Rat Fink

Tomac Eli Frames

Is the Eli available frame-only and if so, what is the price?

Is it available with any shock other than the Swinger?

mtbr member
    I don't have a 2005 price list, but on the 2004 list the Eli went for $1,335, not sure if the price went up in 05 though.

mtbr member
    Just checked with Tomac and a 2005 Eli frame will run you $1,395. Their price list does not have any shock options though.

i smell bacon
    does anybody have any time on an eli frame? i'm considering purchasing one and and wonder if anybody could give me input.
    thanks
    -dave-
    "I smell bacon"

Fragilie
    Quote Originally Posted by scroungydog
    does anybody have any time on an eli frame? i'm considering purchasing one and and wonder if anybody could give me input.
    thanks
    -dave-

It rides good. Not very plush but it gets the job done and climbs really well. Do not buy an 04, Tomac had lots of warranty issues with those frames. The 05 frame is beefier.

mtbr member
    I just sold a brand new frame only Eli 2005 on eBay for $560. I cracked the frame on my 98 Special Pro doing absolutely nothing but XC riding, sent it in for a warranty swap, and sold the Eli to get a Turner Flux.

I really hated to see the 98 crack. I loved that bike! I just wasn't up to the risk of cracking another Tomac since I heard it happened to quite a few folks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Chain Reaction Cycles in the UK has got them for $896, check it out:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=7694

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I rode an Eli for about 6 mo...Loved the bike & have to disagree about plushness. If the swinger is set up correctly the bike is very plush. However, my frame cracked at the seat stays (and I was doing nothing more than heavy XC riding). It was a shame, because it is one of the best riding bikes out there. For what you will spend on a new Eli, i would look at other options.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Eli and Tomac

I broke a 98 special frame twice. I agree with nkrax that it was a sweet ride. I had an Eli for a couple of months and broke that as well. I was only doing trail riding. After the third frame Tomac did not replace it saying I must be doing something wrong?

mtbr member
    I can get a new 05 Eli complete bike for $1675 with LX Components and the Manitou Minute fork. Not a lot of options of good bikes that we can actually test ride in AK. Is this worth pursuing?

Fragilie
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbike_AK
    I can get a new 05 Eli complete bike for $1675 with LX Components and the Manitou Minute fork. Not a lot of options of good bikes that we can actually test ride in AK. Is this worth pursuing?

It all depends on how hard you'll be riding the bike. I just started to push mine and cracked the frame in six spots. The frame was covered under warranty and then I sold it. The guy who bought the new warranty frame from me broke it about a month later. So I would say stay away from it. Especially now that Tomac is no longer around.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric B
    It all depends on how hard you'll be riding the bike. I just started to push mine and cracked the frame in six spots. The frame was covered under warranty and then I sold it. The guy who bought the new warranty frame from me broke it about a month later. So I would say stay away from it. Especially now that Tomac is no longer around.
    Yeah, maybe I will lowball them and see what kind of deal I can make happen. Otherwise it is back to saving.. The funny thing about bikes is there is always a better one for just a few hundred more! You save $2,000 and then you think, if I only had $2500, then once you get $2500, you wish you had $3000 the cycle continues!

I think I am going to concentrate on a good frame and let the "good parts" come as needed. Leaning toward the Yeti 575 at this point...

Thanks for the input.

Fragilie
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbike_AK
    Yeah, maybe I will lowball them and see what kind of deal I can make happen. Otherwise it is back to saving.. The funny thing about bikes is there is always a better one for just a few hundred more! You save $2,000 and then you think, if I only had $2500, then once you get $2500, you wish you had $3000 the cycle continues!

I think I am going to concentrate on a good frame and let the "good parts" come as needed. Leaning toward the Yeti 575 at this point...

Thanks for the input.
    Yeah I totally aree with you. I think that would be the best way to go, get what you feel is the best frame and build as you go. It might not be the cheapest way but, once you're done you have what you want. You won't be disappointed with the 575, I rode one for about 6 months and loved it. A buddy kept humping my leg for it so I regretfully sold it and went to Turners.

Good luck,

Eric