Training for the Darwin's

How's the Lynskey MT 29er?

Any ride reports on the Lynskey MT? Any customer service issues? Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    My question as well.
    The MT 29 costs a fraction of the Ridgeline and the Pro 29.
    On the website they say the urge not to expect the same performance as that of the more expensive models. Yes. I do understand flex. But how much does it flex? Will mister Average notice it?
    Any reviews?

Linoleum Knife
    I'm having a hard time seeing much difference (other than the obvious) between the models.
    The seat-stay to seat tube welding configuration is different, but that's about all I notice... Seat stays and chainstays look thinner - maybe downtube as well.

Ahhh....
    "You will find in our Silver Series, smaller, non manipulated tubing which allow us to streamline production, resulting in an overall cost reduction and lower costs."

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have a M290 and love it" climbs like a scolded cat a handles as sharp as a razor. The M290 has a larger downtube than the ridge line. M290 has a 2 inch downtube the ridge line is 1 1/2. Makes for a stiff bottom bracket. Oh yeah I am a Clydesdale rider. Frame is plenty stiff where it needs to be.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dcarterdman View Post
    I have a M290 and love it" climbs like a scolded cat a handles as sharp as a razor. The M290 has a larger downtube than the ridge line. M290 has a 2 inch downtube the ridge line is 1 1/2. Makes for a stiff bottom bracket. Oh yeah I am a Clydesdale rider. Frame is plenty stiff where it needs to be.
    I thought the Ridgeline had 1 3/4 downtube. The M290 is still stiffer but I think it is the Silver Series m29 that has the 1 1/2 downtube.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Pride View Post
    I thought the Ridgeline had 1 3/4 downtube. The M290 is still stiffer but I think it is the Silver Series m29 that has the 1 1/2 downtube.
    I stand corrected you are right ridge line is 1.75 downtube and the M290 has a 2 inch downtube

mtbr member
    I've had the M290 and really, really loved it. Sold it, and got myself a Pro 29 2014 : to my liking, it was too stiff and lost all of titanium's magic feeling. In the end, I sold it - wish I still had my M290.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    One thing about Lynskey to keep in mind is the overall $/quality. For example the head tubes have a cup bonded into them (on every model I have seen). Moots on the other hand do not. That said Lynskey's are fine looking rigs and I know plenty of fast people that ride them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Mine is a 2014 Lynskey Ridgeline and there is no cup bonded into the head tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Back to the original question, any thoughts on the MT29? Just got rear-ended, lost my hardtail and for a replacement it's down to the Motobecane Fly Ti XT build, and the MT29. Both bikes have lifetime warranties, Moto butted tubes and less expensive, MT29 built in the US of A ...

Looking to pull trigger very soon. Would love some feedback from someone who has cranked out some miles on the MT29 (or moto for that matter). I'll be riding this in the rocky, rutty northeast. Not racing, but like to mix in hardtail with my full susp, and hoped the ti would take the edge off, as well as last a long time and be fun to look at.

Happy riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Go for the lynskey I have heard of people cracking the motobeacane. A lot better grade of Ti on the lynskey. Ther is also more engineering of the tube set with lynskey. It's stiff where it needs to be an compliant in the right places the moto can be somewhat of a noodle

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    after 12 hours on the mt 29 I gotta say....
    does everything it needs to, and feels great

my vassago railed the berms and corners much better
    my old/ancient kona unit feels similar
    but the lynsky climbs better, descends not as good as vassago
    but overall feels nicer for sucking up chatter and bumps...i would say a mix of carbon and steel feeling which is perfect for me.
    also seems to handle my 2.75 tires fine

only quibble...wish it had a slightly longer TT, but i can deal with it for a grand.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dcarterdman View Post
    Go for the lynskey I have heard of people cracking the motobeacane. A lot better grade of Ti on the lynskey. Ther is also more engineering of the tube set with lynskey. It's stiff where it needs to be an compliant in the right places the moto can be somewhat of a noodle
    Havent riden a Lynskey but have a moto. Only complaint is the wheels are too light on the xtr build and my 200lbs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    From my experience the CS is superior. I just ordered my 5th Lynskey.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sethbotwick View Post
    From my experience the CS is superior. I just ordered my 5th Lynskey.
    Can't argue with this, Lynskey was very helpful when I ordered a R230, BD email only.

mtbr member
    im riding my MT29, got it last week with the XT build. Its awesome! cant wait to try it this years moco epic ride

DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by thrash_273 View Post
    im riding my MT29, got it last week with the XT build. Its awesome! cant wait to try it this years moco epic ride
    How do you like it? I'm about ready to pull the trigger on one but I need to confirm that the X-Fusion Slide 29 is an RL2 model (capable of 120mm changeout), and whether not not the bike comes setup tubeless with tape and valves. The latter isn't a deal-breaker but it would be nice. The pics show an RL2 but the specs don't say anything about it.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    it is an rl2. i will not be buying any mountain bike anytime in the next 5 years atleast. i have stopped any urge except for converting it to a 1x10 maybe next year. but as far as this bike goes, amazing... simply amazing.. worth every dime. will be using in this october for a metric century mtb ride

DFMBA.org
    it is an rl2. i will not be buying any mountain bike anytime in the next 5 years atleast. i have stopped any urge except for converting it to a 1x10 maybe next year. but as far as this bike goes, amazing... simply amazing.. worth every dime. will be using in this october for a metric century mtb ride
    Ha! I'm in the same boat. I've owned six bikes in 5 years and haven't found 'the one'. I'm hoping this might be it, the one bike I can keep for a very long time. Placed order yesterday and I gotta say that Lynskey's c/s to this point has been outstanding. What was the stock weight on yours, if you recall?

Sent from my C525c using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    im not precise but i think around 24-27. loving this thing. congrats on the purchase. i got rid of the remote lock out and change my seat post to ti. so im not sure about the new weight

DFMBA.org
    im not precise but i think around 24-27. loving this thing. congrats on the purchase. i got rid of the remote lock out and change my seat post to ti. so im not sure about the new weight
    Thanks. Mine is spec'd with a Thompson Elite but I might go Ti too at some point. Even more compliance/comfort.

DFMBA.org
    Just took delivery last Friday but with a hectic schedule, not much riding time on it yet. I did notice that the XT bottom bracket was installed without any spacers in the BB. I would think there would be at least one on the drive side. It's a 73mm wide shell, btw. Can anyone look at theirs and see if there's has any BB spacers?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'll take a look at mine and let you know. Should be taking delivery of it next week. Do you have a close up of what it looks like with spacers vs without?

Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    Just took delivery last Friday but with a hectic schedule, not much riding time on it yet. I did notice that the XT bottom bracket was installed without any spacers in the BB. I would think there would be at least one on the drive side. It's a 73mm wide shell, btw. Can anyone look at theirs and see if there's has any BB spacers?

DFMBA.org
    Well, there's no spacers on the BB cups. I wrote Lynskey and that's how they say the build is suppose to be. No issues really with chain line but somehow I had it in my head that there should be at least 1 spacer on the drive side. BB shell is 73mm wide (measured).

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm heavy for an XC racer (215 pounds), and I'm interested in the MT 29 to replace my ill-fitting Niner Jet 9. Are you all still happy with the frame?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Still extremely happy with my Ti lynskey frame it is a beautiful frame. You will love titanium after coming off of a aluminum frame you will wonder why you didn't do it earlier. Being a Clydesdale the ti frame will make a huge difference in how your back feels and how much vibration you feel on the ride. I've become a titanium junkie I now own a titanium full suspension also. I am also from burning my current titanium hardtail to a 27.5 + bike

DFMBA.org

Quote Originally Posted by kylepeveto View Post
    I'm heavy for an XC racer (215 pounds), and I'm interested in the MT 29 to replace my ill-fitting Niner Jet 9. Are you all still happy with the frame?
    My only minor critiques of the frame are the really long head tube, the 38.1 seat collar requirement, and the chainstay tire clearance in the rear. I took off the stock tires from the full XT build which were WTB somethin'-or-other 2.25s and put on a Saguaro 2.2 and I wouldn't want to go wider I don't think. The other knobs are within 6mm on either side and that's on the narrow-ish Mavic Crossride wheels. If I put on Stans Flows and a 2.25 I'd probably be kissing the chainstays with the tire.

Now I'm trying to find a deep 38.1mm aftermarket seatpost clamp so I can use a carbon seatpost. Not looking too promising.

Besides these minor inconveniences, the frame is terrific.

Edit: Found a 2 bolt s/p clamp at Planet X
    Last edited by MTBeing; 12-30-2015 at 08:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Spacer only needed for 3x crank. 2x, like road doesn't need it. I built up my MT29 w/o spacer and it works fine. BTW, RL2 Slide is convertible from 80 ,100 and 120. Love the MT 29 ride, Crossride wheels need to find another home! I will be springing for something a bit better very soon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    How's the Lynskey MT 29er?-lynskey.jpgI'll contribute to this thread. I searched and did as much research as I could before I bought and there wasn't a whole lot to go on. First let me state that my MT29 is with the 44mm head tube and thru axle front and rear. It is plenty stiff and yet plenty forgiving as well. It's ti.
    I've been riding a Salsa El Mariachi for a few years and loved the geometery, but wanted ti, and something a bit more updated. I mainly ride tech trails in Austin as well as a lot of bikepacking. The frame, combined with a 120mm fork is awesome. I have nothing but absolutely positive things to say about this frame except for one small nit pick. The bottle bosses on the seat tube are mounted in a way that I can only run a smaller bottle (12 oz) and not the larger 20 or even 16 oz bottle (Cambleback). I feel like there is more room in the frame to lower it, but oh well. I can live with that.

Customer service was top notch. I was always able to chat with someone and they were extremely helpful. Fit and finish were excellent as well. For the price of this frame I really think it can't be beat.
    Set up:
    1x10 XT with a 30x42 (One Up).
    SID 120 mm fork
    Stans with King hubs
    other stuff.

Love it.

mtbr member
    I don't understand why they route the brake and rear derailleur hoses on top of the rear rear triangle. Below would have been so much cleaner like they did on the M290, which was perfect. Best design they made.

mtbr member
    Hi guys, can anyone post the video of the guy comparing the Ridgeline frame with the mt29. I think the video is inside the Lynskey factory. I saw this a year ago but can't find it now when I google it..

I'm seriously buying a Ti frame and thinking which one to buy between Lynskey mt29 or motobecane fly team 29.. That is why I am checking all the reviews as I have not ridden a titanium bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Those videos have been removed for one reason or another after an employee left under good terms. I have the Motobecane Fly Team 29 and a Lynskey R230. While not both MTBs both are good well built bikes. Call the guys at Lynskey and they will be able to help you out with your decision. Lynskey's customer service is better than Bikes Direct but they are two different business models.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nazgul350r View Post
    Those videos have been removed for one reason or another after an employee left under good terms. I have the Motobecane Fly Team 29 and a Lynskey R230. While not both MTBs both are good well built bikes. Call the guys at Lynskey and they will be able to help you out with your decision. Lynskey's customer service is better than Bikes Direct but they are two different business models.
    Thanks man. I hope someone saved it and post it here cos that video is really a good one. Anyway, yes still thinking, price is not an issue for me though I know moto fly team price is way below mt 29. It's the built that will have me decide.. Will check for more reviews.

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I did not save the vids but remember them. They were good. I'd choose the Lynskey because of the customer service. I've had several and found the Lynskey to be the most nimble and balanced.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Mark Lynskey just took me on a 2 hour tour of their facility. Impressive, passionate, and loving group of folks. Buy a Lynskey.

DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by grammy View Post
    Thanks man. I hope someone saved it and post it here cos that video is really a good one. Anyway, yes still thinking, price is not an issue for me though I know moto fly team price is way below mt 29. It's the built that will have me decide.. Will check for more reviews.

Thank you.
    I watched those several times and they were comparing the tubing differences between the three different models and how the tubing shapes incorporated more or less stiffness. I ride the MT29 and really like it and I bought it because the round tubing geometry is more compliant/comfortable on the trails.

I'm not sure about the Moto but the MT29 is 142x12 in the rear. I tried to find info on the Moto but found nothing specific which leads me to believe it may be the older 135 QR style. IMO a 12mm t/a is a game changer because it stiffens up the back end of the bike dramatically. I wouldn't even consider a bike with a rear (or front) QR anymore but you may feel differently. Also look at the warranty between the two bikes. And yes, the c/s at Lynskey is undoubtedly going to be better than Bikes Direct.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm considering an MT29; does anyone know what I can expect a large size model to weigh?

Thanks

DFMBA.org

Quote Originally Posted by bigskychuck View Post
    I'm considering an MT29; does anyone know what I can expect a large size model to weigh?

Thanks
    My large MT29 (full XT build) was 26 lbs w/o pedals with the stock Crossride wheelset. I've since swapped those out and now it's 25 and change.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks! I suppose the Stans Arch would be a lighter option (though I would probably go with the XT blend so would be heavier there) than the Crossrides? I'm not a weight weanie but I'm buying my first mnt bike in 25 yrs to do the Crusher in the Tushar, which is half gravel and half pavement; I've been strictly a road biker (on a Lynskey R255) so used to light weight. 25 is quite light for a mnt bike, right? It looks like it's about $1000/lb to get lighter?

Charlie

DFMBA.org
    Thanks! I suppose the Stans Arch would be a lighter option (though I would probably go with the XT blend so would be heavier there) than the Crossrides? I'm not a weight weanie but I'm buying my first mnt bike in 25 yrs to do the Crusher in the Tushar, which is half gravel and half pavement; I've been strictly a road biker (on a Lynskey R255) so used to light weight. 25 is quite light for a mnt bike, right? It looks like it's about $1000/lb to get lighter?

Charlie
    The Lynskey frame weighs something like 3.5 lbs so it's pretty comparable to carbon, maybe a smidge heavier. 25 lbs is decent for a hard tail MTB but could probably reach 23-ish with a XX1 setup and light wheels. The Stan's Arch is a great all-round wheelset that's light and durable. That said, why not put some gravel or cross tires on the 255 and ride that for Tushar?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Interesting idea - thanks. I know most people are riding it on 32's. Do you think I can use anything wider than a 28 on the R255?

Charlie

DFMBA.org
    Interesting idea - thanks. I know most people are riding it on 32's. Do you think I can use anything wider than a 28 on the R255?

Charlie
    That I'm not sure of. I would ask this in a CX forum about what is reasonable clearance. If I was doing a grinder like that I'd want as light as possible with a lot of gear range.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Can anyone compare the MT 29 to the Ridgeline 29?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I enjoyed my Ridgeline. Looking at the specs, I would go for the larger tire clearance on the Ridgeline. I can't give a comment on the MT29.

DFMBA.org
    The ridgeline I think has a different yoke vs std chainstays allowing for more tire clearance in the back. I think Lynskey says you can run a 2.3 on the MT29 but it would be tight with less than 6mm per side. Also the MT29 has round tubing throughout which allows for more frame compliance. H/a on the MT29 is 71 I believe which is very XC. I would've loved to see Lynskey slack out the h/a by a degree and a half on the MT29.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I guess the Ridgeline might weigh a pound more, or something, but be more comfortable on long rides. Just when I went to order an MT29, the price went up substantially ;-(

DFMBA.org
    I guess the Ridgeline might weigh a pound more, or something, but be more comfortable on long rides. Just when I went to order an MT29, the price went up substantially ;-(
    When I bought mine last October that's right when the new XT stuff was being introduced. My suspicion is that QBP or another bike wholesaler wanted to be rid of the older XT line and offered deep discounts on it. Lynskey probably passed some of that savings onto their customers. Same for the Mavic Crossrides. The MT29 frame is the same price from last year.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have been happy with the frame, CS and build quality. The MT29 does not use large diameter tubes and it does give it a compliant ride. It is not the stiffest frame but I much prefer the forgiving ride. If you are a dedicated racer then you might want to look elsewhere with a bike with a stiffer BB.
    I also added a niner RDO carbon post. It gives it a really nice softail feel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've very nearly ordered the MT29 a couple of times but am now stuck in the "analysis paralysis" concerning hardtail vs FS.

DFMBA.org
    I've very nearly ordered the MT29 a couple of times but am now stuck in the "analysis paralysis" concerning hardtail vs FS.
    You could opt for a softtail like a Moots mooto x YBB but it's pricey. Or you could demo something like a Specialized Epic or Camber with a brain shock. I recently rode with a friend who just went back to a carbon hardtail after riding a Salsa Spearfish for a long time and he loves the snappiness of the hardtail and the instant power transfer feel. I've ridden several full suspension bikes and finally settled back on a ti hardtail. With a ti or carbon seatpost that's designed to give, it's a very comfortable ride.

My next rig is probably going to be a Canfield EPO so I can run a slacker hardtail with bigger tires, or 650b+ if I choose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Need help. I want to buy a new ti bike next month, what will I choose MT29 or Ridgeline29? What are the pros and cons. Thanks in advance guys.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by brownjapanese View Post
    Need help. I want to buy a new ti bike next month, what will I choose MT29 or Ridgeline29? What are the pros and cons. Thanks in advance guys.
    Oooppps. My question was already answered in earlier message... Can you just share me the setup you've done on your MT29. And some pics of the bike. Thanks.

DFMBA.org
    One suggestion. The Ridgeline is a 69.5 degree headangle at 100mm of travel. If you want a bike that's more trail-oriented ask Lynskey to change the fork to 120mm. This will slacken the h/a by another degree. They should change the fork for no charge.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk