mtbr member
    Feb 2007

what's the scoop on litespeed?

I'm expecting my 05 pisgah to arrive soon and I'm wondering whether the negatives that I've heard about them is justified? They definitely aren't good with second owner warranty but that isn't their policy.

Are they a good company that makes good bikes?

Currently un-unemployed

Uhhhhhhhhhhh, care to elaborate

Quote Originally Posted by timms
    I'm expecting my 05 pisgah to arrive soon and I'm wondering whether the negatives that I've heard about them is justified? They definitely aren't good with second owner warranty but that isn't their policy.

From what I've heard, their one of the better companies, but that's just me. What have you heard about them that's so bad? They make excellent bikes and are one of the most experienced companies with Ti fabrication. Ti often gets a lifetime warranty slapped on it because the frames are quite durable and virtually immune to fatigue over their typical lifespan (unless severly crashed), so they actually can last a lifetime of use . Their are very few Ti frames that get warrantied.

Very few companies in any business trade extend their warranties to second owners, and for good reasons (some legal/liability). Bike manufacturers that do usually charge a nominal fee to have the bike inspected and evaluated in order to extend the coverage to another owner.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Unemployed_mechanic
    From what I've heard, their one of the better companies, but that's just me. What have you heard about them that's so bad? They make excellent bikes and are one of the most experienced companies with Ti fabrication. Ti often gets a lifetime warranty slapped on it because the frames are quite durable and virtually immune to fatigue over their typical lifespan (unless severly crashed), so they actually can last a lifetime of use . Their are very few Ti frames that get warrantied.

Very few companies in any business trade extend their warranties to second owners, and for good reasons (some legal/liability). Bike manufacturers that do usually charge a nominal fee to have the bike inspected and evaluated in order to extend the coverage to another owner.

The warranty thing doesn't bother me, I have no expectation of warranty. People seem to frown upon them as if they're just a name. It was a pretty stupid question on my part anyway.

mtbr member
    All I know about them is that the original owner/builder for the company sold it in order to pursue a career making more limited numbers of frames. I'm not sure whether a change in quality came about because of that or not.

Some people like to slag on companies etc that undergo such changes. Sometimes I think it's just a way for those people to show that they've been around the scene longer than others. "Oh, I remember back when Litespeed was a good brand but then such and such left", "Back in my day Ibis WAS good but then they started farming out their production"... Blah blah, it's like people that like a certain music group until they become "too well known".

Not sure if that's the case with Litespeed or not though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-T
    All I know about them is that the original owner/builder for the company sold it in order to pursue a career making more limited numbers of frames. I'm not sure whether a change in quality came about because of that or not.

Some people like to slag on companies etc that undergo such changes. Sometimes I think it's just a way for those people to show that they've been around the scene longer than others. "Oh, I remember back when Litespeed was a good brand but then such and such left", "Back in my day Ibis WAS good but then they started farming out their production"... Blah blah, it's like people that like a certain music group until they become "too well known".

Not sure if that's the case with Litespeed or not though.
    Yeah, they were sold to american cycle group in 199?. When I get the bike I'll make sure to give a pretty thorough review including some high def weld pics etc.

The points you made in your second paragraph make sense.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I am the second owner of a Liteseed and have found ABG great to help me with issuses, you can get these guys on the phone! thats rare now days.Guess for the 1200.00 I saved, I bought my own warranty. Very happy so far with ABG.

Litespeeds Rule
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by timms

They are the best and most experienced at making Ti bikes. If you are ever near Chatanooga, TN you have to stop by their factory. You will be impressed.

The owner of Litespeed bought Merlin, QR and Tomac in '00. They now call themselves ABG.

Frank