mtbr member
    Jan 2012

09 marin wolf ridge

i have a 2009 marin wolf ridge that i want to get a new fork for. i am currently debating between these options:

2011 Rockshox Revelation RLT Ti 150 20mm
    2011 fox float 150 fit rlc 15mm
    2011 fox 36 160 float fit rlc.

i am leaning towards the revelation because i have had luck with RS before. I did some looking around and not much information on forks for the wolf ridge is to be found. any input is greatly appreciated. i am not really interested in travel adjust because i never use it on the 454 coil pike i currently have. i have also included a picture of my bike as of current.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 09 marin wolf ridge-wolfie.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Pretty much personal preference. My preference is for the Fox forks others like RS. I"ve got one Rev 150 RLti but I find it too linear. Huge mid range nirvana but that comes at a cost. Less small bump compliance , blow through the travel too easy and a little harsher over sharp hits in the mid range. Others love them and can't seem to be able to tune Fox forks. Much of that is terrain specific and if you like RS forks on your terrain than go for it. I like my RL forks as much as my RLC. I don't use any low speed compression.

PS I have a Wolf Ridge and it really responds well to a larger Xv2 sleeve on the shock.
    Without that I wouldn't bother with a Float 36.Now i have a xv2 sleeve, a 36 would be a good up grade if I was just going to do AM riding . May be a bit slack for trail riding ?

Bloodied but Unbowed
    I would suggest that you remove the Fox 32mm from that list, depending upon your riding style. I think it is just not stiff enough for aggressive riding. The Fox 32mm forks seem to work well at 140mm and below.

I think either of the other forks will be great, with a decent weight savings by using the Revelation. I have run both the 2010 Revelation Team Dual Air 150mm and the 2010 Fox 36 TALAS RC2 160mm on my 2010 Attack Trail which is very similar to the Wolf Ridge. I prefer the Fox 36 for overall stiffness and higher speed descending, but would be happy with either. The Revelation is fairly supple feeling as I recall, once tuned to your riding style and preferences.

I pedal the AT everywhere and it climbs great even with a <66 HA, and I am a solidly mediocre rider, an assessment that may actually be generous. I do use the 130mm position of the TALAS on some steeper climbs but have found during back to back comparisons it is not strictly necessary to drop the fork in order to make the climb, doing so just makes it a bit easier in some situations. This stands to reason because while running the Revelation, which of course isn't adjustable, it climbed these same features just fine.
    Last edited by DesertCrawler; 02-02-2012 at 05:14 AM.
    "This is my favorite section...watch your step..."

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Nice bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    changes since then:

150m RS revelation rlt ti
    command post blacklite 125mm
    shimano slx cranks
    blackspire stinger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 09 marin wolf ridge-meow.jpg