mtbr member
    Jul 2009

2010 Mount Vision Sizing

Whats happening everyone, I just snagged what I believe to be a killer deal on a Mount Vision 5.9 frame. However as with every bike I have ever purchased I begin sweating whether I got the right size!

I ride twisty fast XC 3-4 days out of the week and hit some more gnarly trails where 150mm trail bikes really shine about 1 day a week. With this in mind I'm planning on throwing a 140mm fork on it, if anyone has any feedback on 140 vs 120mm fork I'd be happy to hear your thoughts.

I am 5'11 and jumped for a Large frame (18.5in) however I am worried it may be too big especially with a 140mm fork. However I don't mind running a shorter stem like 70mm to use a slightly wider bar.

Any feedback would be great!

Undercaffienated
    Quote Originally Posted by ehadzima View Post
    Whats happening everyone, I just snagged what I believe to be a killer deal on a Mount Vision 5.9 frame. However as with every bike I have ever purchased I begin sweating whether I got the right size!

I ride twisty fast XC 3-4 days out of the week and hit some more gnarly trails where 150mm trail bikes really shine about 1 day a week. With this in mind I'm planning on throwing a 140mm fork on it, if anyone has any feedback on 140 vs 120mm fork I'd be happy to hear your thoughts.

I am 5'11 and jumped for a Large frame (18.5in) however I am worried it may be too big especially with a 140mm fork. However I don't mind running a shorter stem like 70mm to use a slightly wider bar.

Any feedback would be great!
    I am 5'10 with long arms, have a medium 2009 Mount Vision that I currently run with a 150mm Rock Shox Revelation on trails similar to what you describe. Plenty of climbs to get to the fun stuff but nothing super steep. I love it. Stem length is 75mm with a 685 mm bar. Want to try wider bars with a 50mm stem and shorter spacer stack.

I previously had a 130mm fork on this frame and it was better for riding terrain with some very steep and technical climbs. Since the frame is designed for a 120mm fork (but burly enough to unofficially take bigger forks), the bike gets twitchy on the steeper stuff with the 150mm fork. The nice thing about the Revelation is that it could be dropped down to 130mm when I need to.

mtbr member
    I'm also 5'11 and am on a Lg, but depending on your leg length you could go either way. I've tried Med's in the past but found them too small for XC//trail riding where I wanted more length in the seatube and top tube to get the most out of pedaling efforts. An added benefit with running the Lg on gnarlier/steeper terrain is that you get the added stability of a longer front center(distance between front axle&BB) and still get to have a roomy riding compartment even when using a short stem.
    Biggest thing is if you're going to run the Large with a 140 fork is to try to run the stem on the shorter side of stack height, like 10mm of spacers or less. You'll get some agility back with that nice, low H-bar height for dicing through the trees but still have a stable/slack front end with the 140 fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hmorsi, Thanks for the reply I'm probably going to order a Revelation shortly once i find out how much it will cost. Your the second person I've seen using a 150mm fork on the mount vision. with that in mind you've really got me considering a new fox talas 150-120mm fork. : )

yours thoughts are appreciated!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I'm shorter than you (5'8") and I'm on a small. I'm just between small and medium I think but I like the smaller frame size for the type of riding I do. My favorite local terrain is rocky and technical with lots of short steep punchy climbs and descents. If I rode more fast xc I would want a med.

I run a Revelation dropped to 130mm but I'm going to raise it to 140mm next time I take it apart. I run a 60mm stem and 745mm bars. I might swap out the stem for a 70 or 75 and shorten the stack a bit to stretch the cockpit back out a teeny bit.

I would think you'd be in a similar situation with the large/medium decision. Since you went with the large I wouldn't be afraid to go with a real short stem (50 or 60) and real wide bars. It seems to be all the rage right now and for good reason i think. i like the change from the stock 90 stem 685 bars on the tech sections and don't find that it takes much away from the fast pedally sections.

EDIT: Also, consider a dropper post unless you ride big mountains where the climbs and descents are really long. I notice Hmorsi is rocking the same KS supernatural that I have. 500g weight penalty and they're expensive but being able to drop and raise the saddle to any height within the range is so worth it. I'll never have another trail bike without one.

My bike as currently set-up:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2010 Mount Vision Sizing-img_4672.jpg  

Last edited by birdman829; 07-20-2012 at 03:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm 5'9 and ride a medium mount vision pro 2008. It looks a big frame but once you're on the move it shrinks and feels perfect!! I think the originator made the right frame size choice!!

Gav

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk