DTL
    mtbr member

2011 Nail Trail 29er Input

Looking for input from anyone who has ridden the 2011 Nail Trail 29er. I'm looking at it as a 2nd 29er (first being a FS). Does anyone know if the frame is designed to give a little rear vertical flex? I'm comparing it to a 2011 Scott Scale 29er Elite. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    looking on the Marin site I don't think they have changes the rear triangle from past years so..
    that said I have a 2010 Nail Trail 29 and there is very little if any vertical flex, it does have some lateral but overall it is quite stiff. The angular tubing is designed to offer stiffness and I believe flex in the right spots from what I remember.
    The best things in life are not things.

DTL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sherwin24
    looking on the Marin site I don't think they have changes the rear triangle from past years so..
    that said I have a 2010 Nail Trail 29 and there is very little if any vertical flex, it does have some lateral but overall it is quite stiff. The angular tubing is designed to offer stiffness and I believe flex in the right spots from what I remember.
    So how does it feel on the trail? Does it beat you up pretty bad like I remember hardtail 26ers to do?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I run my tire pressure around 23 psi and there is some good cush there, On sharp rocks and roots I wouldn't want to be sitting, but it definitely is much better than a 26" HT.

The ride itself is very predictable, handles twisty stuff real well and climbs excellent once you get it dialed in. I tend to mash rather than spin but it seems to not mind either way, it puts the power down and goes. I was actually really impressed with how it descends, very stable and it just sticks in corners. I am just under 6' and went with the 20.5" It allowed me to get the seat in position and run a 80mm 0deg. stem which helped get my weight on the rear without getting the front up on climbs and seemed to give the steering a better feel overall.

I have put a lot of miles on it and still smile when I ride it at how well rounded of a bike it is, the harder you push it the more it feels at home.

DTL
    mtbr member
    Thanks! Sounds like it would be worth a test ride to see.

DTL
    mtbr member
    I noticed it has a 71.5 degree head angle. Does it feel twitchy at all with the steeper head angle?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Sorry for getting back to you late on this. No it does not feel twitchy, I think the 685mm bars maybe help that a bit. I went with an 80mm stem (100mm is stock) and it helped on the tight stuff without getting twitchy at all, I would best describe it as balanced, it just is fun to ride.

mtbr member
    Greetings,
    I guess this thread is not active anymore. I just happened to find it, so I'll write my thoughts/experience. I got the Marin Nail Trail 29er 2011 on a 30% off in 12/2011. I chose it forst of all because I loved the design. The tube shapes and midnight black color, it was the best looking bike for me at that time. Also price/value was really good.
    I read the review on bikeradar.com, where it got quite a bad score : Marin Nail Trail 29er - BikeRadar
    I did not trust that review, I thought that it is subjective, but after riding my Marin Nail Trail 29er 2011 for a few months I found out that it is totally true and I ended up to be really disappointed. As they wrote "Smooth and reasonably well equipped, but low belly and nervous, scrawny front end handicap the handling" and "Good kit selection but frame flex means an awkward feeling ride". I totally agree. It is a good kit sellection, the components are good (SLX/XT what can be bad about it), but the frame is horrible. It really lacks stiffeness and head angle is terrible. While pedaling I felt that some of my energy was getting lost in the frame flex and the handling really is awkward. While riding when you steer into one direction, it tilts to the other direction + the steep fork angle, the bike is really unstable. 71.5 degree head angle, yes it does feel twitchy (at least to me). When going fast down hill in terrain, I was even afraid and could not enjoy the ride. This bike gives no confidence.
    What I loved about it are the wheels. Sunringle Black Flag Expert are fantastic. They are lite and have the Sunringle Dirty Flea hubs with premium high quality japanese bearings. They simply roll fantastic. Climbing and cruising on that bike was a joy. But that is not a thing of Marin, but their kit sellection.
    The Nail Trail 29er 2012 should be significantly better. Marin reworked the frame design, improved the head angle and head set, so it should be more stable. For the 2013 model they added taper stearer which is good, but really downgraded the wheels, where the bike greatly looses value - big mistake, Marin.
    I was lucky to have sold the bike for not to much less than what I bought it for. Then Got the TREK Superfly AL 2012. Value wise it is worse, but I love that bike. Fast, stable and fantastic handling. Gary Fisher sure knows how and their G2 geometry really works. I wish I could have the Sunringle Black Flag Expert wheels on it
    my final words, before you decide which bike to buy, read official reviews, not just user reviews and trust them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 Nail Trail 29er Input-img_4532.jpg  

2011 Nail Trail 29er Input-img_2959.jpg