mtbr member
    Apr 2010

150mm fork in Mount Vision 2008 ? RS Revelation U-Turn...

Hi!

I am just choosing the fork for my new Marin Mount Vision PRO (2008).
    And I saw new Rock Shox Revelation Dual Air U-Turn with 20mm axle - what I like a lot.
    My only concearn is that this is 150mm fork... Wouldn't be too high?

I mean - off course I can use U-Turn and set it to 120-130mm for climbing.
    What about so called "all mountain" riding?
    Would it be safe for the frame to use 150mm od descending and some trail fun?

Thanks in advance

Undercaffienated
    I run a 130mm fork on my 2009 MV, and there are those who run 140 and 150 forks on this frame.

As far as safety and maximum travel rating, check with Marin!

That said, my personal thoughts on this are that the Mount Vision's geometry is designed around a 120mm travel fork. Putting a 130mm fork on it probably doesn't do much of a noticeable difference, and you can get away with a 140mm fork if you plan on descending more than climbing. Not sure about what a 150 mm fork would do since I haven't tried one myself, but I know that for my type of riding (rolling rough terrain, lots of short steep technical climbs and short fast descents. Occasional jumps and small drops) the stock 120mm fork is alright and a 130mm would probably give it a small bit of extra plushness on descents without hurting the nice climbing characteristics of the MV frame too much.

Of course things like adjustable travel are always nice to have

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I think its worth a try,personally i like the slacker head angle.works very good for me even on a very tight and twisty course with climbs.i just rode my 09 mount vision for the first time last night and i can tell the 120mm is not enough.
    2009 Marin Mount Vision 5.7....a great everything bike...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Ok, thanks for your input!

I think, that since it is the U-Turn version and I can set the travel as I want it between 120-150mm, it is pretty safe to try out.
    I was going to go for 140mm fox, and this will be only 10mm travel more. Shouldn't break the geometry - but if it would, I can set it on 130mm

What are your experience with Magura Menja 130mm All Mountain? If you have any.
    This is the other fork I am thinking of... Travel would fit perfectly.

Thanks once again
    Last edited by luke_; 05-18-2010 at 11:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have just ordered Magura Menja 130mm All Mountain fork.
    I spoke to Marin and they said that anything more than 120 will void warranty anyway as the frame is designed for 120mm forks.

So taking this and the wheelset I have into consideration, I have decided that the Revelation will have too much travel for me.

Best regards

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I called about putting a 130mm Rev on my '08 MV, Marin told me that it isn't so much the extra travel as it is the change in placement of the quad links. The placement of the links is critical to proper function of the suspension. They told me it ould be fine but not to go over 130mm. Again this is a '08 which Marin said was one of the strongest quad XC frames they made.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks Flboy.
    That's good to know!

I have just ordered the Magura 130 AM

This fits perfectly

Best regards
    Last edited by luke_; 06-09-2010 at 10:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Don't forget Fox crown height on average is 10 mm lower than most other mfgs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I asked about A-C height and the dude from marin kept saying just don't go over 130mm. I would think the A-C height would be more inportant. I guess they know what they are talking about, they spec and build the bikes.

Nice fork luke_ let us know how it works for you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hi!

Thanks guys. The same i have heard from Marin - so I have decided to go with the Magura.
    The bike should be ready in a month or so. I'll let you know how it works.

Best regards

mtbr member
    May 2005
    08 Mt. Vision has to steep a HA IMO at 69.5*. I know they changed it for 2010 to 68* or 68.5* which is better. From what I have read every 20mm increase in A/C height = 1* greater HA so a 140mm might hit the sweet spot despite what Marin says about the links. The 2011 Fox Talas is now a 2 step instead of 3 like before which is fine really and more simple. Spiffy new coating with FIT and Terralogic damper on the 140mm version. Could be sweet on a MV.

What Marin needs to do IMHO is turn the MV into a 140-150mm bike with about a 68* HA and keep it under 30lbs. 140mm or more trail bikes are the norm now if you look around. The Attack Trail is a little to slack and a little to heavy to be an all arounder like the MV could be with that increase in travel F/B...again IMHO.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have gotten on a 2010 Mt V and from what I've seen its the perfect type of bike to show how 120mm of good travel is better than 150mm of poor travel...... I'lll be able to ride it in some bigger terrain in the next couple of weeks - and get rid of the god awfull 110mm stem that comes as standard - and see if initial impressions are right.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    nevermind
    Last edited by socalscott; 12-06-2010 at 01:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad
    08 Mt. Vision has to steep a HA IMO at 69.5*. I know they changed it for 2010 to 68* or 68.5* which is better. From what I have read every 20mm increase in A/C height = 1* greater HA so a 140mm might hit the sweet spot despite what Marin says about the links. The 2011 Fox Talas is now a 2 step instead of 3 like before which is fine really and more simple. Spiffy new coating with FIT and Terralogic damper on the 140mm version. Could be sweet on a MV.

What Marin needs to do IMHO is turn the MV into a 140-150mm bike with about a 68* HA and keep it under 30lbs. 140mm or more trail bikes are the norm now if you look around. The Attack Trail is a little to slack and a little to heavy to be an all arounder like the MV could be with that increase in travel F/B...again IMHO.
    100% agreed
    In 2011 models, the HA IMO is at 67.5 for 140mm forks

I'm running Talas on my 08 East peak ... no problem so far as it has longer HT (think is about 10mm longer than 2010 & above model)