mtbr member
    Aug 2010

'98 Marin Mt. Vision Pro recomissioning project

Hello,

I recently purchased a Marin Mt. Vision Pro off of Craigslist, as the Mt Vision Pro line seems to be a pretty decent bike platform, and because it seemed like a pretty good deal for a bike in pretty good condition.

What I didn't know, was that despite the shiny, well-maintained appearance the bike had, when I took it home, the many years of lack of advanced maintenance started to show. It all looks serviceable, though there is no doubt going to be at least some money involved at some point. Rather than keep to myself about the progress, I thought I'd share it here and possibly help someone, and/or get helpful feedback, you pick.

As far as I know, the bike is completely stock, except for the fork, which is a White Brothers SC90. Link to specs: http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...R.S.&Type=bike

Current Condition:

Overall, the frame, triangle, and handlebars seem to be in good condition, with some aesthetic wear. The derailleurs seem to still be working, but the guide pulleys (whatever they're called) have significant damage from the apparent use of plastic-corroding lubricant. Whether they'll work for long or not remains to be seen. The chain seems to be in need of cleaning and/or re-lubrication, as it is sticky from either a waxy lubricant, or the residue from a bad lubrication or dissolved plastic from the rear derailleur pulleys. The front and rear chain rings look in ok condition, but may need to be replaced soon. The shifters & brakes levers seem to be in fine condition. The actual brakes don't have a lot of wear on them, but have slight rust on them, and will probably need cleaning and greasing at the pivots. I don't know for sure yet, but it looks like some of the bearings may need re-packing. Hubs, tubes, and tires are relatively true and in good shape. So far, I've opened the rear, then the front shock up for servicing.

Rear shock - Fox Alps 5r:
    Looks like it hasn't been opened in 12+ years, as the oil was jet black, and in the air cylinder. With the help of some other forum members, it looks like it can be brought back to good, working condition though. Take a look at the shock forum for more info.

Front fork & shock - White Brothers SC90:
    This is what I'm currently working on. I opened it up because it was stiff, dirty, and didn't seem quite right. Once inside, I started to clean the filthy, gray grease out, and will continue to do so next chance I get. Everything looks intact, though with a good bit of wear showing through. What really worries me is the cartridge, which feels sticky and slushy when moving the cylinder through it. Perhaps there's a way to service it, but it doesn't look designed to re-open, and it appears to be held together by a sort of lock-ring, which is seated inside the cylinder, meaning it will require some determination to open, if it's even possible. I'll try to put the fork back together and see how it feels before I go breaking it more (if it is broken).

Pictures may come soon...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    A bit of an update...

For the shock, I've finished cleaning it, and went to re-assemble it, but the left (cartridge side) inner bushing on the leg set must have either become dislodged and crooked before, or while I was cleaning the shock, because when I went to put the legs back in, it jammed up at that point. I was able to (probably foolish) force the shock in-as my attempts to re-align the bushing failed. The shock seems to work as-is, but is a bit stiff, and I'm afraid the anodization will wear off too quickly, so I may try to re-align the bushing again, or sand the bushing down a bit, which ever seems more fruitful. The seals and foam rings could probably use replacing, but for now, I'll see how things look with me simply trying to keep things clean up front, then checking it after my next ride.

I also opened up the front brake, and will be cleaning it as well. It's squeaky and dirty inside and out, so I'll probably have to clean the rear brake as well.

8-26:

I've bought some oil and grease to re-grease the bearings, and oil up the shock(s), but still am hoping to order some slickoleum for the fork.

I've also finished cleaning the front left brake, and now that it's re-assembled, it feels beautiful. 3 more to go, then comes the fine-tuning and use of thread lock.
    Last edited by The Soleutator; 08-27-2010 at 12:16 AM.