Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Graphic Violence

... and if we just ... Alpine Link kit??

Has anyone used this for there bike?
    I talked to Marin about types of forks and handling and this is what they offer for my 05 attack trail.

"Alpine Link kit that alters the frame geometry slightly dropping the bottom bracket shell and slackening the head and seat tube angles. This gives the bike greater high speed stability for fast descending".

Remember tuck and roll!!!

Thanks

~J

mtbr member
    I haven't but you might be able to find some reviews at:

http://www.bikemagic.com/

Graphic Violence
    Thanks man, i'll ckeckem out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Hey DeadWeight,

So the kit drops BB height by 10mm and take 1 degree off head and seat angle. I don't have a link from our site for the info.

Try here for a review of the kit fitted to a Whyte (very simlar to your TARA bike as they use the same suspension and were designed by the same bloke)....

http://www.bikemagic.com/news/articl...N/4164/v/1/sp/

Cheers!

Nick

Graphic Violence
    Quote Originally Posted by mmbnick
    Thanks very much, just the info I was looking for.

Greeting!

mtbr "member"

Anyone know where you can source an alpine link?

Anyone know where you can order an alpine link in the U.S.? There's a bunch of U.K. distributors. Haven't heard back from Marin after an email either.

REEK

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Hey Reek,

Sorry to hear you haven't yet received a reply to your email enquiry. Your local Marin dealer can order the part for you. It's in stock today here at Marin, part number is PLI-6APTA-006A.

Follow the link below to find your nearest dealer. Or call us at 800-222-7557.
    http://www.marinbikes.com/bicycles_2...m_dealers.html

Cheers,

Nick

mtbr "member"

Thanks a bunch

Really appreciate the "spoon feeding" with the part number. I'll give the shop in D.C. a call. No real Marin shops in the Baltimore area unfortunately, except REI.

Nice to have a Marin rep hanging around on the site!

REEK

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Reek,

You can also give the guys at Big Wheel in Bethesda, MD a call on 301 652 0192

Cheers,

Nick

Graphic Violence
    Did you get hooked up?

mtbr "member"

maybe out of buisness or closed for now

called a couple times and emailed. no answer or reply. guess I'll keep trying

REEK

mtbr "member"

I'll never poo poo REI again!

Just got a call from REI. Originally didn't have the foggiest idea what I was even talking about. But they REALLY went out of their way to figure out what I was trying to say. Spoke to 3 different people and the "bike tech". Finally had the manager on the line. He called Marin and ordered the part with the part number from this thread. Should be here in 1-3 weeks.

I'll post an update when it arrives and I put a ride or two on it. Hope it helps with the front end twitchiness.

REEK

Graphic Violence
    Quote Originally Posted by Reek
    Just got a call from REI. Originally didn't have the foggiest idea what I was even talking about. But they REALLY went out of their way to figure out what I was trying to say. REEK
    I try not to go to REI, they piss me off for some reason…
    I’m glad they got what you needed if you don’t mind how much did it cost you?
    The guy I talk to at MARIN said around 70 bucks.

Thaks for the update

HA! got your PM thanks man!

Zero Miles from Myself
    I live no where near an LBS. Any idea where to buy the Alpine Link from an online vendor? Or from the maker?

mtbr "member"

Got My Link!!!

Just put the Alpine link on my bike and took it for a quick 6 mile test ride. Took less than 5 minutes to install and it's a nice gold color.

The bike does feel a bit less twitchy and the slight drop in BB height kinda makes the bike feel a bit more stable. Can't say it's a "night and day" difference but the difference is there. I'll need a bit more ride time and a better trail to really test it out. But so far, seems promising.

Still can't seem to get over the fact that the "alpine link" should have been the standard link that comes on the frame not an after market added expense. But of course the bike was probably intended to be more for XC riding than anything else more aggressive.

REEK

it's....
    Quote Originally Posted by Reek
    Just put the Alpine link on my bike and took it for a quick 6 mile test ride. Took less than 5 minutes to install and it's a nice gold color.

The bike does feel a bit less twitchy and the slight drop in BB height kinda makes the bike feel a bit more stable. Can't say it's a "night and day" difference but the difference is there. I'll need a bit more ride time and a better trail to really test it out. But so far, seems promising.

Still can't seem to get over the fact that the "alpine link" should have been the standard link that comes on the frame not an after market added expense. But of course the bike was probably intended to be more for XC riding than anything else more aggressive.

REEK
    Have you had time to test it any further?
    Would you recommend it?

mtbr "member"

OK here goes

I finally got a good ride in yesterday - played a bit of hooky from work...

DEFINITELY feels more stable going down, with less of that nervous twitchiness that was there before. Not sure if thats the slacker steerer angle or the drop in BB height. It's not an extreme difference from stock but you can definitely tell. Cornering felt a bit better/more planted as well weaving through trees on single track.

As for climbing, I now can get a "gentle" lift off of the front wheel while cranking up the steep hills, the way a nice trail bike should. Not falling over backwards but I can climb up with the front wheel on the ground or just a little lift will bring the front off the ground without much effort. Nice balance.

Plus it's a nice gold anodized color.

So is it worth $80? If you feel the front end feels too nervous and you're about to sell your bike, this will definitely help. It should be the link that comes on the bike in stock form as it make it a better trail bike. If you like the quick steering of the stock setup, then don't get it. Yes, I am expert at stating the obvious. So in MTBR speak, 5 chilis on doing what it was meant to do, 4 Chilis for value.

Now the question is, if it doesn't void any warrantees, what woud a 140 or 150 mm fork on the front do to the bike without the alpine link? Would it matter that there's no drop in BB height?

Graphic Violence
    Thanks Reek very informative!

Zero Miles from Myself
    Thanks Reek. After riding today I am wondering if I should get one. Every thing you discribed seemed to be a fix for what I experienced.

It's not that anything was bad, but that nervous twitchiness is slightly noticable. All the while you are thinking in the back of your head .... "there is a subtile fix for this". I have some different bars ordered that are not so straight and with a little more rise and sweep. IMO this will help some, but if it is not the full "fix" I am looking for I may have to give a go at the Link too.

it's....
    Maybe because i'm running Pike 140mm forks but I don't really notice any twitchness.
    but the idea of lowering the BB a little sounds good.

Zero Miles from Myself
    yes i would think the longer fork is the key there. i have that on the fly adjustable Manitou Black Patinum that goes from 90-120 i was thinking early today about playing with those 2 extremes on the same trail sections the next time out. to see if i can tell a diff

mtbr member

alpine link is great

i had the original link and a minute 120mm fork, switched to the alpine link and a nixon 145mm and have been SUPER pleased with the bike. Next up is the new Evolver ISX-6 i have sitting here, just need the correct spacers to fit it up!

Zero Miles from Myself
    Got my Alpiine Link a few weeks ago and got it installed. Very happy with the results. As has been noted, the difference is subtle, but just enough to tame the bike more to my liking.

Installation Question: I noticed when installing that the box instructions said you should pack the bearing points full of grease before installing. I used the Blue Parks Grease. Is that a problem, or is there some other grease I should have used? Today riding in the rain I picked up a sqeak and a creek. Never really got to the source, but the link is the newest thing, so would be the first suspect.

Mike

Graphic Violence
    Humm, I donít think the grease would be the issue, however torque on the bolts could be.
    If that does not stop the noise I would check everything that is connected together with a bolt. When my bike needs adjusting I go through all my bolts and tighten up everything etc.

~J

mtbr "member"

yeah definitely worth it

Now that I've spent more time with my marin and the alpine link, I'm loving it more and more. glad to hear others are as happy.

REEK

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast