mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Smile 2010 MV 5.8 Headset?

Hi,
    Just bought my first Marin a Brand New unridden warranty replacement 2010 MV 5.8 frame of ebay. Got a set of new 2010 Talas 140 15QR to go with it but I have a few questions.

1. Never purchased/fitted an internal/integrated headset before. Any suggestions on what one to buy and how to fit? Is it exactly the same as standard headsets just press the cups inside instead of outside. Do you have cups on an internal/integrated headset?

2. My Patriot had Float 36's with a 20mm thru axle. The wheel I have is a 20mm Marin hub on a WTB dual duty rim. I will probably get some new wheels when money is spare however for now does anybody know if these Marin hubs can be converted to 15mm like the Hope Pro 2's can, or am I going to have to buy a new wheel now
    Any advice welcome.
    Kev

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by submariner
    Hi,
    Just bought my first Marin a Brand New unridden warranty replacement 2010 MV 5.8 frame of ebay. Got a set of new 2010 Talas 140 15QR to go with it but I have a few questions.

1. Never purchased/fitted an internal/integrated headset before. Any suggestions on what one to buy and how to fit? Is it exactly the same as standard headsets just press the cups inside instead of outside. Do you have cups on an internal/integrated headset?

2. My Patriot had Float 36's with a 20mm thru axle. The wheel I have is a 20mm Marin hub on a WTB dual duty rim. I will probably get some new wheels when money is spare however for now does anybody know if these Marin hubs can be converted to 15mm like the Hope Pro 2's can, or am I going to have to buy a new wheel now
    Any advice welcome.
    Kev

spec headset - Orbit Z 1 1/8 36/45 Angular Contact Bearings, Deep Cup Integrated Threadless to fit the CC System

that looks like this: https://www.bti-usa.com/public/categ...SHS/FS/?page=2

they are pressed into the frame like a traditional headset but -- you can't use a traditional headset on that frame.

.... not too many hubs out there can be converted from one axle to another... Shimano hubs right? if so ... no, you can't convert
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks for the advice, I was looking at the Orbit Z as I believe this was on OEM bike I just wasn't sure on the CC bit.

The front hub I have is a Marin branded hub which is 20mm, just wondered if anyone on the Marin forum knew if these could be converted.
    Regards,
    Kev

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Can you get close up pics?
    Maybe easier to get help identifying the hub.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Yeah, no hub info..

I'll add that 650b wheel build was a nice improvement to my '10 MV. Better up and down, thru. holes and rocks, trials drops and no tuck in fast turns. Rolls like a 29'r too.