Thread: Tomac Revolver?

mtbr member

Tomac Revolver?

Anyone have any input on the Revolver? Pics etc.?
    How does it ride? Is it worth the $2500 price tag?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Yes

Tomac bikes are the unsung heros of the mtnbike world. I own a Taos and Revolver. Both are very well made and finished. The ride of the Revolver is like close to my Foes FXR. I choose the Revolver because the wheel path had almost no effect on chain tension and for the value of the Tomac line.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Owned an 04 model. Used it for endurance races. Great in all respects save two.

One, the shock/seat tower design was a bit cumbersom. If you wanted to adjust the SPV, it required deflating the main chamber for access. Then adjust the SPV, and reinflate. Once I figured it out, it wasn't so bad, but no info or recommendations provided of any sort. Also, once I dialed in my preference for the SPV, it bacame a non-issue.

Two, it is now being replaced under warranty by a Niota AL. I rode it for all of 4 months, and noticed after a 24 hour event some micro stress cracks on both sides of where the seat tower supports join the top tube. Apparently there are no Revolvers left, as they only offered a Niota. If you pick up the 05 Revolver, there is a reinforcement at that exact spot, and a few in other areas too. 04 was blue, 05 is red. I must say I was suprised that someone at my weight (135lbs) could break a frame so quickly. I have never broken any of the frames/forks owned, despite having used some products with weight limit recommendations, etc. I hope I like the Niota for endurance racing!

"scared shitless"
    Quote Originally Posted by schwing_ding
    Two, it is now being replaced under warranty by a Niota AL.
    I broke my revolver ('04) too, so I hope I'll also get a Niota AL for it - do they charge anything for this "upgrade" to a litespeed frame? how long does it usually take to get a replacement frame? would you mind writing a short review on how the niota compares to the revolver (despite the difference in rear-travel...) ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    No charge for the "upgrade", at least not through REI. I don't know how long to get it as I am still waiting. It broke in mid February, and it is projected to be available for shipment in mid April. At first I had to settle for only one color available in my size, then with follow up we are waiting for it to be built. I suspect that a paying customer got the available one, and I was put on the backburner when push came to shove. Rumor has it that Tomac is looking for someone else to continue his line. If that is the case, ABG would have less interest in satisfying Tomac warranty issues than if it was to continue in thier stable. Again, just a rumor. Personally, I know better and will reserve judgement for ABG not Tomac as it is on their watch. ABG did or didn't take care of me, etc. Thankfully it is not the peak riding season, and I don't have any 'A' races until later in the year. I have been spending a lot of time on the road bike, and saving my sanity with bouts on my Cannondale SS frankenstein convert. To say I am antsy is an understatement. I can post a mini review, or rather comparison if two things happen: 1. I get the damn thing. 2. It isn't so long that I can still remember the Revolver. OK I will cut the sarcasm, but did I mention that I was antsy? One thing to note. Your '04 likely came with a 80mm Skareb. I asked REI what they would do for me given the Niota was made for a longer stroke fork. They gave me credit toward the Skareb, and have already received an '05 Minute 2 (100mm) for $100 out of pocket. That and no build up, tear down, or shipping fees. REI has been great, ABG less so for now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Just got the word (17 April). It should ship out in a week, allow another week for travel, and a day or so for the reassembly. If things go well, I could be on this thing my May 1st. I am glad it happened during this time of year. If it were during the main part of the season, 2.5 months would be unacceptable. Since I know production runs are always an issue early in the year, I can provide some latitude. Also, someone PM'd me about the new frame. I will post a comparison and writeup about the whole experience in three locations. Niota AL review, Revolver review, and somewhere on here as well. Stay tuned...

"scared shitless"
    sounds like we'll both get our frames in less than two weeks, mine is on the way to europe since last friday. Did anyone @ ABG tell you something about the colour of your new frame? Mine is said to be yellow - I'll see if I can live with that colour, otherwise I'll have to sell the frame

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The initial word was that it was going to be a matte gray color. I found one online in a lighter matte gray which was more of a silvertone. Since then, the one one on the ABG site is a darker matte gray. Probably the same, just a difference in the camera or software setting, lighting, etc. I like it a lot, as I don't like the bright colors, nor gloss paint. Hopefully that is how it will arrive. Since yours has already shipped, they may have done the yellow production run early, or perhaps it is a different size. I was on a Medium Revolver, and went with the M/L Niota. I will let you know once I see it or have indication otherwise.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

It's here...

...I picked it up 3 May, and have only set it up and rolled around the neighborhood. So far, great. I expect to see how it does on actual trail this weekend. It came in a dark matte gray color, which I happen to like. Think 80% cool gray. I went from a Medium Revolver to the M/L Niota, and the fit is spot on. I did notice the Medium Niota comes with a setback seatpost, where I am using the strait post, so that will have an affect if purchasing new vs. a warranty situation. I prefer this setup (so far) as it puts weight slighty forward. The Niota has been said to have unlimited rear traction at the expense of a lively rear end. More to follow this weekend...

"scared shitless"
    mine should arrive on monday - it's been 4 (!) weeks on its way
    but the good news: it's grey , so I won't sell it.

@ schwing_ding: so what's your impression of the niota AL?

"scared shitless"
    happy end:

mtbr member
    Any body have any experiences with the Eli? Is $1675 a decent price for one? (LX Components, Manitou Minute fork)

"scared shitless"
    IIRC the `04 eli breaks just like the revolver...