Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Ride da mOOn Moderator

flow where ever you go
    Smart looking bikes.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    A Marin rep emailed me that this bike is available now. I can not find it anywhere in the Northeast. I would like to purchase this bike "Pine Mountain 1" but am torn between a 15" and 17" .. Im 5'8" and tend to be shorter in the leg region 30" inseam. I do not want to do a blind purchase. Any suggestions?

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    ask the rep...

mtbr member

2016 Pine Mountain 1 Availability

Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    ask the rep...
    In the Northeast, Marin dealers seem to be few and far between. I called 3 different EMS stores today (2 in NY and 1 in CT) and none would be able to order the Pine Mountain 1 for me. Found a dealer in Manhattan who reached out to Marin and reported that the bike is "SOLD OUT"!!! Marin apparently expects new supplies to come in in 3-4 weeks, so I'll need to follow up towards the end of October.

The big question for me is, assuming a bunch of Pine Mountain 1 bikes have indeed been sold, why is it I have yet to find a single review of the bike anywhere on the Internet or on YouTube?!?

Cheers,
    J.

mtbr member
    We need updates on the PM1

I am wanting to know about rear clearance

mtbr member
    Also - can anyone verify or dispel whether the fork on the release version has a cross brace?

2016 Marin Pine Mountain-1443706034210-pbjxvrulb16t-1890-80.jpg

mtbr member
    After riding a full fatty (Fatback Corvus) I'm stoked on the 27+ idea. That and the PM2 is dead sexy. I'd love to hear some feedback if anyone gets a leg over one of these.
    Overland : Hayduke : Hightower : Delirium : Piolet

mtbr member
    It looks like the PM2 is a virtual bike only and doesn't really exist...

NO-ONE has posted anything anywhere on this bike

(I love the B+ thing too)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bonesetter2004 View Post
    It looks like the PM2 is a virtual bike only and doesn't really exist...
    Well, it's listed as a 2016 bike so I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't appear till Spring. Not sure how Marin is with their production; some companies don't do a reveal till they have stock in hand, others do a reveal then bikes don't appear for several months.

dying hurts.
    Also - can anyone verify or dispel whether the fork on the release version has a cross brace?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1443706034210-pbjxvrulb16t-1890-80.jpg 
Views:	2011 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	1022029
    from bikerumor....
    "Expect to see an additional brace across the top of the fork for production as well as side mounts on the legs however."

mtbr member
    Glad I did not wait... I've been able to enjoy my new Ice Cream Truck Ops for some weeks already. I'd still be threading water on the forums had I decided to wait for Marin to get its act together.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Any update on these? I don't even know how to buy one, their website won't tell me.

mtbr member
    It would put me off seeing PM's total lack of input anywhere for this bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Junglejay View Post
    Glad I did not wait... I've been able to enjoy my new Ice Cream Truck Ops for some weeks already. I'd still be threading water on the forums had I decided to wait for Marin to get its act together.
    That looks like a cool bike, but the price isn't even close. I can't afford that.

mtbr member
    Not sure whether there's still stock, but Surly has a sick sale going on - Get ‘em while they’re fat. | Blog | Surly Bikes

$1,199 for an ICT Ops is a great price for a fantastic machine! That's $651 less than the price I paid!!

mtbr member
    The Pugs at $899 is also a nice alternative to the PM if you don't want to wait...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    when people say wait....What are we waiting for? How long? I can't get an answer from any Marin reps. Basically getting "give me a deposit and I don't know when"

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GPcruiser View Post
    when people say wait....What are we waiting for? How long? I can't get an answer from any Marin reps. Basically getting "give me a deposit and I don't know when"
    The BikeSnob has been writing about it.

mtbr member
    Stopped in at the marin dealer yesterday. I was quoted 899 with availability in May.
    Xethur

mtbr member
    Good grief, that'll be Autumn then

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    F it, I already got a Stache 5. It's awesome.

mtbr member
    Don't wait. Get an Advocate Hayduke. Available and shipping now

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by c_mack9 View Post
    F it, I already got a Stache 5. It's awesome.
    The Stache 5 is easily the better bike I would have thought

(I have a Stache 5)

mtbr member
    I guess it depends on what your looking for. I want a steel rigid bike that fits my CK hubs. The Stache is alum, boost hub sized, and a few hundred more dollars. The Hayduke looks awesome, but it will cost me $1700 more then the Pine Mountain and about $1500 more then the Krampus I'm also looking at. Besides neither the Stache or the Hayduke have a big enough size. I think I can handle riding my decent fattie for a few months longer.
    Xethur

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I also wanted a steel rigid, but I gotta admit with the cushion provided by the tires the ride quality is exceptional and it doesn't weigh 30 pounds.

mtbr member
    Frame material makes zero difference as far as feel goes when you're running semi-fat

mtbr member
    Frame material makes zero difference as far as feel goes when you're running semi-fat
    After riding an alloy semi-fat and a Titanium semi-fat back to back I'll call BS on that one. I could definitely feel a difference.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sdemars View Post
    After riding an alloy semi-fat and a Titanium semi-fat back to back I'll call BS on that one. I could definitely feel a difference.
    What was your tire pressure like? I think you could probably tell a weight difference but I cant imagine being able to tell a difference in the frame material mellowing out vibrations. The Stache 5 has a carbon fork, so that helps with the feel too. Pedaling effeciency is great, I can't imagine the Pine Mountain in steel being better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by c_mack9 View Post
    What was your tire pressure like? I think you could probably tell a weight difference but I cant imagine being able to tell a difference in the frame material mellowing out vibrations. The Stache 5 has a carbon fork, so that helps with the feel too. Pedaling effeciency is great, I can't imagine the Pine Mountain in steel being better.
    Stache was the alloy frame. Tire pressure was measured using a low pressure gauge and set at 13psi for both. Stache was 29+, the Ti was actually a 27+ so theoretically the smaller diameter and the lower volume should have been a bit more harsh. Theory didn't work out this way. The Ti frame was more compliant. FWIW - I was also riding the exact same trails.

I've only ridden one fat bike (Fatback Corvus) but I've heard similar things from folks comparing different fat frames.

I have no idea how the Marin rides, but I think it will likely also be a little different between the two models as they use different steel.

mtbr member
    I agree with sdemars. There is a difference, just like there is a difference between a carbon fs and an alum fs. The stache is a great bike, but it's just not what I'm looking for. I eyeball them every time I go into my favorite LBS. I'll wait for the marin. Well unless I find a good deal on a Surly Krampus frame. Besides I really don't fit on a bike any smaller then 22".
    Xethur

mtbr member
    edit
    Last edited by go-pirates; 02-14-2016 at 05:33 AM.
    "Caught my first tube this morning....sir!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Finally Got One.

2016 Marin Pine Mountain-pine1.jpg

Hell Track
    nice,
    first impression?

mtbr member
    Blimey - The Truth is finally Out There

How did you get your hands on that?

Are these bikes 'out' ??

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A majority of my riding is Sonoran Desert and I have fully ridged Monocog 29” and a Tallboy to compare it to. I have (2) ride so far and a couple of thoughts:
    • The Pine1 has ruined my other rides for off camber cornering.
    • Not too heavy to throw around, manual or hop.
    • Climbs extremely well.
    • Mutes the very small trail chatter better than the Tallboy.
    • Like a 29er, knowing when to maintain your momentum is key but more so with the Pine1
    • Takes a little more effort to get the rotating weight going.
    • Seems to scrub speed faster while coasting then the other rides.. More rolling resistance?
    • Mechanically good but a couple of ghost shift between 2-3 and intermittent front brake drag.
    • Personally I need to change to a chunkier grip like the ODI Ruffian.
    • Very fun ride.

I was able to get this one by luck. I have been calling all the local shop and they took my name. I believe the mediums hit about 2 weeks prior but I was looking for a large. Bike came in on 2/25.

mtbr member
    Thanks SC99. That sounds like what I expected. I just picked up my new wheel set for this bike. WTB Asym i35 laced to my old Chris King hubs wrapped in Surly dirt wizards. Hopefully the XXLs will hit the east coast soon.
    Xethur

mtbr member
    At the moment I am stuck between this bike or a Krampus....your thoughts.

I already have a sweet Surly Ogre and really like Surly....but this Marin bike is cool!

mtbr member
    I would check the weight of it first

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Afun View Post
    At the moment I am stuck between this bike or a Krampus....your thoughts.

I already have a sweet Surly Ogre and really like Surly....but this Marin bike is cool!
    I looked at the Krampus as well. I choose the Pine Mountain because Surly didn't have a date for the arrvial of the 2016 frameset and the 2015 is all sold out in my size.
    Last edited by Xethur; 03-23-2016 at 06:47 PM.
    Xethur

mtbr member
    The Krampus is a pretty cool bike. I'm just seeing a bit more value for the price on the Pine Mountain. The Schwalbe tires are tubeless ready and so are the wheels. On the Krampus you have to do some Gorilla tape method to trap the air on the Rabbit Hole rim to secure that fat Surly Knard. Also, the Pine Mountain has Hydraulic Brakes....but the biggest thing I am excited about is that extra low gear with a 42 tooth cassette. I read a review that the bike climbs excellent.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've been having issues with the 11-42 10sp set up. The rear X7 derailleur B Screen keeps working its way around the screw stop. Thus, no tension and the top derailleur cog will drag on gears 1 and 2, plus the chain will make contact with the tire. I've looked, tweaked and adjusted. I was not able to resolve the issue. Took the bike to the shop and they too could not get it to work. In addition, they have another Pine 1 that is have the same issue. Not sure what is wrong. By no means am I a bike mech but in my option, it looks like I keep jarring the B screen off its seat. I have not hit the X7 on anything but maybe the repeated jarring along with the fact that it does not typically reach to accommodate a 42T cog has created my issues. The shop is being very cool. Now we are changing out to the XT M8000 to fix it.

mtbr member
    This is bad news about the gearing. I don't know much about Marin. All I know is every time I see one of their bikes, I stop and admire it. This is a quality assurance issue. Maybe it's just the first few bikes like this.
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Has anyone tried to install a suspension fork on a Pine Mountain 1? I just picked up one for my wife as a bikepacking rig & know from experience on my Krampus that a little squish is nice on the trails I frequent. According to Marin it is suspension corrected for a 100mm travel fork. I measured the axle to the bottom of the headtube at around 500mm, so I'm sure a 120mm fork with sag should work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere (I looked) but has anyone tried squeezing a 29er wheel in the back?

Would be nice to flick back and forth should I feel the need.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Eyeballing the Marin next to my Monocog 29" w/ Conti 2.2, and the 29" looks no taller. I'm confident that it will fit, but have not tried it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dubiousdesigns View Post
    Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere (I looked) but has anyone tried squeezing a 29er wheel in the back?

Would be nice to flick back and forth should I feel the need.
    I just tried a 29er front wheel which fit with plenty of room to spare under the arch. Will try the rear wheel when I have time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mbanzi View Post
    I just tried a 29er front wheel which fit with plenty of room to spare under the arch. Will try the rear wheel when I have time.
    Awesome. Thank you! That was going to be my next question.

This looks like the PERFECT bike for playing silly buggers at the weekend then hooking up the kids-seat/bike-trailer/everything-else for playing with the kids.

mtbr member
    Any update on PM1?
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

mtbr member
    Got my XXL in today on the east coast. With tax it ran $970. I think they are shipping preorders as they are able to. Will post pictures and thoughts tomorrow.
    Xethur

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast