mtbr member
    Jul 2008

What fork for a '98 Litespeed Obed

I need to put a new fork on my '98 obed. Any suggestions with links? It's getting harder and harder to find 80mm V-brake forks. I'm considering a 100mm but am worried it will overly change the geometry. Even 100mm V brake forks are becoming rare.

BTW, it seems every time I look in this thread it's shrinking!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    bump; just in case this was missed///

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i recently went through the same thing with my 99 merlin mountain frame. i was running a 63mm sid and was looking for a new fork. i got a really good deal on a 2008 reba team with uturn which let me set it anywhere between 85mm and 115mm. even at 85mm i didnt like the way it rode. the reba is a great fork but it just chabged the whole way the bike rode. maybe a 80mm wouldnt be to bad. plus i think the difference in ride height between a standard 80mm fork and adjustable height fork turned down to 85mm is more than 5mm. i switched the reba to another frame i have and the merlin is hanging in the garage forkless. would be curious what you decide on and how it rides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have had the same Litespeed frame for 10 years now. I've only 80mm or less travel forks on it. A few years back I had a 100mm Marz fork that just wasn't right for the bike, so I advise against 100mm. You could run a front disc brake just so you could have greater choices in forks and then convert the rear to disc brake with an adaptor to maintain uniformity in look. I know there are disc adaptors to convert frames that are made without rear end disc tabs. Though, you'd also need to convert your hubs to disc compatible.
    Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the input. Being this isn't my primary ride anymore, I was considering putting a rockshox 318 air sprung u-turn on it. Then I can easily put it at 85mm. It's still hard to wanto to put something like this on an all xtr bike....

The one thing which I am kind of confused with is sag. My old manitou on this bike has virtually no sag. Probably about 5 millimeters. The new 80 and even 100mm forks have you dial in a sag of 12-20mm for an 80mm or 15-25 for a 100mm. Therefore the ride would be about 65mm for an 80mm fork or 80mm for a 100mm fork. Which isn't far off from the original ride.

Still, this frame still came with the option of a rigid fork..

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Why don't you look into a Rock Shox SID? They have options of either 80mm or 100mm and choice of disc or brake bosses. The TORA you mention should be fine, but I agree, it seems the Obed deserves something more high end and lighter. I have not known to run sag on front suspension, only rear.

My Obed is a frame I'll like very much and when it was my primary ride, I had a mix of carbon and XTR components on it.
    Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

mtbr member
    I agree on the SID suggestion. My 2000 Toccoa has the original 63 mm SID XC on it, but I am upgrading it to a 2009 80mm SID Team (with V-brake bosses). We'll see how it feels. I am a Clydesdale rider, so I wanted something light but beefy up front.
    Gila Proven

mtbr member
    i had fox float 100 rlc on my 94 obed. you can switch between 80 and 100mm by changing the spacers around. http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories