mtbr member

Lynskey Ridgeline, continuing my affair with titanium...

Having put up a couple of other build threads on here, the first for my Yeti, the second for my Foes, I thought I should continue the tradition with my newest frame, a Lynskey Ridgeline.

Recently I found that the Yeti didn't have that certain something, and I all but stopped riding it. I was emotionally ready to sell it, but needed something to fill the gap. A titanium frame would be the ideal choice as the hardtail is the ideal winter bike for the UK, and having experience with titanium already I knew how resilient they are to mucky conditions. Come spring clean time, the frame can be treated to a new set of decals after Scotchbriting and will look brand new.

After stripping the Yeti, cleaning and servicing all the parts as I waited for the Lynskey to arrive, I could build the bike up.

Sorry about the crappy iPhone pic as this was during the initial setup ride, I will get some better images tomrrow. The seatpost is a different size, as is the front mech, but the top headset transferred over from the Yeti, and a dig in the parts bin revealed a lower headset cup to complete the build.

I have completed a few rides on it, and I am really enjoying the ride. I was worried that a titanium frame in such a big wheel configuration would be too flexible but quite the opposite. The ride is comfortable but precise, and there isn't a hint of unwanted flex. The local trail centre in the Forest Of Dean would tie the Yeti in knots in places, and I found that I had to really man-handle it to get it to turn in faster corners, but the Lynskey is much easier to ride, and turns much more easily. Our local ride yesterday evening saw me equal my fastest time on the fastest downhill section, so it is certainly no slouch...

Better pics tomorrow.

mtbr member
    some better pics. i washed her yesterday evening,

the welds are pretty tidy.

i also changed the 2x10 out in favour of 3x10, the new cranks have the ti axle too.

i know it is old fashioned, but im not getting any younger, and i cleared a steep technical section on thursday that i havent been able to to for 4-5 years, so it works better than 2x10 for me.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Nice bike, I have just done a deal on a second hand Pro 29 frame so my first ti bike build is coming up soon.

I know what you mean about 3x for mtb's. I have one bike set up with 2x9 and I think it requires more shifts between the front chainrings than a 3x where most riding is done in middle ring with the others just giving a few extra gears at the top and bottom. Also most 2x give up some of the lowest ratios.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Can I please ask what size fork you are running, is it 140 as it looks or a shorter 120. I'm just about to get a 26" ridgeline LT. I'm actually after it for the same reason as you (winter riding), my 20 year old Manitou with an original Pace fork is just too old these days, the elastomers are just too soft.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Uopi View Post
    Can I please ask what size fork you are running, is it 140 as it looks or a shorter 120. I'm just about to get a 26" ridgeline LT. I'm actually after it for the same reason as you (winter riding), my 20 year old Manitou with an original Pace fork is just too old these days, the elastomers are just too soft.
    It looks like about 100mm or maybe 120mm at most. I have finished my Pro 29 and I am running a 100mm Reba on it. If you are retiring a 20 year old fork then I think you will find even 100mm of air sprung goodness to be sufficient on your Ridgeline 26'er.

Here is my Lynskey with the 100mm Reba.

Untitled by ozynigma, on Flickr

Here is my Banshee Paradox 29'er with a 120mm Manitou Tower Pro.

Untitled by ozynigma, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for getting back to me, pulled the trigger on the Ridgeline 26 and got a 140mm DT Swiss for to match it. Now to screw it all together.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uopi View Post
    hey. in the photos the talas forks are set at 110, which is nice on-road, but off road i usually pop them out to 140mm.