mtbr member
    Dec 2013

First Bike - Lynskey FS-140?

I'm looking to get into mountain biking with a full suspension all-mountain 650b. Frame wise, I was considering carbon fiber or titanium. I've heard mixed things about titanium's practicality for full suspension. Purchasing wise, place of manufacture is a pretty big consideration for me, but not the only one. I was looking at the complete XT builds of the Lynskey FS-140 (titanium), the Intense Carbine 275, and the Pivot Mach 6. The Lynskey is the only real made in America bike in that list. It's also a full grand cheaper. Components seem comparable across all 3.

I would probably just go ahead and pull the trigger on the Lynskey and keep an extra $1000 in my pocket and feel warm hearted about supporting American workers if it wasn't for the near absolute dearth of information available online. There are plenty of rave reviews for the Pivot and what I've read about the Intense is mixed. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    I love ti bikes, and own two, but on a FS frame I think it makes more sense to sink your money into the best suspension design, not pay for a wonder metal that can provide a nice compliant ride, like Ti can, in a frame type that doesn't really need or benefit from that compliance. I'm sure the Lynskey is a fine bike, but it's sporting suspension that was cutting edge 15 years ago, and it will probably be heavier and less stiff than other comparably priced alu or carbon options.
    Look at Turner's Flux and Burner....legendary ride quality and customer support, made in the USA, with the very best (DW Link) suspension system available.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Ventana is also made in USA

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I saw one of the Lynsky's yesterday. It's a very pretty bike but seems like a lot of bling to me. I'm not a fan of the twisted downtube with a weld joint to hold it together. If you are looking for a top quality American made 27.5 bike you have to check out the Turner Flux and Burner.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    Look at Turner's Flux and Burner....legendary ride quality and customer support, made in the USA, with the very best (DW Link) suspension system available.
    Just like Intense, Turner does not make their Carbon bike frames in the US, they both make all their Aluminum frames in America.

For the OP, neither website is very clear if they have the bike made complete overseas or just the frame with final assembly and QC done state side.

For the record I have a Carbine 275(year old now) and love it

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ymiller996 View Post
    Just like Intense, Turner does not make their Carbon bike frames in the US, they both make all their Aluminum frames in America.

For the OP, neither website is very clear if they have the bike made complete overseas or just the frame with final assembly and QC done state side.

For the record I have a Carbine 275(year old now) and love it
    My mistake - thought Turner was making a carbon version of the burner, only the Czar is in carbon - so Burner and Flux USA made as stated, but not the desired frame material OP was looking for.

mtbr member
    I've ridden Ti FS bikes. No discernible benefit over aluminum from my perspectiv. If you want made in America 27.5 go get a Turner or if you want slightly lighter weight from American companies look at carbine, Mach 6, Bronson.

mtbr member
    The Lynsky is a stunner but weight wise the frame is just as heavy as the Aluminum Intense Tracer 275, so don't think your saving weight buying Ti.
    That said if I could find a lower price on one I allready have a build planned that would be a travistty of bling given my low skill and strength level.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Being that my brother has the bike in question. It is a true stunner. His bike came in at just over 25 lbs with XT trail pedals. Full XX1 and Reynolds Carbon rims.
    I was able to ride if for a few weeks this summer and the thing was a real fun ride.
    It climbed very well and was just fun to ride.
    The only thing we noticed was some play in the rear shock eyelet bushing.
    Lynsky said it was a issue with the pin and all there bikes did that.
    Working for the only dealer in SLC they ended up making a new pin for the bike.
    I hope they fixed this in all the frames.
    That being said the frame is one of the most beautiful frames I have ever seen. If I can have him take a picture I will post it or have him post it.
    If you want a frame that will have people asking questions and just a very cool bike pick one up.
    VM
    DH CBros One 11
    XC CBros Sauce
    29" CBros Nimble 9
    4x Staats
    BMX Specialized S-Works 20
    Road Specialized Allez cromo

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Also if you check out there facebook page you can find pictures of a Silver model 140.
    No twisted down tube and it should be cheaper. Still made in the US.
    VM
    DH CBros One 11
    XC CBros Sauce
    29" CBros Nimble 9
    4x Staats

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider View Post
    That said if I could find a lower price on one I allready have a build planned that would be a travistty of bling given my low skill and strength level.
    Haha! Travesty of bling....good one

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    If you buy from most companies you are supporting many US employees. I work for a Giant dealer and many of the global managers for their lines are American. In dealing with the company not one person wasn't American. Manufactured in Taiwan maybe, but plenty of US people employed with any company you deal with. The choice of 140-150mm carbon AM/Enduro bikes is staggering. Giant Trance (SX) 27.5 Advanced, GT Force 27.5, Norco, Intense, Rocky Mountain Altitude, Santa Cruz Bronson, Trek, Scott, and I'm not sure who else. And that's just the 27.5s.

Lynskey frames have a rep of being a bit too flexy in my parts. On a road bike it's a pain, on a 140mm AM, does anyone really care?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I am 220 with hydration pack and gear.
    The FS-140 had no flex that I could find.
    I race Dh here in Utah and can hammer stuff.
    The frame never did anything weird and the BB was super stiff.
    I also rode a full carbon Intense Carbine with a full Enve Build..
    Both bike pedaled very well.
    But your talking about two bikes at the top of the food chain.
    I have never ridden any of the Lynsky road bikes so I cannot comment on them.
    Just the the FS-140.
    VM
    DH CBros One 11
    XC CBros Sauce
    29" CBros Nimble 9
    4x Staats

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'll just say that I was glad that my 1st MTB was a used quality bike(RacerX), as I rode it only a little the 1st year and a little 8 years later when I finally did get into riding.
    '10 Marin MountVision 650b conversion

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I built my second bike. It was my "dream bike" to be cherished forever. That frame is hanging on my wall now three years later with the parts living on with a different frame. The odds of you knowing exactly what you'll want in a bike on your first try are slim to none. There's so much variation between length of travel, suspension designed for pedalling vs chunk, quick handling vs stable etc. If money is no object, then buy away. Personally, I'd buy something cheaper with SLX grade components that I'm not going to mind bashing over rocks as you develop some initial skills. After that you'll probably have a better idea what you're looking for in a bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Lenz Sport makes a Revelation, which is American made (I think) and would be comparable to the Turners. I was researching this very topic while back and ended up deciding on a Salsa Horsetheif 1 since my LBS could get me the best bang for the buck.

Ibis Mojo, Scott Genius 710, Jamis XCT, Santa Cruz all have carbon options, but I'm not sure about their various American-made credentials.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    There is a deal on a 2013 Pro650 FS at the Lynskey Loft right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    I built my second bike. It was my "dream bike" to be cherished forever. That frame is hanging on my wall now three years later with the parts living on with a different frame. The odds of you knowing exactly what you'll want in a bike on your first try are slim to none. There's so much variation between length of travel, suspension designed for pedalling vs chunk, quick handling vs stable etc. If money is no object, then buy away. Personally, I'd buy something cheaper with SLX grade components that I'm not going to mind bashing over rocks as you develop some initial skills. After that you'll probably have a better idea what you're looking for in a bike.
    This is probably the best advice yet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    OP,
    Any exposure to MTB?
    Skill level?
    Local terrain, i.e. smooth, rocky, hills, mountains, plains?

You would treat that bike much better with even 6 months experience. There're many little moments that can trash components.
    '10 Marin MountVision 650b conversion

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    Amen...