mtbr member

Why did Tomac stop

making the 98Special? It still has a very current/like design ala racerx/hammerhead. I am kinda disapointed now as their line goes from 3.5" bikes to 5"trail bikes. Any reviews on the new Eli? or time frame when it will be available to us?

After having problems with a lot of lightweight F/S I really like the sturdyness of the 98 without a big weight penalty. Oh well, glad I can pick up a closeout cheap.

mtbr member

trying to add a picture

[/QUOTE]

Happy Biker
    Apr 2004

Upset Another Broken Frame

Steve,

It would appear I have encountered the same problem as you have with your 98 Special.

How did you get on with a frame replacment from American Bike Company, were they OK to deal with or was it hassle, I am based in the UK.

I have been talking to them for a week now and not got very far.

If I knew how I could post a picture of the frame but can never seem to get pictures to appear.

Let me know how you got on and who you dealt with @ American bike.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    My frame broke on my 2003 Tomac 98 Special.

I took it to a local American Bicycle Group dealer to return it to Tomac.
    I've had communiction with them on a regualr basis and so far I expect a good
    result.

Fragilie
    Quote Originally Posted by NoVA-b
    making the 98Special? It still has a very current/like design ala racerx/hammerhead. I am kinda disapointed now as their line goes from 3.5" bikes to 5"trail bikes. Any reviews on the new Eli? or time frame when it will be available to us?

After having problems with a lot of lightweight F/S I really like the sturdyness of the 98 without a big weight penalty. Oh well, glad I can pick up a closeout cheap.
    I have the Eli. It's a great bike when not broken. Climbs extremely well in all travel modes
    and goes down just as good. After hearing some annoying creaking noises for a couple of
    days I found cracks on all four welds that hold the seat tube to the main frame. Hopefully they will warranty it.

mtbr member
    Looking back on it, this was one of those dumb questions that I got to find the answer first hand. A couple of months after my original post, mine cracked at the head tube and broke in half. Tomac's Warranty Service was wonderful and even called to see if I was ok. With in 3 weeks they a new frame was waiting at the lbs for me, though it was a few months until I was able to or wanted to ride it. These bikes ride fantastic as evident from the popularity of similar designs like the RX100 and Hammerhead frames but the quality is completely different. Glad to hear no one else was hurt as a result of the failures, and just a good reason to inspect any creaking on any frame.

-Eric B- have your lbs contact Tomac's division of ABG to facilitate your warranty claim. They will probably have to send your frame in for inspection but when factoring in shipping time Tomac is very quick with their warranty service.

Fragilie
    Looking back on it, this was one of those dumb questions that I got to find the answer first hand. A couple of months after my original post, mine cracked at the head tube and broke in half. Tomac's Warranty Service was wonderful and even called to see if I was ok. With in 3 weeks they a new frame was waiting at the lbs for me, though it was a few months until I was able to or wanted to ride it. These bikes ride fantastic as evident from the popularity of similar designs like the RX100 and Hammerhead frames but the quality is completely different. Glad to hear no one else was hurt as a result of the failures, and just a good reason to inspect any creaking on any frame.

-Eric B- have your lbs contact Tomac's division of ABG to facilitate your warranty claim. They will probably have to send your frame in for inspection but when factoring in shipping time Tomac is very quick with their warranty service.
    Thanks for the info. It makes me feel better knowing that they took care of your frame. I'm just kind of sketchy about building up the new one. I was considering selling it once or if they replace it and buying the Azonic saber. One of my riding buddies broke his 98 special twice. I really don't feel like trying to warranty a frame out every 3 months and from what I've read the saber seems to be a pretty stout trail bike and the best bang for the buck out there right now.

Real Men Cope
    I have a 2003 98 special and reading all the complaints I feel like I'm ridng a time bomb. I inspect the thing before/after every ride expecting the worst. I'm just waiting out my time before the warden (wife) lets me get a new Specialized 120. But until then please don't break!!

Fragilie
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Savage
    I have a 2003 98 special and reading all the complaints I feel like I'm ridng a time bomb. I inspect the thing before/after every ride expecting the worst. I'm just waiting out my time before the warden (wife) lets me get a new Specialized 120. But until then please don't break!!
    I just ordered a Cove hustler xc. I couldn't hold out on the warranty and getting tire of riding my hardtail all the time.. So I'll probably be selling a new Eli frame after awhile. I wonder how hard it will be to sell? I did look at the spez 120 also. Pretty nice bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    These bikes ride fantastic as evident from the popularity of similar designs like the RX100 and Hammerhead frames but the quality is completely different.
    The 98 special is not the same design as a Titus, Hammerhead or Turner, all which are FSR suspension designs. The 98 special is a seatstay single pivot 4 bar like a Jamis, Kona and others.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Update: Tomac (ABG) just sent me my replacement, a 2005 Revolver with the Manitou Swinger 3-Way!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountyman
    Update: Tomac (ABG) just sent me my replacement, a 2005 Revolver with the Manitou Swinger 3-Way!
    Sweet!!! Let us know how you like the Revolver.

I ordered a Taos this fall. There is no Tomac dealer in my area, so I dealt directly with them to get a frame, and they were great to deal with!

They set the deal up with an LBS in my area, Tomac even kicked my LBS in the butt to get me the frame cause they were being slow.

Customer service like that makes for lifelong customers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well Frame update, problems

Well, received the Revolver frame as per last post. I was in the midst of a bike overhaul class when the frame break was noticed after 1st class.

Some problems arose with the 05 Revolver, LBS told me there are no rear brake mounts for the pulley brakes from the 98 Special. Therefore, paid $100 for rear wheel with disk brake rotor from LBS and bought an Avid & rear disc brake from JensonUSA.
    The bb had frozen into the 98 Special frame, so I had to buy another one from LBS since JensonUSA was on such backorder for all their bb's.

Then, while trying to put it all together after finally just getting bb from LBS, we realized the front derailluer is not compatible. And, chain was too short to fit Revolver based on it
    dimensions.

The Revolver looks awesome, I just think that ABG should cover some of the expenses for all the componentry I've had to buy. Anyone have any kind of similar issues with a warranty bike? I just sent e-mails to Jenson and ABG reps inquiring, but am not confident.

ABG did ask if the Revolver was acceptable, but I had no way of knowing of these issues, and expect them to have been able to tell me. Am I being unreasonable? Is Jenson? ABG?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mountyman
    Well, received the Revolver frame as per last post. I was in the midst of a bike overhaul class when the frame break was noticed after 1st class.

Some problems arose with the 05 Revolver, LBS told me there are no rear brake mounts for the pulley brakes from the 98 Special. Therefore, paid $100 for rear wheel with disk brake rotor from LBS and bought an Avid & rear disc brake from JensonUSA.
    The bb had frozen into the 98 Special frame, so I had to buy another one from LBS since JensonUSA was on such backorder for all their bb's.

Then, while trying to put it all together after finally just getting bb from LBS, we realized the front derailluer is not compatible. And, chain was too short to fit Revolver based on it
    dimensions.

The Revolver looks awesome, I just think that ABG should cover some of the expenses for all the componentry I've had to buy. Anyone have any kind of similar issues with a warranty bike? I just sent e-mails to Jenson and ABG reps inquiring, but am not confident.

ABG did ask if the Revolver was acceptable, but I had no way of knowing of these issues, and expect them to have been able to tell me. Am I being unreasonable? Is Jenson? ABG?
    JensonUSA backed off it.. ABG/Tomac agreed to send me some stuff: jersey, whatever to keep me happy. Works for me.