Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lynskey Fatbike

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

mtbr member
    4' Tire clearance won't cut it any more. To many people want 5" clearance. Any new frame engineered should handle 5" tires to give the purchaser the choice to go big or not so big.

Clears
    Aug 2011
    Lemme guess before I click the link, another hardtail fat bike........shocker

mtbr member
    I wouldn't say it's new...Lynskey has been making the Ti Fatback for years. With Fatback ditching the 170 for 190, it left a spot for Lynskey to slide into...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    They should just call it a Fatback

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gcappy View Post
    4' Tire clearance won't cut it any more. To many people want 5" clearance. Any new frame engineered should handle 5" tires to give the purchaser the choice to go big or not so big.
    Not sure I'd agree with that. Personally, I'm fine with 170mm hubs and 4" tires. I also "downsized" from RDs to Marge Lite rims, making my rig a bit less fat, and I'm liking it. There's not enough 190mm bikes out there yet to be able to say if it's gonna stick. No aftermarket hubs, either (that I'm aware of). So there's some risk jumping on that bandwagon at this point.

get down!
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    Not sure I'd agree with that. Personally, I'm fine with 170mm hubs and 4" tires. I also "downsized" from RDs to Marge Lite rims, making my rig a bit less fat, and I'm liking it. There's not enough 190mm bikes out there yet to be able to say if it's gonna stick. No aftermarket hubs, either (that I'm aware of). So there's some risk jumping on that bandwagon at this point.
    I agree. Everyone I know on a fat bike is on 4" tires. I run a Bud up front and often lust for something faster rolling---especially when I ride with them.

Also, SS'ers can probably run a large tire in the back with no drivetrain worries. I think this usually refers to running a full range of gears with a large tire.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitman View Post
    I wouldn't say it's new...Lynskey has been making the Ti Fatback for years. With Fatback ditching the 170 for 190, it left a spot for Lynskey to slide into...
    And don't forget the titanium Mukluk, (until this coming year's model), which Lynskey also made.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    Tell that to 9-0-7 and Borealis. They both have invested heavily to create Carbon frames that are 190 mm and fit Bud/Lou on Clownshoe's. There are probably a couple I didnt think of also or don't know of. Carver also makes the Ti-Obeast that accepts Bud/Lou on Clownshoes. I would not buy a new frame if it didn't have that capability. You may want to go big some day too. Why not have the choice?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Cool if ya like ChiTi that breaks a lot, I guess......
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

JYB
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've gotta say that for the riding I do on the East coast of the U.S., I don't feel a need for a 190mm frame. We don't get huge amounts of snow in the winter here in VA. Both 70 and 47mm rims work like a charm for me, especially when doing 50+ mile trail rides. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I hope the 170mm frames stay around.

Dirt Huffer

mtbr member
    I thought they (Lynskey) only made the first year Ti Muk...

Elitest thrill junkie
    The "Obsolete"?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Harmonius Wrench
    I thought they (Lynskey) only made the first year Ti Muk...
    Which was carried over to this year, and next year's is Taiwanese manufactured.

mtbr member
    gottcha

mtbr member
    Does "ChiTi" break a lot? I guess there must be different grades of Titanium, but how different are they? or is it the welds?
    "... Say you coming and took you for a spin like a stolen, rusty cruiser, boy. Yeah, I'm talkin 'bout a HARSH ride. "

mtbr member
    I thought Lynskeys were made in the USA? However I did just look at their site and it makes no mention of Made in the USA or otherwise...

mtbr member
    I find it difficult to justify Ti for a fatbike frame. (I've got a Ti 29er and a Ti CX bike, so I do like the stuff)

I can't see much point in it on a fatbike because the fat tyres do the job you want it for on skinny bikes, and you end up with a heavier frame than the equivalent quality in aluminium.

About the only advantage I can think off (apart from the shininess ) was if I was crossing a lot of salt water beaches where the corrosion resistance would be an advantage
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Dirt Huffer
    I thought Lynskeys were made in the USA? However I did just look at their site and it makes no mention of Made in the USA or otherwise...

They are made in Tennessee.

mtbr member
    That's what I thought, but I would also think they would have that prominently notated on their site

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by JYB View Post
    I've gotta say that for the riding I do on the East coast of the U.S., I don't feel a need for a 190mm frame. We don't get huge amounts of snow in the winter here in VA. Both 70 and 47mm rims work like a charm for me, especially when doing 50+ mile trail rides. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I hope the 170mm frames stay around.
    +1
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    I don't feel a need for a 190mm frame
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    I hope the 170mm frames stay around.
    ^ this, as it suits the xc style riding that i do.
    Nothing against 190, but neither have I for 170!
    Leave nothing but footprints & take nothing but photographs.

Harmonius Wrench
    Lynskey says the frame has a 70 Head Angle based on a 474.5mm axle to crown fork. The specs on the complete say the bike has a Moonlander fork. I don't think Moonlander forks are offered in that long a configuration. So either the actual head angle will be steeper, or there is a Moonlander fork that long. (Surly's site is not very helpful in this regard, by the way.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast