mtbr member
    Dec 2010

2011 Palisades cranks

Just registered, so please bare with me if I am reposting something asked before, did search though beforehand.

Have a Marin 2011 Palisades Trail 17" (UK) with the Truvativ FIVE D cranks and Truvativ bottom bracket. Not too impressed, the crank is noisy, shifting is not very smooth and in general want to change it.

Would a Deore Hollowtech set (chainset and BB set) be a good swap and would it fit ?

Anyone know if my BB is square or splined ? What tools would I need to replace it, a crank puller and a BB remover ?

Excuse my lack of knowledge, thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I've never had any experience with the Truvativ crankset mentioned so not sure how it compares to the Deore. My assumption is that the bike shop has tried adjusting it, but its still noisy.

Strange I don't see the crank on SRAM's site either, must be an OEM crankset made specially for Marin. According to the UK specs (http://www.marin.co.uk/2011/bikepage.php?ModNo=11PT) the BB is a cartridge type which means you'll need a tool similar to the Park BBT-22/BBT-32 (http://www.parktool.com/category/bottom-bracket) but not sure which one. I've got an older Truvatve square taper cartridge BB and I use the BBT-32 to remove it.

Removing the cranks is easy, just usually need a set of allen wrenches if the cranks screw into the BB's square/splined spindle I've only used a crank puller on an older bike ~15 year which did not have screws holding the cranks to the BB spindle.

mtbr member
    yeah -- some of the bikes that Marin throws out there are built with so-so cranks... those are one of them. any of the outboard bearing Shimano cranks are better than what's on the stock build kit. that's just one of the things you get when you're buying a bike at that price point. no doubt something you'll want to upgrade.

&

yeah -- no reason that crankset/shifters should be shifting bad, must be the people/person who set up the bike. even the super cheap crap will shift OK if it's set up correctly.
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for the replies.

I am experiencing Chain Suck also, and also wondering how Marin justify 900 UKP for this bike with the spec it has.

They seem to have used the FiveD on some Specialized bikes too so its not a solely a Marin item.

So how would I go about knowing what parts I can fit in the frame, would I have to remove the lot including the BB then measure it ? I can't just buy a crank and BB and get someone to fit it can I ? As it might not fit ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Generally if the bicycle frame's bottom bracket is 68/73 mm then it will fit without any issues. The Shimano docs (see Front Crankets) has installation instructions explaining how the 68/73mm is measured and how many spacers (inlcuded with crankset) should be used for each of the installs.

Here is a great thread with pics on measuring BB width:
    How do I measure Bottom Bracket Width?

Shimano Tech Docs
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs...&bmUID=iQhI2DL

It might be better to take the bike into the bike shop and have them perform the upgrade so that you are not on the hook if the wrong parts were ordered.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks again, Would the Deore chainset with hollowtech be a good 'upgrade' ? The rest of the bike is SLX and Deore front mech. Already changed the front shifters to SLX.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I've never had any experience with Deore, but it should be fine since its Shimano's mid level crankset. May want to check the drivetrain forum since there is not much traffic in this forum. I do have a SLX crankset and Deore XT on my bikes and can't tell the difference. Both shift smoothly.

mtbr member
    deore, SLX, LX, XT, it's all really close to the same stuff. they just market it all differently...
    cosmetically they're slightly different, slight weight difference... even XTR is very close -- they just polish it up nicer, use harder alloys for the chainrings. as far as function, they all help shift just as well as one another. anyone tell you differently, they're smokin' crack.
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for all the input, I aimed to pick up the Deore Dual, but for a bit more cash (not much more) and the fact the Deore double wasn't in stock I went for the SLX. Bit lighter and also they had the 36, 22 in stock with the bash guard. I can now ride in without shredding my trousers as I don't want to be wearing cycling gear every time I hop on the bike to go down the shops.

The existing bottom bracket was a Truvativ, 'Square LE', on the side is some warning about not using it for anything but trail riding, warning against using it for Freeriding or Downhill !

Piccie for those interested, apolologise for the quality, taken with friends phone.