mtbr member

'10 Attack Trail chain guide problems

I installed a Blackspire Stinger double chainring guide onto the AT the other week. The guide is too close to the small chainring and rubs rather badly against the chain. I know the ISCG tabs are made for the Hammerschmidt and I have seen single ring setups, has anyone had this problem or successfully hooked up a dual ring chainguide? Any solutions? Yes, I installed it correctly. Thought about grinding down the guide or maybe spacing out the crankarm (not sure how to do that). Maybe that is just the way Marin made the tabs. I could grind down the tabs themselves, but that seems dangerous and more effort that I want. Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Works on mine OK with a saint crank. You need to add a 2.5mm BB spacer to the drive side cup.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Mine requried a lot of fiddling to make it fit properly with the SLX crank. Once set up it has been working fine. Seems to be a particularly problematic with 73mm BB. The BB spacer can work, but I was concerned about messing with the chain line too much. Probably not a big deal.

My installation required careful hardware selection, modifications to that hardware, modifications to the chainring bolts and selection of a slightly thicker BB shim chosen to minimize impact on the chain line. After attempting it myself with some success I took it to a trusted mechanic and he finished the job.

mtbr member
    Do you know what size spacers you have in there? It appears there is already a spacer in there from the factory, not sure what size. My LBS has no experience with chain guides, but they did give me a free spacer so I could try it out, 2.5mm I think. I have the stock SLX crank as well. The concern is having the left crank arm fall off because the spindle has been spaced too far right.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuel53 View Post
    Do you know what size spacers you have in there? It appears there is already a spacer in there from the factory, not sure what size. My LBS has no experience with chain guides, but they did give me a free spacer so I could try it out, 2.5mm I think. I have the stock SLX crank as well. The concern is having the left crank arm fall off because the spindle has been spaced too far right.
    I am no expert either, but my mechanic is. Cactus Bikes in Awahtukee, AZ.

I believe the BB shell is 68 mm with a 73 mm BB. Some have (incorrectly I believe) claimed a BB of 68 mm. I suspect a clash of nomenclature, but no matter.

When I installed mine initially there were ~6mm that had to be accounted for (removed) before fasteners did not collide and before the tips of the chain pins did not contact the backing plate. That's like a quarter of an inch or so.

Most of that came from grinding fasteners. After that I took it to Fish at Cactus Bikes.

I am not at home right now to measure the spacer.

You also want to ensure the crank is properly positioned in the BB, not snugged down too tightly.

mtbr member
    I did a little grinding too. Hate to admit it when Im beyond my own fixing capabilites, but the consequences of improper setup may be enough to make me spend the money.