mtbr member
    Jul 2010

2008 Mount Vision Pro-where do I start

I just bought a very lightly used blue '08 Mount Vision Pro which is my first full suspension bike. I come from a long time riding dirtbikes/motorcycles and road bikes but I have no idea where to start with the suspension settings on this Marin. My plan was to put everything back to factory setting and start from there, but I don't even know what those settings are.

I also plan to strip everything down and make sure that everything is lubed and torqued, but again I'm not sure what those numbers are. Also, I know I will need a shock pump-is there anything else?

I'm 6', 180 lbs and will be riding mostly in Sedona and Flagstaff, AZ. Any help on settings and/or teardown info would be very helpful. Can I talk with anyone at Marin about this?Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I've got a 2008 MV as well. In terms of suspension maintenance I change out the fork oil and dust wipers every season. For the rear shock the seals are changed 2 or 3 seasons because its pretty clean in there when I took it apart.

Fox's Consumer Maintenance Guide:
    http://service.foxracingshox.com/con...tent/index.htm

Marin's Sag guide:
    http://www.marin.co.uk/downloads/Sag_set-up_for_Marin_

For the rear I like to run it plush and usually set the air pressure to 10 to 15psi less than the recommended settings by Marin for my weight. Also the rebound knob is only a few clicks from the slowest setting.

Fox's site has info regarding the settings to use for the F-120. They suggest 3/4" to 1.25" of sag.

155-170lbs: 75psi
    170-185lbs: 85psi
    185-200lbs: 95psi

Marin's Service Guide for the rear suspension.
    http://www.marin.co.uk/downloads/Yea...e%20Manual.pdf

BTW- Marin's UK site is easier to navigate for finding this stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    SM, thanks for the info. Another question for you or anyone else: I have a bit of play in the upper (front) shock mount which translates into about 1 mm of movement at the back wheel-is this normal? The play is due to clearance of the hole that the long stud goes through. The DU bushing is fine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Strange a bit of play developed in my rear swingarm last year. Initially I thought the DU bushings were worn but I tried replacing them and the play is still there. Did not take a close look at the bolts and bearings used to mount the rear swingarms but the play must be coming from there.

I don't think the play is a big concern so I'll probably wait until the off-season to investigate some more.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ACH57
    I just bought a very lightly used blue '08 Mount Vision Pro which is my first full suspension bike. I come from a long time riding dirtbikes/motorcycles and road bikes but I have no idea where to start with the suspension settings on this Marin. My plan was to put everything back to factory setting and start from there, but I don't even know what those settings are.

I also plan to strip everything down and make sure that everything is lubed and torqued, but again I'm not sure what those numbers are. Also, I know I will need a shock pump-is there anything else?

I'm 6', 180 lbs and will be riding mostly in Sedona and Flagstaff, AZ. Any help on settings and/or teardown info would be very helpful. Can I talk with anyone at Marin about this?Thanks.
    I'm similar weight [slightly lighter]. I like a plush setting for mainly single track .
    I ride 140 to145 psi in the rear and 50 psi in the front.I never use pro pedal accept long fire road climbs.
    I pop fork dust seals up regularly and oil the foam rings. Keeps the fork buttery smooth.
    Left leg bushing runs a bit drier than rh leg because of lower oil level. Lh leg works better with synthetic motor oil as semi bath oil rather than fork oil. 5/40, like manitou use, seems to work well. I change oil every 3 or 4 months.
    Mines coming up a year old and has no play anywhere in rear end.Enduro sells aftermarket DU needle bearing if thats the culprit.Riding with pro pedal damping on eats DU bushings.