Thread: Tomac ELI

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Tomac ELI

Does anyone ride a Tomac Eli yet? My LBS is willing to make one with the Swinger 4-way, Minute 3, Hayes HFX9's, Crossland wheels, Thompson Post and stem, with all 03' XT gear for about 2K. He has a new Eli FSA/XTR there for me to ride, but I have not heard good or bad things about this bike yet. There seems to be a lot of frame there, and I would like to keep it to about 29 pounds.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I rode one at Sea Otter

First the frame does look kind of funky, but it was lighter (around ~28?) and much stiffer than I thought it would be. I wouldn't call the ride plush although it pedaled great and I was really surprised on how well it climbed. Felt to me like a lighter, stiffer version of my Giant VT (not too surprising since they both have SPV). Really liked it a lot. Not as much as the Ventana X-5 I rode, but very impressive.
    I didn't see the MB UK review, but in my experience with SPV shocks they are very sensitive to setup. If they didn't have the bike dialed in that could have accounted for their unhappiness. MBA just did a review on it and loved it (what else is new?). Their only complaint they had was that the bike is rather wide and some of their testers rubbed their legs while pedaling. I didn't have that problem and I was on the Sea Otter XC course for about an hour, YMMV.
    All in all I would say that if you took the bike on a test ride and liked it you would probably be very happy with it. Oh, and it looks really nice in black!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Steve3, the fact you have never seen a Six Shooter in

real life doesn't stop you. I have a Six Shooter and the weld is exactly in the middle of the shock support, not after, as the Tomac picture shot from a fisheye camera would indicate. Not actually having personal knowledge of a bike is not going to stop you from stating an opinion. is it. I told you last time it was a camera angle but memory is not your forte is it.

Steve3 hates Tomac because he broke his Tomac 98 and they won't warrantee the frame.Last I heard he has no receipt and does not know where he purchased the bike. He thinks Tomac knows and just will not tell him.

Yes the seatstays on many Tomac bikes are wide but if you hit your legs you are pedaling inefficently with your heels in and your knees wide.

He is correct that the Six Shooter without a SPV shock is a stupid design. With a SPV shock a great light crisp strong 6 in bike. I don't like defending Tomac but his absurd rants are just unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by steve3
    I think that wide design is pretty stupid and just asks for riders complaining about banging into the tubes. I can never understand how stupid designs like this make it out of the studio. That Six Shooter was another genius design, too. "Let's put an unsupported weld right after the shock mount and see how long it lasts, regardless of the leverage considerations of the boom-type top tube.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

In all fairness to Tomac

I actually took the ELI on a couple of short 10-15 minute rides before I read the MBA article where they complain about the frame width. I never noticed it when I went on the shorter spins and I really looked for it when I took it off road in my longer ride (about an hour) and I didn't notice it then either. Not saying that other people won't have a problem with it, but it was a non issue for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Agree

I own a Tomac Eli and have had no problems with the design so far and I have fairly good size legs. I agree with your post and There have been people trying to help Steve with his bike I am one . He did buy the bike online and I know who originaly sold the bike and to whom. Steve I will ask this nicely as some one who has tried to help you out do not trash if you dont know. Yes I sell Tomac I support an entire race team with them and no problems yet. We had one of our guys get hit by a car this weekend. The impact bent the right fork leg an inch back at the crown and broke the bottom of the casting off but the frame didnt break it bent but didnt break. Ryan was going about 35 mph. when the lady pulled out in front of him. I agree also that the six shooter needed an spv. I run mine with a rominc twin tube coil over No problems yet. Getting ready to set an eli Up the same for dual and cross. Will post an update.

Shane Backes
    BackRoad Bike Too

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Steve3 bought on the internet from someone he can't ...

rememeberand now wants the frame warranteed. Sounds like Steve3. Did he purchase the bike new or used? I can't get a straight story maybe he told you. Or Steve tell us more about how you played by the rules and Tomac was just unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by All in the end
    I own a Tomac Eli and have had no problems with the design so far and I have fairly good size legs. I agree with your post and There have been people trying to help Steve with his bike I am one . He did buy the bike online and I know who originaly sold the bike and to whom. Steve I will ask this nicely as some one who has tried to help you out do not trash if you dont know. Yes I sell Tomac I support an entire race team with them and no problems yet. We had one of our guys get hit by a car this weekend. The impact bent the right fork leg an inch back at the crown and broke the bottom of the casting off but the frame didnt break it bent but didnt break. Ryan was going about 35 mph. when the lady pulled out in front of him. I agree also that the six shooter needed an spv. I run mine with a rominc twin tube coil over No problems yet. Getting ready to set an eli Up the same for dual and cross. Will post an update.

Shane Backes
    BackRoad Bike Too

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Your 98 is the first broken frame in biking history...

fortunately Turners, Intense and your new favorite Titus have never had a broken frame. Was the bike used or new when you bought on the internet from a dealer you do not know? Has your dad returned so that you can discover where you bought your bike?

Quote Originally Posted by steve3
    Yes, but my frame broke in several places from plain riding. The CPSC lab is examining the cracks.

I have no problems posting about that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

The Tomac Eli

The Tomac Eli is the real deal. I purchased my LBS's demo bike for a good deal, I won't say how much, but I stole it. The attached photo shows my new ride. I considered the Cake 2 DLX and the Jamis, but in the end had to go with the Eli. This model is much lighter than the others, yes it is more money but climbing is easier. The Minute 3 is the only way to go. Having riden the others, the FOX talas RLC is the only one that comes close. Once the suspension is dialed, it is just a machine between your legs. This ride 28 pounds in a M/L because of the frame weight. It is beefy and controls the bumbs. The frame width is a myth. You don't even notice it. On rides over an hour, my back doesn't ache like it used to on my old bike. I had this one fitted, and the low riser bars make a difference. For all around riding and festival racing/epics/12 hours I recommend it. Of course I am an older rider (33) and am not out for the best time on the course, just my best time without having to endure training 5 days a week. I love it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

... and if we just ... Hey there

Quote Originally Posted by FatTireFan
    The Tomac Eli is the real deal. I purchased my LBS's demo bike for a good deal, I won't say how much, but I stole it. The attached photo shows my new ride. I considered the Cake 2 DLX and the Jamis, but in the end had to go with the Eli. This model is much lighter than the others, yes it is more money but climbing is easier. The Minute 3 is the only way to go. Having riden the others, the FOX talas RLC is the only one that comes close. Once the suspension is dialed, it is just a machine between your legs. This ride 28 pounds in a M/L because of the frame weight. It is beefy and controls the bumbs. The frame width is a myth. You don't even notice it. On rides over an hour, my back doesn't ache like it used to on my old bike. I had this one fitted, and the low riser bars make a difference. For all around riding and festival racing/epics/12 hours I recommend it. Of course I am an older rider (33) and am not out for the best time on the course, just my best time without having to endure training 5 days a week. I love it.

I see that you finaly cleaned that thing up hope that your having fun on it I miss my bike

mtbr member
    LBS has an 05 Tomac Eli for $1675. LX Components and a Manitou Minute fork. Is this a deal? I get an extended test ride on Thursday, will post my thoughts....