mtbr member

2006 Mount Vision build

Hi all, hoping I can get some advise. I've been lurking the forum off and on for a while, and there seems to be a great deal of collective knowledge here. Pardon me for the long post, but I'm hoping to provide enough info for good feedback.

Currently I'm in the Middle East, nearing the end of another deployment. I don't have a ton of mountain biking experience over the years, just a bit here and there. I've ridden dirt bikes and trials bikes most of my life though, some of that competitively. Running is getting hard on my beat up knees and ankles, and I figure I can get myself some good cardio while I enjoy some dirt riding. There are plenty of good and several great places to ride very near by.

My last bike was a 2001-ish vintage Gary Fisher Tassajara, some time before I left I bought a new 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 disc for just $200. It's a size big for me, but I've been able to put a few miles on it. I've decided I do want a FS bike. I just picked up what looks to be a nice clean 2006 Mount Vision frame & shock that I'm going to build up when I get home. I got the frame off ebay for about $200, and I've read quite a few good reviews on that frame.

Plan A: I'm thinking I'll swap over everything that I can onto the Mount Vision, ride it, and then upgrade components as I need to. Does that sound like it'll be decent $400 bike? I'm sure I'll need a new seat post, maybe a headset and a few other small items to complete the swap, but it shouldn't add too much to the total cost.

Plan B: I've considered getting a good quality fork for the Mount Vision and swap the rest off the Avalanche as in Plan A.

Plan C: I think a build kit would great, and will provide the best result, but it'll drive the price into new bike territory and I'm not sure I want to spend that much just yet until I can be sure I'll stick with it.

Mechanical aptitude wont be an issue, and I don't mind buying a few special tools. I do need to verify exactly what will and wont fit between the two frames as soon as I get home.

SO... Any opinions on plans A, B, and C?

Thanks for the input!
    Doug
    Last edited by Doug_J; 12-31-2011 at 11:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Plan B sounds best. IMHO always get best fork you can afford.The Gt fork is only 100mm. Buggar the rest. Upgrade as reqd. Beware upgrades are always way more expensive[ even with parts on special] than buying a good bike up front. The rest of the bits will make for a heavy bike but still functional. It's only a couple of hours to swap the rest back on to the GT is you want a holiday hack.

mtbr member
    I think either B or C...Ive got an 05 Mount Vision..got it off of ebay for $800 + $100 for shipping...it looked like someone didnt even ride the thing...I love the bike..its one of my favorites..I also have an 04 Attack Trail that is a bit heavier than the MV..and I ride it every now and then...I bought the frame + front fork that came with it and upgraded the rest...took me a while to get it up and going..but it was worth it..I just wish it was a bit lighter.
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

mtbr member
    I've been in Cairo for a couple of days, getting ready to head back to the good 'ol USA very soon!

I think I'm going to try to get a decent fork, an then upgrade as I need to. The original was 100mm so I'll stick with that to maintain the geometry. Any recommendations for a XC fork?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    A 120 fork is always a good upgrade to old school 100mm geometry bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    A 120 fork is always a good upgrade to old school 100mm geometry bikes.
    That's an interesting comment, why is that? Can you explain further?

Were the '06 Mount Vision's a little too quick handling and this change improves them? I could see the change in angles making the bike a bit more stable, it this what you're getting at?

Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Yep.
    And the bike rocks back and fwd under your feet. The longer fork makes it feel like you have more travel out back as well.

mtbr member
    I just broke my swingarm on my 05 Mount Vision..you better make sure the swingarm doesnt have any cracks on it...and if you want to get rid of this bike. (for any reason)..please let me know.
    Out Of Step.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dresdenlock View Post
    I just broke my swingarm on my 05 Mount Vision..you better make sure the swingarm doesnt have any cracks on it...and if you want to get rid of this bike. (for any reason)..please let me know.
    Hey Dresdenlock, thanks for the heads up. I read quite a lot online in this forum and others that seemed to indicated that the '06 Mount Vision frame, specifically the swingarm, had some slight modification to increase strength from previous versions. I hope so, but I'll definitely give it a good look when I get home. I haven't even seen the frame yet...

I have left Egypt, but as I write this I'm in Iceland. I'm bringing an aircraft home from theater so I've been in Crete, Italy, and Scotland since Monday. Once we de-mob I'll be heading back to CA and will finally get to see this frame. I'll post up once I do. If for some reason I go a different route then building this up I'll let you know.

Doug

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    06 swingarm is better,i had cracked 2 swingarms on my 05 model but once i was sent a 06 updated swingarm never ran into the same problem.
    2009 Marin Mount Vision 5.7....a great everything bike...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug_J View Post
    Hey Dresdenlock, thanks for the heads up. I read quite a lot online in this forum and others that seemed to indicated that the '06 Mount Vision frame, specifically the swingarm, had some slight modification to increase strength from previous versions. I hope so, but I'll definitely give it a good look when I get home. I haven't even seen the frame yet...

I have left Egypt, but as I write this I'm in Iceland. I'm bringing an aircraft home from theater so I've been in Crete, Italy, and Scotland since Monday. Once we de-mob I'll be heading back to CA and will finally get to see this frame. I'll post up once I do. If for some reason I go a different route then building this up I'll let you know.

Doug
    thanks..I hate that the swingarm broke...totally in half...it makes me sick just looking at it hanging in the basement...maybe I can find another one and get it back up and running or another frame and transfer the parts..in the meantime Im looking at a Trek Fuel EX 5 to purchase.
    Out Of Step.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dresdenlock View Post
    thanks..I hate that the swingarm broke...totally in half...it makes me sick just looking at it hanging in the basement...maybe I can find another one and get it back up and running or another frame and transfer the parts..in the meantime Im looking at a Trek Fuel EX 5 to purchase.
    Man, sounds like you really like the bike, sorry yours is broke. Any idea what kind of chance there is of getting replacement parts? Near zero I would expect, but you never know till you try.

mtbr member
    I do..I miss it..I got another one..an 04 Attack Trail but its way heavier than the MV...there isnt any chance of a replacement part I called 2 dealers and they said that Marin doesnt make it anymore..(which I knew)...I was hoping maybe they had some spare parts but to no avail..so Im scouring ebay and not having any luck...so this weekend Im going to take a look at a Fuel EX...I hate to change but I dunno what else to do.
    Out Of Step.

mtbr member
    Got home Saturday!

When I went out to check out the GT I found it was a 2.0, so slightly different components from what I was thinking, but still decidedly mediocre. The Marin frame looks really great, only a tiny amount of cable rub marks and a little chain slap on the swingarm. Nothing even slightly significant. It also has a Salsa seat post clamp.

I went to the LBS and picked up a couple of tools for the crank work, a new front derailleur since the bottom swing off the GT wouldn't fit, derailleur cables and housing, and a headset. I thought the specs I read indicated that the seatpost from the GT wouldn't fit, but it was the same size.

There was enough steer tube to work, so I've decided to ride it with the suntour XCR until I deserve a better fork or this one is trashed... I need to put some time on there to get my conditioning where I want it. Being a life long motorcycle guy, the short time I have put on this fork already shows some significant shortcomings, and it seems to have a bit of bushing slop already, so we'll see. The RP-3 shock seems to in great shape, although it needs a bit more pressure to be where I think need it for a proper sag setting. I'll need a shock pump, which I didn't even think about while I was in town.

So she went right together, and I just went by guess and by golly on the derailleur adjustments rather that doing any reading to refresh my memory. So far so good though, I rode around on my property for an hour or so, and the only thing I've done is adjust the rear low stop a bit.

This is my first full suspension bike, it's early but so far I REALLY like it, even with the shock a little soft it doesn't seem waste what meager energy I manage to produce while climbing, in or out of the saddle it just seems to go. Actually, it seems to climb better in some areas for me than the rigid frame bikes I'm used to since it's maintaining better traction. I rode the GT yesterday before I pulled it apart, and now the Marin on the same cow trails and of course all the same components & tires.

Anyway here's a few pics:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2006 Mount Vision build-dscn0851.jpg  

2006 Mount Vision build-dscn0853.jpg  

2006 Mount Vision build-dscn0854.jpg  

mtbr member
    I love that bike...man that looks good..what kind of front fork is that?
    Out Of Step.

mtbr member
    Well, for a random collection of parts it does look pretty good if I do say so myself... This frame design is a bit odd looking to some perhaps, but I like it!

I'm very impressed with the rear suspension feel, it seems to largely ignore my pedaling inputs. Much tinkering left to do there though. The fork is the Suntour XCR off the GT, and it's obvious even in the little bit of riding that I've done it's not up to the standard set by the rear. It'll do for now, but I'm shopping.

The bike is down already though. Of all things it simply fell over in the garage and bent the rear derailleur hanger. That thing is made of cast aluminum and bent like silly putty, of course when it came time to try to bend it back it bent like glass - crack! So, lesson learned - I ordered TWO from derailluerhangers.com, having an extra should ensure that I never bend one again as long as I have this frame.

Thanks for the input here, I really appreciate it!

Doug

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Ugh! I bent my removeable dropout/derailleur hanger a bit but was able to bend it back. Lucky, because the newer removeable ones from my '10 frame are like 50 bucks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Haven't seen one in that colour before. Really smart.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input guys. I have been able to get out there on this bike a bit, and I really like it. However, as I expected when I started, I'm just not liking the Suntour fork that came on the GT. I already have a Manitou Minute Pro inbound, it should be here by Thursday. I hope it's a good $360 investment.

The bike handles great and the rear suspension works very well. I took it for a nice little ride on some very good singletrack for it's maiden voyage away from the house.

The next things that I can see needing before too long are a decent front brake and some better pedals. I haven't decided on platforms or clipless. That should do it for a while, I hope!

I always set up my motorcycles with as much front brake power as I could reasonably get, so I could use one finger most of the time. This brake is pretty weak, and it faded a bit on the downhill as well. Do you think I will get adequate power from a 6 inch rotor or should I consider going bigger?

Thanks again,
    Doug

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Bigger rotor likely will make a difference, especially with fading as it will dissipate heat more efficiently. It will likely grab a bit better too. Might as well try it first, as it's cheaper than replacing the brake itself. Rotors can be found for 25 bucks or so, plus another 10 for the proper adapter.

As for pedals, it depends on what kinda stuff you're riding. I've ridden with SPDs for a while and love them. Recently picked up a set of platforms for certain types of trails. The problem is more with clipping in on rough terrain or steep rolls than clipping out. After riding clipless for so long, platforms are taking some getting used to. I switch back and forth now but I definitely think that clipless are superior for 90% of terrain out there, jumps and drops included.

Just my .02

mtbr member
    My 2 broke Marins are still hanging in the basement...scoured eBay for a long time still nothing...so I went to the Trek Fuel EX 5...I do miss my old bikes but this EX is very very light and climbs like a dream.
    Out Of Step.