Old School
    Jun 2008

What happened to the Tanasi?

Hello all, I've owned a Tanasi for about the last 7 years and while it's been a completely trouble free ride that i have zero interest in replacing, i was considering upgrading some of the components on the bike so i poked around the litespeed website to see what the newest version is sporting from a component perspective and to see what changes have been done to the frame. While looking at the site, i noticed they no longer make this model. At first I just thought they changed the name of the model, but it doesn't look like they even offer a 6/4 ti bike any longer. So does anyone know the story why they no longer offer a Tanasi or 6/4 ti in general?

thanks
    -Nathan

mtbr member
    Damn good question; I too have a Tanasi, a naked frame that has yet to be built except for insertion of a Chris King Headset but also wondered the same question. I believe that like the elimination of the Ti rear triangle on the Niota, it is all to do with costs cutting. The introduction of the new Airbus has essentially depleted the availability of titanium world wide and Litespeed have responded by eliminating alot of there frames, especially the 6/4 blend of Ti. Pity because the Tanasi is probably the finest titanium hard tail ever but expensive and I for one will never part with my frame!
    "Carpe diem, quam minimun credula postero"- Seize the day, trust as little as possible in tomorrow.(Horace)

Old School
    Jun 2008
    Wouldn't you know it, as soon as i say "trouble free" i end up having an issue. The lower bottle cage bolt insert on the seat tube is spinning in the tube. Oh well... not a big deal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    As a former LS employee, I can tell you that the price of 6/4 almost tripled from 2004 to 2005, basically making an already ridiculously expensive bike unbuyable by 99% of the population. I had a 6/4 Merlin XLM that I sold and immediately regretted it. I left with a merlin 4.0 which is what I ride now, but the new suspension tech can't replace the responsiveness, lightweight, and overall feel of a quality 6/4 hardtail.
    Cherish your tanasi because it is likely that we will not see 6/4 in a litespeed (or any american bicycle) for a long time.

regarding the bottle rivnut... any bike shop should be able to replace that.

Old School
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for the input. I suppose that makes a lot of sense. The Tanasi has been such an awesome bike for me that I'm unlikely to ever get rid of it. When I bought it, the Tanasi replaced a bike that I was convinced I'd miss forever. Over the 2.5 years I worked at a high end bike shop in Kansas City, I built this really nice Pre-Schwinn, Yeti Arc that was one heck of a race rocket. The Tanasi is actually just a hair heavier than my old Arc in race form, but it climbs better, is more comfortable, and I find myself grabbing for the brakes much less often on fast descents. I can't imagine getting rid of it, as to this day it still brings a smile to my face every time I point it up (or down) a trail.

I'll check with my local shop about the bottle rivet. Thanks for the tip.