in a week hopefully. Jamis Dakar was finally sold.

Many thanks for sharing the information and pictures, skidad. Now I am super tempted to convert my XM8 to 650B. It'll have to wait several months though since I can't afford both a new wheelset and fork right now.
  • 04-13-2013
    gvs_nz
    Quote:

I ordered a new Banshee Spitfire V2 frame and should have it in a week hopefully.

Nice.

My Wolf Ridge frame has very similar geometry and travel. Marin was ahead of their time 4 years ago.:thumbsup:
  • 04-18-2013
    pulpwoody
    hmmmmm. Kinda of a bummer since I replaced the rear rim a couple of months ago with the old 26 size.