mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Whats happened to Tomac bikes ?

anyone know ?? did they close down ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Litespeed/ABG released Tomac from their contract about a year and a half back. The sales numbers weren't high enough for ABG, and the price point was too close to the AL Litespeeds. At the time, Tomac was looking for a new distributor, but I haven't heard anything since then.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Tomac Brand Licensed to Joel Smith, Brand to Relaunch in 2007

JUNE 19, 2006 -- LINCOLN, NE (BRAIN)—Joel Smith, former director of North American sales and brand management at Answer Products, has licensed the Tomac brand of bicycles from John Tomac and will relaunch the brand with new bicycles mid-year 2007.

“Starting my own business and basing it around a great brand and name like Tomac has been a dream of mine,” said Smith. “The focus will be on producing bikes that you really, really want to own. In my 20 years of mountain biking, there have only been a few that fit into this category. My plan is to make more.”

The company will be headquartered in Lincoln, Nebraska, where Smith resides.

“The common misconception is that there is no mountain biking in Nebraska, but you’d be extremely surprised,” Smith said. “The biking and the biking culture are really good in Lincoln. Riding is also close to town.”

The Tomac brand was originally formed by a partnership of Doug Bradbury, founder of Manitou suspension forks, and John Tomac, one of the most respected and accomplished racers of all time.

“Bradbury and Johnny T. will still be heavily involved in the company,” said Smith. “They both have such a strong understanding of the bikes, the market and the industry that they are strong resources for me, especially during the start-up period.”

The Tomac website, www.tomac.com, will be relaunched in mid-July with information about the brand direction and future bicycles.

Interested consumers, retailers and distributors should contact Smith directly at jsmith@tomac.com or (402) 261-3988.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    This is fantastic news to the industry! Tomac bikes seemed destined to disappear into oblivion until now. Joel Smith sounds psyched to restore Tomac bikes, thank heavens for him!

No good in rock gardens..
    Cool!

I just bought a Taos.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    In case anyone cares they are back online, I do since I own one and need a couple of parts ...

Clicky Tomac Website

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sparst
    This is fantastic news to the industry! Tomac bikes seemed destined to disappear into oblivion until now. Joel Smith sounds psyched to restore Tomac bikes, thank heavens for him!
    Hope he's got deep pockets.

Really deep pockets.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Its too bad too becuase I really like my tomac special pro 98 )-:

Bike companies a re like dropzones in skydiving, gooooooooood luck.

banned
    We should run a death pool on Tomac's umpteenth run to see how long it takes for him and Joel to go out of business.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Come on, here smoke this, ride that, drink those. I hear you tho, its really too bad, i really dig my tomac. My 4front + 4back climbs just as well as most hard tails ive ridden )-:

4 fukin 20

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    it's funny how Tomac bikes ended up this way.... i mean c'mon, the name itself is already a winner. and with the 'Bradbury' name on each bike, it's as good as it gets! maybe it's high time they change the 'look' of their frames to something more conventional.. i recall someone suggesting the resemblance of the current frames to animal carcasses

i sure wish the best for them for it'll be real sad to lose a brand so iconic

banned
    Bradbury isn't exactly known for making solid products. He was the founder of Manitou and you can see how long their forks last. I also don't see the name being a winner, rather something that has to be dug up from a less than sterling past. God knows what happened at ABG to make them deteriorate to the point where the frames were failing left and right and then the flattering severence, while JT and DB took a backseat and collected paychecks. I wonder how much of the same it will be now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Hmmm... i think they deserve alot more credit than what you think!? afterall, one's a great athlete and the other a suspension maestro. i don't know if Bradbury is still involve in Manitou these days, but one thing for sure, their forks are pretty darn good

perhaps i should put it this way instead: the brand had such potential, though it's performance didn't quite match up

mtbr member

Good job! Tomac is Back !!! Yuhoooo.....

check it out........
    www.tomacbikes.com

I really missed tomac a lot!! Lets see what will in store for 2007 !!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Here is a good write up about what became of Tomac:

http://www.mountainbiketales.com/articles/tomac.htm
    Ever been to Mountain Bike Tales Digital Magazine? Now if only the print rags would catch on!