mtbr member
    Oct 2004

when did abg take over litespeed...

just wondering, finishing up building an '01 owl hollow and wondered who was running things when it was made.

banned
    Feb 2005
    ABG didn't take over Litespeed. ABG is Litespeed and they bought their competitors and licensed the names of the other companies and moved them into Litespeed's operations and moved the manufacturing of the aluminum bikes to Taiwan. Unfortunately, the al bikes weren't crafted well in the Taiwanese factory. There was someone a last year that posted a Tomac that failed at every weld, including a seat tube. Major cost cutting in the manufacturing of those frames. Same for the Ti bikes.

So to answer your question, you have an ABG Litsepeed, but I think ABG becamed named as such in 02.

banned
    Apr 2004

Lets see some pictures of the

Quote Originally Posted by daverk
    just wondering, finishing up building an '01 owl hollow and wondered who was running things when it was made.
    Owl Hollow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

will post as soon as i can, fork was backordered but.....

will have it next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Nazi
    Owl Hollow.

Team Cspine

just curious...

Quote Originally Posted by mtbgrasshopper
    ABG didn't take over Litespeed. ABG is Litespeed and they bought their competitors and licensed the names of the other companies and moved them into Litespeed's operations and moved the manufacturing of the aluminum bikes to Taiwan. Unfortunately, the al bikes weren't crafted well in the Taiwanese factory. There was someone a last year that posted a Tomac that failed at every weld, including a seat tube. Major cost cutting in the manufacturing of those frames. Same for the Ti bikes.

So to answer your question, you have an ABG Litsepeed, but I think ABG becamed named as such in 02.
    ...if the price on Litespeeds went down a bit since they're being mass produced in Taiwan?
    Sorry what?

mtbr member
    I realize you've had a bad experience w/ LS, but can you comment on exactly what your source is for the saying there has been "Major cost cutting in the manufacturing of those frames. Same for the Ti bikes."

As for aluminum bikes made in Taiwan - while nobody should ever be sold a substandard bike, I don't really understand why anybody buys an aluminum LS. LS is a manufacturer of Ti bikes. It's like going to a world reknown seafood restaurant and ordering the steak.