mtbr member

2008 Marin East Peak

I've read quite a few reviews but I was just looking for some new information on the 2008 Marin East Peak. I just got one a few days ago and while its in the shop I'm reading up on different aspects of the bike and biking in general. I was wondering if anyone here has experience with this bike and if there's anything I should be watching out for on my rides? Failures, explosions, etc.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    They are the same farme as a Mount Vision with just a Float R shock so any info on the Mount vision will apply.That shock will be pretty harsh with this frame though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    They are the same farme as a Mount Vision with just a Float R shock so any info on the Mount vision will apply.That shock will be pretty harsh with this frame though.
    How come?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    The R has a level of built in pro pedal from the factory. The MV frame tends to ramp up lots at the end of its travel so I'm picking the extra compression damping on the R will make it feel even harsher from middle to the end of its travel. Should be fine on the small stuff and will climb well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have that exact bike and do not notice any harshness at all. From small stuff to bigger.
    I have replaced some items that made the bike right for me though. Replaced the drivetrain out for XT and the improvement in shift speed is great. Also replaced the Juicy brakes for Avid BB7's. The stockers leaked fluid abit and did not have adjustments for lever distance. Then replaced the seat for something comfy. The next thing I did was replace the front fork with a Reba. Saved a good amount of weight over the stock Bomber and get a cushier ride. Last but not least was swapping out the stock wheels and tires with a set of Sun Ringle Experts and a pair of Hutchinson Python light weight tires. That really improved the bikes acceleration.
    I get many compliments on this bike at the trails. Wish Marin would have came out with a Quad linked 29er.. wound up with a Giant Anthem 3 to satisfy my 29er itch (great bike but doesn't have that Marin distinction)