mtbr member
    Oct 2013

2003 Marin Wolf Ridge rear shock mounting hardware?

Hi,
    My son purchased what appears to be a 2003 Wolf Ridge frame at a flea market with rear shock with the intention of building it up to a full bike.

Although the bike came with a rear shock, it is not mounted properly. It slides back and forth sideways, so we clearly have some missing hardware. The bike came with one bushing/bearing zip tied to the bike which is the right size to possibly have something to do with the rear shock.

I can find no documentation or drawings or anything about this bike. Marin's bike 'archive' only goes back a few years.

Does anyone have an exploded view drawing, or maybe pictures during some disassembly work or anything at all to share about what parts are needed to mount this rear shock properly?

There is a jumble of stuff installed already at the rear shock, but it can't possibly be right. It might be as simple as a few missing spacer tubes for all I know. Should there be 2 quick releases, or just 1? We appear to have 1 QR and a partial QR.

Also, any weak spots on this frame to inspect before investing anything into it?

I'l follow up later with a picture after we disassemble what is currently there.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2003 Marin Wolf Ridge rear shock mounting hardware?-20131029_094326.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Based on my 2004 Rift Zone, the hardware that is connecting the shock is looking all wrong, and at least missing some spacer bushings. Unfortunately, the exploded view diagrams for the linkages have been hidden by Marin for bikes of that vintage, but if Marin still has extra parts for the bike, you should be able to get them from a dealer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    also, before going forward at all, check around the Bottom Bracket and swing arm connection just in front of it for any cracking. Those bikes were pretty stout, but if there was ride damage, that is where it would be.

If you don't mind me asking, How much did he pay for the frame?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    He paid $5 for the frame and shock. The guy had a number of frames, I think we was a parter-outer and had them left over.

Here is a picture of the hardware we have which is clearly incomplete.

We'll check the BB and swing arm closely. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2003 Marin Wolf Ridge rear shock mounting hardware?-photo.jpg