Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

2013 Marin Rift Zone questions.

I just won an XC7 on ebay and had a few questions for those who have one. There really isn't anything on the boards that I can find.

1. Has anyone tried a 120mm fork on one and if so what are your thoughts. I know it will slow down the steering a bit.

2. Just how bad is the wheelset? I am going out on a limb and guessing that the Marin branded hubs are made by Formula. How is the engagement? Has anyone setup theirs tubeless with the Alex SX44s? THese will eventually be upgraded to Stan's rims.

3. What is the maximum rear tire clearance? Can I run a 2.25 Ardent? Larger?

4. Does anyone have any setup suggestions?

I do plan on changing the Elixir 5s to Shimano brakes, either SLX or XT.

I am sure I will have more.

Will post pictures after I receive it.
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    So does anyone have one? I built it up today but it is to wet to get out on the trails. I will get pictures posted when we get some sunshine around here again. I am guessing sometime in March at this point. I have ordered a set of XT brakes to replace the Avids and an 2.4 Ardent for the front since the 2.2 Conti X-King looks tiny in the Reba.
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    2013 Marin Rift Zone questions.-photo-1-.jpg2013 Marin Rift Zone questions.-photo.jpg

As promised here are the pictures of the bike. I have to swap out the brakes to the new XT as well as replacing the anemic 2.2 X-King with a 2.4 Ardent up front.

I will remove the dork disc when i change the brakes.

I have not had it out for a ride on dirt yet as I want to get the new brakes on first. I am also working on the rear shock setup as this is my first FS bike.
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Nice bike!

1. A 120 fork should be fine for that bike. Most likely 1Deg of change with the HTA. Could be less depending on the fork, Axle to crown, sag, etc. here is a calculator if you need it.
    geometryCalc

2. I did a quick search on the wheelset and it seems ok. Their claimed weight for the rim is 530g. Stans Crest are 380g, just as a comparison. Your wheels are probably pretty heavy, but chances are they are strong as well. Ride them and look for deals.

3. No idea. Not all tires are measured the same.

4. I like shimano brakes.

What rear shock do you have? Looks like an RP23 but not sure. Get it setup correctly and you probably wont use propedal ever with the quad link rear suspension.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thank you moefosho. Between work and the weather continuing to be wet here in Chicago I have not had a chance to get it out on the trails. I did get the XT brakes and Ardent mounted yesterday. Not tubeless yet though.

The rear shock is a Fox Float with CTD. I played with the air pressure and have it set with the recommended amount of sag. It is much different feeling than before and does not bob when I pedal. I have the CTD set on trail and will see how it works when I hit my local trails.

I am also still debating on going to a 120 fork or not.
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Just ran across this thread. I just won one on eBay too, got a great deal on it. Can't wait to get it together and start riding it. Going to be a nice upgrade from my old 90's era schwinn steel hardtail that has served me great all these years. This will be my first FS bike, Curious to know your opinion on the bike now that you've had it for a while.

mtbr member
    I am looking at this same thing for wife, posted her a few hours ago asking about it. Wish it had a bit more top tube curve for her standover. Otherwise looks solid.
    curious they put 3x crank when a lot of folks like 2x or 1x these days, and not sure about the rockshock rear shock on the xc6.

mtbr member
    Many of us prefer triple chainrings. A lot depends on where and how you ride.

That extra chainring will allow for a wider gear range. It will give you some sweet lower gears not available on a 2x set up for hard technical climbs, and will also allow for some higher gears for speed when you find yourself on longish wide open descents.

I'm looking for another bike myself at the moment, and a triple front chainring is a "must have" for me.

If your wife is just starting out and uncomfortable with shifting (mine was), I would suggest she keep it in the front middle chainring (the one operated by the left hand shifter), and just shift the rear cogs till she gets more comfortable with it. The triple on my wife's bike (which she only rode on paved bike trails), was unnecessary and proved to be a negative and was intimidating, as she would often run opposite extremes in front/rear cog combinations.

mtbr member
    I agree on triples, I guess I'm more old school. I took my bike to Moab back in 2000 and although I did train before the trip, they have some grinding hills out there and some wicked steep climbs with good traction where most people need a granny. doing some road stuff in some areas between trails will make you glad you have a big ring. But, for dedicated trail bike with those less difficult "flow" sort of trails folks are tending towards these days, I do find I'm typically in a middle ring the whole time, so I get the idea.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by XCScott View Post
    Just ran across this thread. I just won one on eBay too, got a great deal on it. Can't wait to get it together and start riding it. Going to be a nice upgrade from my old 90's era schwinn steel hardtail that has served me great all these years. This will be my first FS bike, Curious to know your opinion on the bike now that you've had it for a while.
    Just got back to internet access. I really like it so far. I have not had it out much as there is snow here and other toys are being used. I am glad I put the Ardent up front as I do not think the Conti X-King had enough front traction for me. All in all a great bike for the money and still way under the $2k mark even with the upgrades. About the only other thing I will do is get a new wheelset. Both of my other bikes have I9s and it is hard to ride anything else when it comes to engagement.
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Sounds good. I got the XC6 for my wife, was thinking of getting stans wheels if she gets into it, would you sell those old wheels, they supposedly will go tubeless where the x6 version supposedly won't.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    It will probably be sometime before I upgrade the wheels at this point. If something happens where I do so earlier I will see if you are still interested. I look forward to hearing her impressions on the bike.
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    So a little bit of an update. I now have some miles on my home trails. I am still fiddling with the rear shock to get it just right. I have to get used to sitting and spinning instead of standing and mashing like I am used to on my hardtail. This bike rips through some of the rougher sections of trails that I normally ride a little slower and get beat up on. My back also feels better after the rides. The wheels are not as bad as I feared but nowhere near the I9 hubs I have on my other bikes.

I am still debating about going to a double up front as I have yet to use my large ring.

If you are looking for a full suspension bike the deals on these are great. Buy one, it is worth it.
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    I have been very impressed with the SX44 wheelset on my MV. They are wide(20mm-
    27mm), strong, and not ridiculously heavy. You can probably run 2.4 tires without issue. Great, cheap, all mountain wheelset.

I have picked up a new Rhythm Elite wheelset which is wider, lighter, has DT hubs, and easier to set up tubeless.

mtbr member
    Wife has only managed a few rides so far but like it. Its (XC6) does seem heavy I'm not totally sure w/o tear down where all the weight is, but I'm guessing BB/Crank/Chainrings and wheels. I will check out those Rhythm Elite wheels. I was thinking of stans like I have on my bike and they are really light. I did swap the fork for a Tower Pro which shaved about 3/4 lb and runs sweet. I sold the Recon Silver for $220 so cost about $140 net to upgrade more or less.

We also have had trouble finding exact setup for rear shock, its either too firm or too soft, but have it pretty close now. Just have to log the pressures as I can't recall what I did last time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Got mine (CX8) about 3 weeks ago. I've upgraded the handle bar (carbon 740mm) seat post (carbon), disk breaks (203mm front/180mm back) saddle, 50mm stem and a few other things on the way.

Love this thing man...

Above a video I made with a buddy of mine last Saturday here in Florida!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I've put quite a few miles on mine as well been to Santos, Alafia, and Carter road several times. I'm absolutely in love with it!! I sit more upright than my 26 which is way more comfortable for all day trail riding. My body especially my back doesnt hurt after a ride, and this bike rolls over everything so much easier than my 26er. I'm starting to get used to sitting and spinning too.

Only bad thing is after my constant raving about how great 29er full suspension was I ended up having to get one for the wife. Found a sweet dea (not as sweet a deal as the Marin, but still good) on a 2013 closeout 29 Scott Contessa Spark for her, its a really nice bike with good specs and the remote twin lockout.

I can confirm that the SX44 wheelset will go to tubeless no problems. ive never done a tubeless upgrade but it was easy peasy, I got the kit from Amazon (make sure you get the all-mountain kit.) Love the tubeless upgrade I can feel the lightness especially up front. So far tubeless is my only upgrade, but I want to do a shorter stem and carbon riser bars soon.

I have also been tinkering with the air pressure in mine and finally got smart and wrote down the front and rear air pressure on the inside lid of my tool box with a sharpie. Bottom line great bike at a great price, and worth every penny!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    2013 Marin Rift Zone questions.-20140422_182320.jpg2013 Marin Rift Zone questions.-20140422_182214.jpg2013 Marin Rift Zone questions.-20140422_182148.jpg

Btw,

It took me quite of bit of research but I was able to accomplished a disk break upgrade on my XC8.

203mm in the front and 180mm in the back. Perfect fit and amazingly well!

Images attached.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    The 203 and 180 seem a bit overkill for an XC bike. They do look badass though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    The 203 and 180 seem a bit overkill for an XC bike. They do look badass though.
    Yeap! It is and it DOES!!

mtbr member
    Wondering - riding wife's is first 29r experience, seems really hard to wheelie, you have to put a lot of English on it to get the front end up. Hers is 17" and the cockpit seems low between axles so I think its just part of a 29r design.

mtbr member
    Not to hijack the thread but how was buying the bike online? It sounds like there is minimal work to complete the build.

mtbr member
    If you are comfortable taking your bike's major parts off and reassembling, you can do it. The fork and handlebars, seat post, are the major bits as I recall. The drivetrain is all good out of the box typically.

mtbr member
    Yeah I don't have an issue with that type of work and since they are all new I would imagine it should match up nice.
    I don't have a Marin dealer around that has any 29rs but I did sit on a 26 and a 17" felt best. You mentioned your wife had a 17". Any idea if the 29rs run smaller to make up for the wheel size?

mtbr member
    IDK about small, but the Marin Rift Zone 29r is pretty short on the top tube size which makes it feel smaller and you sit more upright. Which works great for my wife who is short through midsection but long legs. The stems are short and the geometry makes it seem very nimble - although the first 29r I've ridden - it does seems to be good for tighter trails. If you wanted to go super fast you might want a slacker head angle. This is a XC bike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast